Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 124 Old 02-26-2019

Re: Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's

My first sailboat was a Mac 25 with the cast iron swing keel. If I knew better I would not have chosen the boat, but we took it all over Narragansett Bay and out to the coastal islands. The boat was very forgiving and saved us from our own ignorance and inexperience many times. The boat sold me on trailer sailing, which I continued to do with boats as large as 26 foot.
I really liked the water-ballasted M26C and looked at a few when I was looking to upgrade. I was an early member of the MacGregor Owners of New England, which still exists in combination with Trailer-Sailors of New England.
However, the 19 and 26 Powersailers were a turn-off for me. A word of caution about the water ballast - they can be unstable when used incorrectly unballasted. There was a horror story about one that capsized in calm water after having a group of people on its topsides to view fireworks.
To understand those "Stormtrooper styling, you only have to look at an early MacGregor design, the MacGregor 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 02-26-2019

There have been a very few incidents of water ballasted boats capsizing when unballasted or worse still, partially ballasted with part filled tanks. In these cases the boats have been overloaded with people well beyond their legal carrying capacity and generally alcohol has been involved as well. I have known over 15 non water ballast trailable yachts capsize and sink during racing due to a variety of factors from just wind blown knockdown to nose going under whilst flying a spinnaker in windy and high wave conditions. These yachts went to the bottom due to their fixed ballast overcoming their limited buoyancy.
There were no fatalities as everyone was sober and alert not drunk and disorderly.
With the exception of heavily ballasted deep keel yachts most lighter trailable boats can be capsized by overloading and bad seamanship. Partially filled water ballast tanks do have the potential to exasipate this problem.
post #123 of 124 Old 01-12-2020

"There was a horror story about one that capsized in calm water after having a group of people on its topsides to view fireworks. "

Are you referring to incident where the inexperienced/uneducated and intoxicated captain borrowed the boat, failed to fill the ballast, and had twice the amount of passengers on board he should have? That's hardly the fault of the vessel. You simply can't fix or prevent stupid.

“If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it.” – Toni Morrison

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 124 Old 01-13-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Serious thread dredge.
The Mac 26x/m are exactly as you would expect from a "jack of all trades"
Said differently, a "Swiss army knife of boats"

Horses for courses.

Its likely a good fit for you on the lake.
Probably not a great fit for the Carrib (both because of its size - ie number of people aboard, and well, because of its size relative to the waters at hand).

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in