SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Looking for Companionship... (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/looking-companionship/)
-   -   Pirate Girl Seeks Match in Vermont (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/looking-companionship/255130-pirate-girl-seeks-match-vermont.html)

Minnewaska 06-22-2016 06:29 AM

Re: Pirate Girl Seeks Match in Vermont

I think we haven't heard back from the OP, since her first post two weeks ago, because some smart guy married her already. Probably younger than most of us, who needed a nap and a pee before getting out of the house, then forgot why we did so and had to go back and read the post again.

titustiger27 06-22-2016 06:58 AM

I fee responsible for this... Original Poster had put up an ad on Craigslist and I suggested she try the companion forum here..

A week ago when I saw she had made the opening post, I sent a personal message (and one to the Craigslist address) suggesting she follow up... but I see she has yet to come back.

Those who are in a relationship probably don't understand the complexity of dating past bar day hook up age.

The older you get, the more you live in a rural area.. just about ever factor in your life makes it more difficult.

For example: say you want to live on a sailboat, that might cut out 90% of the people you can be in a relationship with (and it is a small group past the age of 40 already), Just the fact removes you from family and friends would eliminate lots of people even considering it.

Add to this, you have to be vigilant. If you are on a dating site... you are probably on the wrong one, if you go to social functions... how do you make it clear that 'I'm hear to walk dogs, but I really want a date too!'

Knowing what I know now, I might have considered a bad marriage in my 20's :eek

JimsCAL 06-22-2016 08:14 AM

I know five couples who met sailing. Four at our yacht club and and another via a singles sailing club.

newt 06-22-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titustiger27 (Post 3549314)
:devil

are you thinking the woman is great, but

the boat is too much work?
:laugh

It is almost always the other way around.

TomMaine 06-22-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 3549442)
I know five couples who met sailing. Four at our yacht club and and another via a singles sailing club.

My first date with my wife was taking her sailing, for her first time. In fact to go with this thread, we sailed up to Shelburne Farms on Lake Champlain, and listened to the Vermont Symphony Orchestra, at anchor.

We've been happily married - and sailing - ever since. Don't underestimate the power of sail. :)

deniseO30 06-22-2016 12:35 PM

They way the singles seeking companionship are treated here is just; atrocious! If you aren't single it's just wrong to make a joke out of any post were someone is seeking a friend/possibly more. Why do the MODs allow all the snarky, off color, sexually suggestive, "ok I'm married but" remarks? I'd never date a sailor!

guitarguy56 06-22-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 3549970)
They way the singles seeking companionship are treated here is just; atrocious! If you aren't single it's just wrong to make a joke out of any post were someone is seeking a friend/possibly more. Why do the MODs allow all the snarky, off color, sexually suggestive, "ok I'm married but" remarks? I'd never date a sailor!

Agree... 150% and more... I'd think there are too many single people out there sailing and if the interest is there you'll find them... definitely are not going to find any of them here on these forums, old salts, married salts, old non sailing farts... you get my drift. ;)

I got together with my current wife of 32 years coming up in August of this year because I liked horses... met my wife at Palm Beach Polo and Country Club at the polo grounds in West Palm Beach as she was holding a polo players pony... I approached her (I was 28 and she was 21) and we talked, socialized, engaged 9 months later, we married in '84... I was in the Navy at the time but surely didn't ever want to marry a Navy woman... EVER!

Same here... there are so many other interesting people doing so many other unique endeavors, perhaps you may find someone you might just get him interested in sailing and the like... Got nothing to lose.

Minnewaska 06-23-2016 07:05 AM

I think a sense of humor is a significant attraction to most, but not all, in both genders. Some of these "looking for companionship" posts are just kooky enough that they elicit rough responses, but I didn't think this one was not all that bad. Just some lighthearted fun. I only notice one innuendo above, which is well below average (unless a bunch were deleted) and even that one I think was intended as a compliment, even a potential warning. Also, keep in mind that those looking for companionship can as often be predators, although, I doubt that is the case with this one. I've seen too many young ladies agree to go aboard a sailboat, destine for adventure, with someone they met yesterday. Warning Will Robinson.

Let's face it. Looking for companionship on the internet is a new era and it simply doesn't follow the same rule book we all had as a kid.

It sounds like the OP has a very attractive proposition. One which included a description of physical characteristics, I might add. She's doing the right thing, by looking for someone who shares interests. That's very important, for a life partner, in my experience. My suggestion, if nothing works out soon, is to move and reengage in a new sailing community elsewhere.

As a pitch, I think Narragansett Bay is one huge middle aged sailing hook up community. :) Vermont is pretty limited, not proportionately many sailors in the first place, certainly fewer looking to sail the oceans. Around here you can join museums as a volunteer, teach sailing, volunteer at restoration schools or safety seminars, race or just help with organizing committees, its' literally endless. You'll meet more people interested in sailing that you can possibly remember names.

JimsCAL 06-23-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3551162)
Vermont is pretty limited, not proportionately many sailors in the first place, certainly fewer looking to sail the oceans.

However in the winter it's a different story for single women. Far more men than women at the ski areas.

MarkofSeaLife 06-23-2016 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 3549970)

I totally agree with you.

I have tried most strongly to get mods of a certain other forum to understand this. They gave an official response that single people are fair game to be slagged off at.
Despicable.