Livaboard freshwater system maintenance advice sought. - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Livaboard freshwater system maintenance advice sought.

What Mark wrote.... When I lived aboard in the Eastern Caribe I used a water maker or tanked up at the fuel dock and had no problems. Returning to the NE I simply schlep water in gallon containers. We can afford it and prefer it because we don't worry. Wifey likes to drink Pelligrino so I need to schelpp that!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
.....We stow 4- 8 gallons before departing and try to keep our stores topped up with a new gallon each trip to shore......
When we leave for a two to three week cruise, we stock 20 gallon size jugs of water. It fills a storage space in the V-berth and is usually just sufficient for this trip. Also, it's never just the two of us for the entire time. Someone always joins for at least a couple of days along the way: kids, other family, friends. Always.

One gallon of water weighs over 8 lbs. Having to hump several of them would be tortuous, IMO. I actually like walking to the grocery store, when cruising. But for light stuff.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:20 AM.
post #33 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I know humping liquids is a PITA. Fortunately I don't have many guests who need to be topped up. We probably don't drink enough water, certainly not a gallon / person a day. Sure you drink and need more fluid when it's hot or your active.

I found this:

Adults
The current IOM recommendation for people ages 19 and older is around 131 ounces for men and 95 ounces for women. This refers to your overall fluid intake per day, including anything you eat or drink that contains water, like fruits or vegetables.

Of this total, men should get around 13 cups from beverages. For women, itís 9 cups.

post #34 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

My wife and I alone, consume about 40 to 50 ounces of coffee per day (between the two of us). Put guest aboard (which is fortunate, not unfortunate) and it's easy to use a whole gallon making coffee.\

I keep a water bottle at the helm and drain it constantly in the heat. Not so much in shoulder seasons.

Dehydration is the leading long term cause of ailments. Everything from organs to muscles to joints. Even constipation.

I'm a later in life convert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #35 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Put guest aboard (which is fortunate, not unfortunate) and it's easy to use a whole gallon making coffee.\
No problem with guests... I mention it because it simply means more provisions. Oddly I have invited many people to sail multiple times and they can't seem to get it together... perhaps other commitments? Dunno. Enjoy guests but don't need them to enjoy time on board.

Perhaps it's the length of time commitment? We don't do many day sails... and many of our friends are from the city and don't have wheels. Whatever.

post #36 of 42 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We don't need guests to enjoy sailing/cruising. In fact, we have so many guests, we love the rare weekend we spend alone. Guest are additional work load. However, we dominantly get great satisfaction that our family and friends are literally lined up at the door to spend a weekend. Unless weather or a mechanical failure prevents it, we always spend at least one night at anchor.

We definitely need to understand the audience, as they say. Some are fish to water and we could sail all day long, drop the hook, sleep and sail all day to get back. More likely guests don't want to be underway more than 3-4 hours. Everyone loves the dinghy ride back to the boat, in a dark anchorage, after dinner. It's funny but true.

The one thing that makes this work best, is universal accommodations. The saltiest sailor can be comfortable camping for the weekend. However, to be universally appealing to non-sailor, the creature comforts matter. Toilets that flush electrically (although I always give a lesson). Plenty of refrigeration, ice, even air conditioning when really needed. Most are in it, like they were on a day boat, touring New England. That's fine with us. I usually involve them someway in the sailing, even if very inconsequentially.

Assuredly, they want good tasting fresh water and plenty of it, not to mentioned plenty of hot water to shower in.
SanderO and GlanRock like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #37 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

I didn't read through the entire thread but thought I'd toss in our experience as we've been living aboard since Sept last year on a boat that's 37yr old with original tanks stored during winters.

We opened the access ports and scrubbed the tanks first to make sure they were free of any...mushrooms. Things looked fairly clean but there was some slight algae looking scum on one wall. We "shocked" the system a few times with a hard chlorine mix and flushed like you did. From that point on all water that entered the tank was treated with chlorine in the proportions that the CDC recommends on their website for treating CLEAR water.

We use 7gal blue storage cans on deck to increase our range as water isn't easily available here in the Bahamas and have a process for them as well. When filled we add 1 cap of bleach (about 1tsp as per cdc). This stops them from growing anything while on deck in the sun. When we empty them we wash our hands thoroughly before touching the spout and then once emptied we leave about a cup or so of water in the bottom and add another capful of bleach and shake it all around to make a concentrated mix. When ready to refill we pour that concentrated stuff out (some will become inert by then anyways) and then refill with water and add a fresh capful.

Other tips:
-run the water at the marina fill spot for a minute to flush the lines on case they haven't been used in a while
-do not touch the water can with your hose, let the water flow in freely so your hose that most likely has been touching stuff in your lazarette doesn't contaminate your supply
-when the cap is off your tank or cans keep it on a clean surface and don't let it roll around picking up crud
-we added a snap on Pur Water Filter to the sink in the galley. We don't filter the water for boiling or coffee because it tends to remove chlorine via heat but we do filter cups of drinking water. Not for safety but just for taste.

Just keep thinking sterilization when it comes to water stores. They get infected in the heat and this will bite you in the ass.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #38 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Good practice, even if a bit over.
Shelf life for bleach CL is limited.
I buy the small bottle
post #39 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Sorry for the formatting of my post. I'm on my phone at anchor and had it all spaced nicely only to now see it just vomited it into a wall of text.
post #40 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Looks fine on my device
Where are you now..and plans

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in