North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 03-09-2018

Re: North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Are there residence requirements for these moorings? Is there a convenient dinghy dock? Do you know the cost of the moorings?
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 03-09-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Are there residence requirements for these moorings? Is there a convenient dinghy dock? Do you know the cost of the moorings?
The ones in North Cove or Tashmoo?

In Tashmoo all the moorings are private but a couple owned by the small boat yard on the east side of the harbor are rented by the yard.

There is a nice dinghy dock but usually very croweded. You have to push your bow in, tie off with a long painter and don't tilt the engine up.
flyrod likes this.
post #13 of 38 Old 03-09-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I was in Lake Tashmoo last October. There is absolutely no room to anchor anywhere in Tashmoo anymore. We borrowed a mooring with the help of a local. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.
I have a house about a mile from Tashmoo and I'm there at least every week from late spring to early fall. It may be a bit crowded but I have always found room farther back in the harbor on the west side, south of the dinghy dock. Anchored in Tashmoo off and on all last summer. Nothing compared to Block Island and much better holding.

Had a friend come through last Oct with a 44' sailboat and he had no problem finding a spot.
flyrod likes this.

post #14 of 38 Old 03-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The ones in North Cove or Tashmoo?

In Tashmoo all the moorings are private but a couple owned by the small boat yard on the east side of the harbor are rented by the yard.

There is a nice dinghy dock but usually very croweded. You have to push your bow in, tie off with a long painter and don't tilt the engine up.
No... I was asking about North Cove... the OP

post #15 of 38 Old 03-09-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Looking forward to trying North Cove out
We stop Saybrooke a couple of time is traveling the Connecticut side up or back out of the Sound.

Itís a perfect halfway stop back from Newport or Block to Northport or Port Washington areas.

Thanks for the info SanderO

Report back what it looks like new time you stop in there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #16 of 38 Old 03-10-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

No residence requirement- North Cove is a federal anchorage (your tax dollars at work!)

There is a dinghy dock on the west side of the cove at the foot of Sheffield Street on the map. The dinghy dock should get an upgrade when they build a new town dock this year.

It is a 10 min stroll from the dinghy dock to Main Street where there are many restaurants, Saybrook Hardware store, Waltís Market for reprovisioning, and the Katherine Hepburn Theatre if you are in need of a little culture.

I believe the cost for the mooring permit is currently $425.34 for the 5/1 to 11/1 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanderO, flyrod and Sal Paradise like this.

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

post #17 of 38 Old 03-10-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post

Bill, thinking?, do you know if there will be any room to anchor in the shallower 6 ft area (or anywhere) or will be

all mooring?

Iíll let you know when I get back in, Hugo. Iíve seen folks anchor just inside the entrance in the past but Iím guessing that the town will try to sell a mooring permit anywhere that they can squeeze in a swing circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

post #18 of 38 Old 03-10-2018

Thanks, Bill that will be great.
You, and so many other great contributors here at SN make this such a trusted, valued, amazing resource.
Over the years I have detailed much local info up and down the northeast coast in several notebooks, much info
from here on SN. When friends ask about cruising destinations, and often times i come up with great little known
local tidbits...I'm asked "how do you know this stuff" ...I just respond "I have friends" Thanks to all my Sailnet friends.

Going sailing now, out of Manhasset bay.
w @15 kts with gusts
billsull and Sal Paradise like this.
post #19 of 38 Old 06-19-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Tashmoo. URGENT update

They had some kind of problem with the dredging, not clear exactly what, but a partial fix was attempted that left the channel worse than before. There is a section with only 3 1/2' at MLW at the inner end of the entrance channel.

Hopefully this will be remedied soon. I imagine when the summer crowd starts arriving and finds they can't reach their moorings it will hit the fan and something will happen fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have to pass this along to my friend in Essex but he may already know about it.

Speaking of dredging, they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-19-2018

Only available to boats with less than 6' drafts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in