6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 01-14-2019 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=SeaStar58;2051576680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimesailor View Post
You can pull either a 22 or a 26 with a 3000 lb hitch. If the 26 is a water ballast (mine was), then it won't always be heavier than the 22 with it's 500 lb. swing keel. I would advise you to take a critical look at the axle. When I bought a used 22, the axle failed while I was towing - most inconvenient.
I come from a construction background, meaning that I have access to tools, parts, and supplies much cheaper than the average person. A new axle that would cost you $400 to me is only $300 or less. I also have a spare axle laying about somewhere that may work, if not I can cut it down and weld in some supports. Came off a tandem axle trailer that I fixed up. I had to replace one that got bent. Owner asked me to replace both. I just kept the old good one. I'm not too worried about whether or not the axle will go. I've only had one trailer so far that I haven't had to replace an axle on and that's only because I only use it in parades. As far as I'm concerned, if it gets me home then I can deal with it there. Besides I have wired a 2x4 to a broken axle just to get it home. Got it hung on a rock and broke it. Drove into town, bought a 2x4, wired it up tight got home. Next day I welded up the axle with an oil pipe sleeve and it's still in use today.

We don't have a Northern Tool outlet around here. We have Graingers, TSC, Lowes, Home Despot, Ace, Harbor Freight and many others. There's also a trailer manufacturer no more than 2 miles away from where I live and a good metal shop nearby. I'm friends with most and on good terms with the rest. Helps to have dropped a few hundred thousand dollars at their doorsteps over the years. They let me get away with just about anything now. I should also mention, I'm a BIG fan of trailer brakes. I installed some on my 20' ski boat and even my Colorado can stop it with relative ease. Hills suck, and I won't attempt a steep boat ramp with it, but on flat land it does just fine.
I'm really wishing I had gone down yesterday and gotten that boat. I tried and tried to fix my F350 but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I'll fix it eventually though. Oh well, Friday is payday so it won't hurt so bad to buy another boat.
Too bad about not having a local Northern Tool since those $400 galvanized axles at the trailer shops are $54.99 to $139.99 and the quality is not that shabby either with stainless steel sleeves for the seals to ride on.
I used $400 as an example, I don't know what they cost off hand. But you're right. I would love to have a Northern Tool here. Bought from them online and loved it.
Saw the weather forecast today. For Saturday when I'm planning on going after this boat. High of 37* but clear. Possibly really windy too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 01-14-2019

Re: Macgregor 22 trailer help please

[quote=Locke;2051576694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
I used $400 as an example, I don't know what they cost off hand. But you're right. I would love to have a Northern Tool here. Bought from them online and loved it.
Saw the weather forecast today. For Saturday when I'm planning on going after this boat. High of 37* but clear. Possibly really windy too.
Northern is a tad bit more classy than Harbor Freight and they do have a bigger selection in the trailer department. I recently went through the exercise of pricing out axles and the $400 is low to mid price at a trailer shop for a 2,000 lb axle where I live and since most no longer stock them they are made to order and there can be very long wait times.

In the area around Tampa Bay Florida we have multiple Graingers, Harbor Freights, Notherns, etc plus we are the home of Hake, Seaward, Island Packet, ComPac, Catalina, etc plus boat designers such as Clark Mills, Charles Morgan, John Mckay and more so we have a lot of history along with options. Not as good as where I lived North of Boston (I would launch my 1958 HiLiner SeaStar out of Glouster) but not too bad for the South.

It's been breezy and swinging from the high 40's to mid 70's here so a mixed bag but still prime sailing weather. The Nacra race teams have been practicing here for a few weeks now and its been really nice to see sailboats that are faster than many power boats. We have had to caution a number with the foils about the sandbars though as they are masked by sea grass and some keep losing track of where they are. The sudden stop is a reminder that you won't soon forget at those speeds.

Hope you get your Super Duty back in working order and that its something simple. My 10 ton with the V10 scares me with cost anxiety whenever it gives me trouble. The last time it gave me trouble is was bucking and backfiring every time I got it over 5 mph. Even though it would start it turned out the battery would short out when you got over 5 mph as the alternator went into high charge so I got out of that one for the price of a battery however it took a while to figure out that it was just the battery. Having to replace a number of the 10 coils on the plugs at almost $100 each for OEM or the ECM can get a bit pricey.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 01-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #23 of 24 Old 01-14-2019

Re: Macgregor 22 trailer help please

A good thing to keep in mind is most Walmarts have trailer tires and bearings and they are all over the place and good hours.

post #24 of 24 Old 01-14-2019 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=SeaStar58;2051576696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Northern is a tad bit more classy than Harbor Freight and they do have a bigger selection in the trailer department. I recently went through the exercise of pricing out axles and the $400 is low to mid price at a trailer shop for a 2,000 lb axle where I live and since most no longer stock them they are made to order and there can be very long wait times.

In the area around Tampa Bay Florida we have multiple Graingers, Harbor Freights, Notherns, etc plus we are the home of Hake, Seaward, Island Packet, ComPac, Catalina, etc plus boat designers such as Clark Mills, Charles Morgan, John Mckay and more so we have a lot of history along with options. Not as good as where I lived North of Boston (I would launch my 1958 HiLiner SeaStar out of Glouster) but not too bad for the South.

It's been breezy and swinging from the high 40's to mid 70's here so a mixed bag but still prime sailing weather. The Nacra race teams have been practicing here for a few weeks now and its been really nice to see sailboats that are faster than many power boats. We have had to caution a number with the foils about the sandbars though as they are masked by sea grass and some keep losing track of where they are. The sudden stop is a reminder that you won't soon forget at those speeds.

Hope you get your Super Duty back in working order and that its something simple. My 10 ton with the V10 scares me with cost anxiety whenever it gives me trouble. The last time it gave me trouble is was bucking and backfiring every time I got it over 5 mph. Even though it would start it turned out the battery would short out when you got over 5 mph as the alternator went into high charge so I got out of that one for the price of a battery however it took a while to figure out that it was just the battery. Having to replace a number of the 10 coils on the plugs at almost $100 each for OEM or the ECM can get a bit pricey.
I've seen those Nacra racers. They're wickedly fast. I couldn't imagine hitting a sandbar in one of those. Ouch.
Luckily my f350 is a V8 and older a 95 model. It's much simpler to work on. I'll have it fixed soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
A good thing to keep in mind is most Walmarts have trailer tires and bearings and they are all over the place and good hours.
Yup! Batteries, filters oil and many other helpful things. That's about the only thing I like about Wal-Mart.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in