LiveAboard Pitfalls? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 05-12-2008 Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to turfguy
Some great ideas. I really appreciate the input. Thanks so much! Keep them coming.
turf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 05-12-2008
Banned

Turf, we could probably all be more helpful if you gave us more of an idea what you have in mind. Will you be dockside at a marina, on a mooring, cruisiing around? Will you be going to work in an office every day, working from home, won the lottery and no need to work? Just you alone or are there a S.O., kids, pets, to consider? etc.
post #13 of 44 Old 05-12-2008 Thread Starter

Sure here are a bit more of my plans. I will most likely be at a marina hopefully in Fl between Tampa and Charlotte Harbor area? I will like to do some cruising around coast of Fl as time permits. I will be still working I am sure. I will also be living alone (at least initially) as I am not married and have no kids. Hopefully one day might find the woman of my dreams to share the sail with!! I love the idea of being able on off days to just sail, if even for a few hrs.
Thanks for all the advice,
turf

post #14 of 44 Old 05-12-2008
Banned

electrolysis and sacrificial zincs

Learn about these if you're going to keep your boat plugged in! Stray currents (from faulty dock wiring or from your neighbor's badly maintained boat) in the water can set up electrochemical reactions that leach metal parts on your boat - essentially dissolving things like props and bronze seacocks. There's a simple solution for this, grounding the bronze on your boat and providing sacrificial piece of zinc to participate in the reaction instead of your boat parts. It can look like a "collar" on the prop shaft or a lump of zinc hung over the side on a cable.

Don't panic, just keep this thought in the back of your mind to discuss with your trusty mechanic. Not an issue in fresh water (doesn't conduct electricity) or on a mooring.
post #15 of 44 Old 05-12-2008
Banned

Get a feel for how much power you use on a daily basis, and how you will provide for that when you're away from the umbilical ("big yellow cord") for power and land line for communications.

When thinking about possessions to bring aboard, imagine packing everything you own into your kitchen cabinets - not just food and dishes, but books and tools and clothing and blankets - and you get the idea of how streamlined you need to be.
post #16 of 44 Old 05-12-2008
Telstar 28

Don't forget tools for basic repairs and maintenance. There's a lot more of that to do living on a boat, than you'd have living in an apartment. There's no landlord to call when you live on a boat... you're usually the plumber and electrician too.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #17 of 44 Old 05-14-2008 Thread Starter

How does mold and mildew affect life aboard? Are there certain practices that will reduce or lessen it? I guess good ventilation would be the most important, but would love to hear how everyone handles it.
Thanks again,
turf
post #18 of 44 Old 05-14-2008

see https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...lack-mold.html

and do a search on mold - it will bring up tons of previous discussions on the subject.

-- Jody

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #19 of 44 Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

Fix the leaks on the boat... and ventilate the boat...and mold/mildew are not much of a concern. If no water is getting in the boat from leaking deck fixtures, ports or the bilge, and you've got decent ventilation... there isn't really a problem with mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy View Post
How does mold and mildew affect life aboard? Are there certain practices that will reduce or lessen it? I guess good ventilation would be the most important, but would love to hear how everyone handles it.
Thanks again,
turf

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #20 of 44 Old 05-14-2008

Talking

Its a wonderful adventure. Im 40 still in the working world, but I wouldnt trade living aboard for anything. Its been 2.5 years for me, and in NJ we have winter....brrr I hate it but am an only childe and my parents are getting up there in age and need a hand from time to time.

Organization is important because trust me i lose stuff on my 27 foot boat all the time lol. Im going to be stepping up to a 34 footer and now is time to plan out where everything is going to go. Storage units are handy... I keep off season clothes and extra books because here in the winter we have condensation issues.

I dont think Ive met a friendlier bunch of ppl among my neighbors...we are all on the lookout for each other...you dont find that in the real world very often.

best of luck
deryk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in