natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Looking for Companionship... This forum is specifically designed for sailors who are looking for someone to spend their lives with - those who also have a passion for the sea.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter

Re: natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
LOL...you have no idea who you're talking about. Jeff has extensive time at sea.

sorry i meant to say .. i havent.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It would be interesting to learn how a vegan can do a 20 to 30 day crossing on fresh produce, without a walk in fridge. I've not been able to keep much beyond cabbage for any length of time. We even have trouble managing fresh fruit and veges on a 7 day charter in the Grenadines, if the venders on the small islands can't supply them, which is often the case. We did one charter recently where we couldn't buy limes anywhere in Grenada all the way to St. Lucia. A gin and tonic just ain't a gin and tonic w/o fresh limes! It's a dastardly plot, I just know it is.
well things like cashews and almonds have lots of protein and store fine. dont most boatshave solar panels and fridges tho?
post #13 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Not necessarily. Beth and Evans Starzinger circumnavigated without powered refrigeration, or climate control.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Livi...rigeration.pdf
VeganSailing likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #14 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganSailing View Post
well things like cashews and almonds have lots of protein and store fine. dont most boatshave solar panels and fridges tho?
Nuts are hardly 'fresh produce' and probably not a very well rounded diet for someone expending the kind of energy long ocean crossings require.
Most boat fridges can hardly hold a week's worth of produce, hence the 'walk in' fridge comment. Keep in mind that refrigeration is the most perishable system aboard a cruising boat, especially at sea, and therefore should not be used as one's only source of food conservation.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 05-06-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #15 of 52 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Nuts are hardly 'fresh produce' and probably not a very well rounded diet for someone expending the kind of energy long ocean crossings require.
Most boat fridges can hardly hold a week's worth of produce, hence the 'walk in' fridge comment. Keep in mind that refrigeration is the most perishable system aboard a cruising boat, especially at sea, and therefore should not be used as one's only source of food conservation.
i know nuts arent produce lol , my point is there is food u can use that doesnt need refrigeration. coconut oil as well, some fruit can last a week. how is a solar powered fridge perishable? not sure i follow.
post #16 of 52 Old 05-06-2016

Perishable is the sense that if a system is going to break on a passage it will be the fridge. They seem to be the most problematic system on board a boat (power or sail)
capta and Taylon Starr like this.
post #17 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Anne Hill's book had two very useful appendixes which dealt with storing food. They were essentially pescatarian during longer passages. They mostly depended on a mix of dried vegitables and fruits supplemented by fresh veg's bought in port for as long as they lasted. I have known a number of folks who did similar things including one couple who did their own canning and solar drying of vegetables when they could get produce in various ports, and would use these to supplement their dried foods underway.

To be clear, even though I have been a vegetarian for most of my life, I don't necessary advocate being a vegetarian unless someone chooses to be on on their own. In that case, that person gets to define what works for them, even if it might not work for everyone or anyone else.

I always figured that I would not use refrigeration on longer passages. Now that wind generators, solar collectors, energy management systems, and refrigeration have gotten more efficient, I might consider changing that position.

Jeff
capta, paikea, sailforlife and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-06-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #18 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
Perishable is the sense that if a system is going to break on a passage it will be the fridge. They seem to be the most problematic system on board a boat (power or sail)
Perishable and often irreparable at sea.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #19 of 52 Old 05-06-2016

It is possible to have a reasonable well balanced diet on a variety of dried vegetable, dried fruit, dried mushrooms, dried seaweed, vegetable oils, nuts, grains, pulses, and root vegetable which store quite well in dry peat moss.

A weeds and seeds diet with a good collection of herbs and spices can be a joy, but I also like fresh fish, milk, cheeses and eggs.
post #20 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Deep Blue Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Anne Hill's book had two very useful appendixes which dealt with storing food. They were essentially pescatarian during longer passages. They mostly depended on a mix of dried vegitables and fruits supplemented by fresh veg's bought in port for as long as they lasted. I have known a number of folks who did similar things including one couple who did their own canning and solar drying of vegetables when they could get produce in various ports, and would use these to supplement their dried foods underway.

To be clear, even though I have been a vegetarian for most of my life, I don't necessary advocate being a vegetarian unless someone chooses to be on on their own. In that case, that person gets to define what works for them, even if it might not work for everyone or anyone else.

I always figured that I would not use refrigeration on longer passages. Now that wind generators, solar collectors, energy management systems, and refrigeration have gotten more efficient, I might consider changing that position.

Jeff
Interesting what you just wrote. I am vegan although rarely or when not having a choice (ie too much travelling messes up preparation for a healthy and complex vegan meal) I can slip into vegetarianism. I tend to mostly go down the vegan macrobiotic way, but then change every now and then, ie for a while incorporating plenty of complex smoothies and like to experience vegan cooking overall, making cheese from cashew etc. Its not hard, but it requires a different settings then a typical "kitchen".
I just removed the whole old galley on my boat and refitting it entirely to actually fit more my simple vegan lifestyle, but I am a little anxious wondering if I can pull off full veganism on a liveaboard on longer routes. I dont want an oven and dont want a fridge either.

Do you find it challenging, or certain areas that you find challenging? If you have done it for such a long time you must have quite a good experience with it.
Taylon Starr likes this.

Deep Blue Crush

Tags
natural , organic , vegan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in