natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Looking for Companionship... Sailors looking for someone to share their lives

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter

Re: natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Costco has been selling itfor a long time.
It's always better to make your own, because things like citric acid or other acids are usually added to the store bought stuff, even organic things. Unless you check the ingredients. there is nothing citrus about citric acid in the food industry as it's made from corn syrup, black mold and hydrochloric acid or some other acid. Nasty stuff and it's false advertising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganSailing View Post
It's always better to make your own, because things like citric acid or other acids are usually added to the store bought stuff, even organic things. Unless you check the ingredients. there is nothing citrus about citric acid in the food industry as it's made from corn syrup, black mold and hydrochloric acid or some other acid. Nasty stuff and it's false advertising.

How, exactly, do you conclude from the fact that Costco sells this product that it contains citric acid, that hydrochloric acid must have been used in its production, and that black mold was surely involved? And that it is therefore Nasty Stuff, with false advertising to boot?

May I recommend that you study the ingredient list before spouting, ehm, ill-informed comments?
post #33 of 52 Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
How, exactly, do you conclude from the fact that Costco sells this product that it contains citric acid, that hydrochloric acid must have been used in its production, and that black mold was surely involved? And that it is therefore Nasty Stuff, with false advertising to boot?

May I recommend that you study the ingredient list before spouting, ehm, ill-informed comments?
What i said is that most stuff does. In case anyone reading this cared. Not saying that one does. But ya, my mom has an organic vegan bouillon like you described from costco, and i'm pretty sure it has citric acid in it when i looked.

post #34 of 52 Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter

Here is an article about "Citric Acid" and all those other synthetic additives:

A Sour Deception: Citric Acid Comes From GMO Black Mold, Not Fruit | Truthstream Media
post #35 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganSailing View Post
What i said is that most stuff does. In case anyone reading this cared. Not saying that one does. But ya, my mom has an organic vegan bouillon like you described from costco, and i'm pretty sure it has citric acid in it when i looked.
The product we are talking about does not. Don't draw conclusions without having data to back them up.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-16-2017

This is the stuff I buy at Costco: Organic Vegetable Broth - Pacific Foods List of ingredients included, no citric acid.
Citric acid is indeed produced mostly by fermentation process using GMO bacteria (not black mold as some folks say) which has been engineered to convert sugars (both simple and complex) to citric acid.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #37 of 52 Old 01-17-2017 Thread Starter

kriss if you read that link i posted, u should see it uses both gmo corn and black mold as well as other harsh nasty chemicals. Traces of mercury is even found in some things. Sodium benzoate is poison as well and mixed with citric acid can form Benzene! Almost all synthetic chemicals in food or for other things are bad. This is why we should try to eat just pure, whole, local or home grown veganic food or good things packaged with none of those chemicals.

If that Bouillon doesn't have the citric acid then that's good
post #38 of 52 Old 01-17-2017

I'm a chemist by profession so I do not take everything posted on the internet at face value
I have been a vegetarian since I was 17 and scrutinized more food labels than there are leaves on big oak trees in my yard.
And I have been growing food since I was a little kid.

Plato

Last edited by krisscross; 01-17-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #39 of 52 Old 01-17-2017

[QUOTE=krisscross;3791226]I'm a chemist by profession so I do not take everything posted on the internet at face value /QUOTE]

Good for you. Others would benefit from being equally discriminating in their media consumption.

Case in point, about the source for this black mold horror story, have a look at what TruthStreamMedia - RationalWiki says about it:

"TruthStreamMedia is a "news" website run by Aaron and Melissa Dykes. It promotes both conspiracy theories and pseudoscience, such as "bioengineering" vaccines[1] and "eugenicist" water.[2] They also seem to think that mind control is real[3], and other general bullsh*t."

'nuff said.

(we are getting pretty far away from sailing here but I could not let this uninformed bs stand)
Ulladh and Deina like this.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 01-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.
post #40 of 52 Old 01-17-2017

[quote=MastUndSchotbruch;3791354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Case in point, about the source for this black mold horror story...
There is some truth to it, as certain strains (lab selected) of black mold fungi (Aspergillus niger) are indeed used to make it. That is one of the old ways of making citric acid (patented in US in 1917). In the last 30 years there has been a gradual switch to more efficient methods using selected or engineered yeast and bacteria strains. But one way or another citric acid coming out of the production line is highly purified and biologically sterile. Is it harmful? I don't think so. Is it 'natural'? We would have to define what is natural. If we can produce 'organic' and 'natural' alcohols also by fermentation, this definition can be stretched to include citric acid made by fermentation using Aspergillus strains and lets say organic molasses, but not GMO corn syrup.

How is that connected to sailing? As a vegetarian who is often sailing or camping with other vegetarians or vegans, I can tell you that provisioning on such trips can be somewhat more challenging. I usually advise folks to bring their own grub.

Plato

Tags
natural , organic , vegan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in