natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Looking for Companionship... This forum is specifically designed for sailors who are looking for someone to spend their lives with - those who also have a passion for the sea.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 Old 05-06-2016
Master Mariner

Re: natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I'm going to hazard a guess that you already know all the tricks about storing certain veg away from certain other fruit or veg or with certain other fruit or veg in order to extend the shelf life, correct?
I've tried most with some success, though 10 days seems to be the outer limit on most produce and fresh fruit in the tropics. We tried taking several varieties of avocado from Hawaii to Tahiti for friends to grow there, but they just couldn't handle the 31 days at sea.
Ajax_MD likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 Old 05-06-2016

Been a vegetarian since I was 17. I lived at times mostly on rice and beans, with garden weeds and greens as a salad on the side. If you can cook on a passage, a small pressure cooker filled with pre-soaked rice and beans will keep you fed and happy at minimum cost. There is so much variety of vegetarian products out there that will store on a boat for at least a year. Easy-peasy.
paikea likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #23 of 52 Old 05-07-2016
Deep Blue Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've tried most with some success, though 10 days seems to be the outer limit on most produce and fresh fruit in the tropics. We tried taking several varieties of avocado from Hawaii to Tahiti for friends to grow there, but they just couldn't handle the 31 days at sea.
Have never tried this on the boat and maybe it wouldnt work (I will try it though), one way to store veggies (at least on land) for months is burying them in a box with sand. I wonder if that would work on a boat. If the sand gets moist, that will not work.
Taylon Starr likes this.

Deep Blue Crush

post #24 of 52 Old 05-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
Have never tried this on the boat and maybe it wouldnt work (I will try it though), one way to store veggies (at least on land) for months is burying them in a box with sand. I wonder if that would work on a boat. If the sand gets moist, that will not work.
Make sure to leave the cat at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #25 of 52 Old 05-07-2016

Dehydrated, vacuum packed, fresh fruit and veg are a great idea, even for an omnivore. I do like the organic trend, where it actually matters anyway. Some things do, some things don't. I think I'll call myself and omnivoranic, with slight processed tendencies. You know they make organic cheese doodles.

As an aside, I have a friend who is vegetarian and has, hands down, one of the worst diets I can imagine. Loaded with processed foods, imitation meat substitutes, sodium, sugars, etc. Obviously, not required to be vegetarian, but rather common.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-07-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #26 of 52 Old 05-07-2016

Vegan, vegetarian, piscatarian...... it can all taste amazing, skills at cooking are what matters;

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/tr...ants.html?_r=0
castingoff likes this.
post #27 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

I'm late to the party!

OP if you are still out there, keep looking! Veganism, as you know, is growing like mad.

I'm vegan and hoping to meet a vegan sailing mate of my own. I'd be glad to teach you sailing in exchange for your work in the galley!

Fair winds.....
Taylon Starr and SailorMaggie like this.
post #28 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

Walking through my neighborhood supermarket, I saw a sign "vegan bouillon". This is a neighborhood supermarket , not a Whole Foods, that sells lots of unhealthy products loaded with ingredients such as corn syrup, salt, animal fats and many additives I don't know how to pronounce, so I was skeptical.

Looked at the ingredients list, nothing weird, maybe a bit high on sodium, USDA Organic, certified vegan by vegan.org whoever they are. OK I will give it a try.

I made lentil soup with carrots, onions, celery, brown lentils and a stock made with the bouillion. I was tempted to add some herbs and spices, but this was a test of the bouillon so nothing added, even salt and pepper.

This was an excellent lentil soup, maybe to much sodium, so next time same ingredients but half the bouillon than directions on the container. It was still a rich flavorful stock but closer to my preference for sodium.

"Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base" from superiortouch.com
castingoff and SailorMaggie like this.
post #29 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Walking through my neighborhood supermarket, I saw a sign "vegan bouillon". This is a neighborhood supermarket , not a Whole Foods, that sells lots of unhealthy products loaded with ingredients such as corn syrup, salt, animal fats and many additives I don't know how to pronounce, so I was skeptical.

Looked at the ingredients list, nothing weird, maybe a bit high on sodium, USDA Organic, certified vegan by vegan.org whoever they are. OK I will give it a try.

I made lentil soup with carrots, onions, celery, brown lentils and a stock made with the bouillion. I was tempted to add some herbs and spices, but this was a test of the bouillon so nothing added, even salt and pepper.

This was an excellent lentil soup, maybe to much sodium, so next time same ingredients but half the bouillon than directions on the container. It was still a rich flavorful stock but closer to my preference for sodium.

"Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base" from superiortouch.com
Costco has been selling itfor a long time.
post #30 of 52 Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by castingoff View Post
I'm late to the party!

OP if you are still out there, keep looking! Veganism, as you know, is growing like mad.

I'm vegan and hoping to meet a vegan sailing mate of my own. I'd be glad to teach you sailing in exchange for your work in the galley!

Fair winds.....
Hey nice to hear from you. I would love to talk more. Do you have a personal email? are you female ?
castingoff and SailorMaggie like this.

Tags
natural , organic , vegan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in