SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Month 41 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Don L 
#1 ·
Added a new tab page on the spreadsheet for “cost events” items that happened each month. Hint, they happen more often than you think!

Still in Boot Key Marathon FL with my fellow boat scum people. My wife and I were at the bar for Happy Hour yesterday and across the bar heard this woman say to her friend "I hate people living out on the boats. They are just scum!" Met to leave beginning of Feb, but a medical item got in the way and we realized we were trying to force ourselves to head to the Bahamas and this made no sense as we don’t have a schedule. So plan to get out of here in March.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal dollar wise even though there was big restock trip that has the freezer packed right now.

Boat costs were high. Replaced our solar controller (turned out old one wasn’t bad), got a big heavy duty tarp to make into a sun shade for the boat, got a new nav chip for chartplotter, replaced a macerator pump and got a spare. Plus a whole of those little “not counting things that add up to real $$)

Fuel was gas for the dinghy and Honda.

Marina costs were a month’s mooring in Marathon/Boot Key.

Medical were doctor visits and transportation costs involved to get there. Plus, monthly ACA plan payment that went up $55/mo. this year.

Transportation and travel costs were a rental car/gas/tolls.

Gifts include some birthday gifts and the return of some of our Christmas gifts

The total expenses were $4,530.11. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1229.91
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 1453.06
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 53.89
Dining and drinking out - $ 585.91
Entertainment - $ 34.50
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 123.54
Fees – $ -62.10
Marina - $ 348.30
Electric - $ 0
Medical - $ 483.95
Transportation and travel - $ 230.19
Gifts - $ 43.96
Water - $ 5

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are the expenses you're listing for a single month or expenses year-to-date for each category? The reason I ask is that I am in the starting stages of planning to go to live aboard/cruising life style and i am trying to estimate overall expected monthly/yearly costs.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

#6 ·
THe is for month 41 and the spread sheet cover all of them

You dont really think i cruised 41 months on like $4500 total now do you :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.