North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT) - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-08-2018 Thread Starter

North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Due to the ongoing dredging project expanding the mooring field, there is currently no waiting list for moorings in North Cove - I don't recall that happening in the 27 years I've been in town.

I'm really looking forward to being able to swing on my mooring all day long instead of three hours on either side of high tide! The entrance channel and main mooring field is going to be dredged to 11 feet at MLW and the sides of the mooring field will be dredged to 6 feet for shallow draft vessels. It's a beautiful and protected spot and best of all, it's below the Amtrak RR bridge, so we have access to the Sound without waiting for the bridge. The town is also starting a long-overdue renovation of the town dock at North Cove, so we should be enjoying that soon also.

By the way, for those that were interested in the thread from last year regarding transient moorings around Long Island Sound, North Cove moorings are available for up to 72 hours - look for the moorings with a yellow ribbon attached. As mooring holders, when we know that the boat will be away from the mooring for an extended period of time, we put the ribbon on the float to mark it as available. All I ask is that you let me raft up if I get back and find you on my mooring! There is also a town mooring that is open to transients - come all the way west into the cove and its the last mooring ball before you bump into the town dock.

I can't wait for the sailing season to start! As I sit here in a March snow storm, it seems like it will never get here!

Excerpt from our local paper, Harbor News:
https://www.zip06.com/news/20180306/...ix-plan-funded

"Open Moorings—Sign Up Now"

"With the North Cove dredging project nearly done, the HMCn wants boaters to know there has never been a better time to apply for a North Cove mooring. Last season, HMC had 100 moorings. This season, now that the harbor waters have been returned to design depth, more moorings can be added. This season, there will be 150 North Cove moorings available—for the first time in a long time, there is not a waiting list.

Applications for a North Cove mooring can be downloaded from the HMC’s page of the town website The Official Site of Town of Old Saybrook, CT or they can be obtained from the First Selectman’s Office at Town Hall."
HUGOSALT, eherlihy, flyrod and 1 others like this.

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to billsull For This Useful Post:
HUGOSALT (03-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-08-2018

Re: North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Good to know see and hear . . . .
post #3 of 38 Old 03-08-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks for the update! I hope that someone will post the update about the dredged channel and mooring field in ActiveCaptain after they have visited.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 38 Old 03-08-2018

Nice, I will have to remember that if ever in the area.

George Paiva
"estopa" - [est'opa] is portuguese for Oakum.
1986 Oday 222 #686
1988 Oday 322 #169
post #5 of 38 Old 03-08-2018

Thanks for the info. I stayed there a few years ago after a few days in Hamburg Cove. Glad to hear that it is even better now.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

post #6 of 38 Old 03-08-2018

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear the transient mooring policy is still in place. It's been awhile since I have been in there, but this will encourage me to visit again.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 38 Old 03-08-2018

Had heard they were scheduled to dredge, Thanks so much for confirm and all the good info.
Have been a fan and have stayed in NC many times while heading east or returning.
Also have caught grief from friends who have gone aground (soft) in your lovely cove.
But I, and all, always enjoy an afternoon/evening in Old Saybrook.
Will be helping a friend bring their boat down from Yankee Yard/Portland in the
spring so will be checking on if any water front damage/delay in commissioning. Again thanks for
heads up.
Bill, thinking?, do you know if there will be any room to anchor in the shallower 6 ft area (or anywhere) or will be
all mooring? Just a curiousity as there are usually available moorings but i never leave boat if there is a chance
moorings owner will return. (and now I will know about guest mooring at end of field.)
Thanks
post #8 of 38 Old 03-08-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Have to pass this along to my friend in Essex but he may already know about it.

Speaking of dredging, they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.
flyrod and mbianka like this.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-09-2018
bell ringer

good info as I start my way North

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #10 of 38 Old 03-09-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
... they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.
I was in Lake Tashmoo last October. There is absolutely no room to anchor anywhere in Tashmoo anymore. We borrowed a mooring with the help of a local. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in