SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Long Island (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/)
-   -   North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/313818-north-cove-moorings-available-old-saybrook-ct.html)

billsull 03-08-2018 12:26 AM

North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Due to the ongoing dredging project expanding the mooring field, there is currently no waiting list for moorings in North Cove - I don't recall that happening in the 27 years I've been in town.

I'm really looking forward to being able to swing on my mooring all day long instead of three hours on either side of high tide! The entrance channel and main mooring field is going to be dredged to 11 feet at MLW and the sides of the mooring field will be dredged to 6 feet for shallow draft vessels. It's a beautiful and protected spot and best of all, it's below the Amtrak RR bridge, so we have access to the Sound without waiting for the bridge. The town is also starting a long-overdue renovation of the town dock at North Cove, so we should be enjoying that soon also.

By the way, for those that were interested in the thread from last year regarding transient moorings around Long Island Sound, North Cove moorings are available for up to 72 hours - look for the moorings with a yellow ribbon attached. As mooring holders, when we know that the boat will be away from the mooring for an extended period of time, we put the ribbon on the float to mark it as available. All I ask is that you let me raft up if I get back and find you on my mooring! There is also a town mooring that is open to transients - come all the way west into the cove and its the last mooring ball before you bump into the town dock.

I can't wait for the sailing season to start! As I sit here in a March snow storm, it seems like it will never get here!

Excerpt from our local paper, Harbor News:
https://www.zip06.com/news/20180306/...ix-plan-funded

"Open Moorings—Sign Up Now"

"With the North Cove dredging project nearly done, the HMCn wants boaters to know there has never been a better time to apply for a North Cove mooring. Last season, HMC had 100 moorings. This season, now that the harbor waters have been returned to design depth, more moorings can be added. This season, there will be 150 North Cove moorings available—for the first time in a long time, there is not a waiting list.

Applications for a North Cove mooring can be downloaded from the HMC’s page of the town website The Official Site of Town of Old Saybrook, CT or they can be obtained from the First Selectman’s Office at Town Hall."

mikel1 03-08-2018 01:14 AM

Re: North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Good to know see and hear . . . .

eherlihy 03-08-2018 09:15 AM

Thanks for the update! I hope that someone will post the update about the dredged channel and mooring field in ActiveCaptain after they have visited.

estopa 03-08-2018 06:19 PM

Nice, I will have to remember that if ever in the area.

mbianka 03-08-2018 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I stayed there a few years ago after a few days in Hamburg Cove. Glad to hear that it is even better now.

JimsCAL 03-08-2018 08:29 PM

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear the transient mooring policy is still in place. It's been awhile since I have been in there, but this will encourage me to visit again.

HUGOSALT 03-08-2018 08:42 PM

Had heard they were scheduled to dredge, Thanks so much for confirm and all the good info.
Have been a fan and have stayed in NC many times while heading east or returning.
Also have caught grief from friends who have gone aground (soft) in your lovely cove.
But I, and all, always enjoy an afternoon/evening in Old Saybrook.
Will be helping a friend bring their boat down from Yankee Yard/Portland in the
spring so will be checking on if any water front damage/delay in commissioning. Again thanks for
heads up.
Bill, thinking?, do you know if there will be any room to anchor in the shallower 6 ft area (or anywhere) or will be
all mooring? Just a curiousity as there are usually available moorings but i never leave boat if there is a chance
moorings owner will return. (and now I will know about guest mooring at end of field.)
Thanks

skipmac 03-08-2018 09:09 PM

Have to pass this along to my friend in Essex but he may already know about it.

Speaking of dredging, they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.

Don L 03-09-2018 08:22 AM

good info as I start my way North

eherlihy 03-09-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 2051418410)
... they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.

I was in Lake Tashmoo last October. There is absolutely no room to anchor anywhere in Tashmoo anymore. We borrowed a mooring with the help of a local. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.