Making it easier to solo sail. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 Old 02-19-2019

Re: Making it easier to solo sail.

For the main halyard I like a proper cleat. The main has a small winch too. Maybe not needed on a 22' boat.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 Old 02-19-2019

Dock

I balked at the price of clutches for a while then finally installed one and instantly regretted my procrastination. Well worth the $$ new in the box, and has been mentioned, you can find them second hand for much less.

Managing lines in the cockpit: https://www.amazon.com/Barton-Marine.../dp/B00A6XEGD8, and it's pretty easy to fabricate something similar for much less.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned cupholders yet! A vital piece of equipment! When single handing you can't just hand your beer to a passenger when, say, a sudden gust requires immediate action. A suitable cupholder is a must. My boat, a 1976, apparently pre-dates this technology so I picked up a few of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, they fit into the socket on any winch and accomodate a large thermos cup or yeti coozie. Greatly enhancing the single handed sailing experience.
post #13 of 47 Old 02-19-2019

What are the cleats you currently have for your halyards, the factory cleats? Horn cleats on the mast?

I would ask your self what you hope to acheive by adding additional moving parts and how they will improve the sailability of the boat, and what you may lose by increaseing the complexity of the boat. Horn cleats are popular for halyards on small boats because they are simple, cheap, maintenance free and effective.

Same issues with tiller pilot. There are circumstances where they are nice to have, but try to make an evaluation of whether the added complexity will be worth it to you. The price, the installation and the power consumption. How are you going to charge the batteries to run the autopilot? Are you going to add a solar system with enough charging capacity to handle the draw of an auto pilot? Are you going to make overnight passages, or long open water passages where the tiller pilot will demonstrate its greatest advantages? I use an 1/8th nylon line run across the cockpit and looped around the end of my tiller to hold the tiller for me when I am busy.

post #14 of 47 Old 02-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
On a bigger boat I prefer line locks (and strongly prefer Spinlocks over Lewmars), but they are a real pain in the butt on a trailerable boat since the line has to be run through the locks every time you raise and lower the mast.
This must vary by boat; I leave my halyards and topping lift in their clutches when I raise and lower my mast. I took them out this season for cleaning, but other than that they stay in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
With a tiller it is pretty easy to stick the tiller between your legs and steer by leaning from side to side while you have both hands free to do what ever you need to, or to steer with a foot on the tiller when you are sitting down.
I second the steering-with-your-knees. Very handy!

I use the steering-with-your-foot technique when coming up to the dock. I stand on the edge of the cockpit with one foot steering the tiller. One hand on the boom for stability and the other hand holding the dock lines. When I get to the dock I gracefully step off the boat.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #15 of 47 Old 02-19-2019
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I use the steering-with-your-foot technique when coming up to the dock. I stand on the edge of the cockpit with one foot steering the tiller. One hand on the boom for stability and the other hand holding the dock lines. When I get to the dock I gracefully step off the boat.
post #16 of 47 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
For the main halyard I like a proper cleat. The main has a small winch too. Maybe not needed on a 22' boat.
Don't need a winch for the main. It's small enough that I can raise that in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
I balked at the price of clutches for a while then finally installed one and instantly regretted my procrastination. Well worth the $$ new in the box, and has been mentioned, you can find them second hand for much less.

Managing lines in the cockpit: https://www.amazon.com/Barton-Marine.../dp/B00A6XEGD8, and it's pretty easy to fabricate something similar for much less.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned cupholders yet! A vital piece of equipment! When single handing you can't just hand your beer to a passenger when, say, a sudden gust requires immediate action. A suitable cupholder is a must. My boat, a 1976, apparently pre-dates this technology so I picked up a few of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, they fit into the socket on any winch and accomodate a large thermos cup or yeti coozie. Greatly enhancing the single handed sailing experience.
Cup holders are going to be a god send on this boat. Local shop has some that'll mount to the rails and hold my drinks that way. That's probably what I'll do there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
What are the cleats you currently have for your halyards, the factory cleats? Horn cleats on the mast?

I would ask your self what you hope to acheive by adding additional moving parts and how they will improve the sailability of the boat, and what you may lose by increaseing the complexity of the boat. Horn cleats are popular for halyards on small boats because they are simple, cheap, maintenance free and effective.

Same issues with tiller pilot. There are circumstances where they are nice to have, but try to make an evaluation of whether the added complexity will be worth it to you. The price, the installation and the power consumption. How are you going to charge the batteries to run the autopilot? Are you going to add a solar system with enough charging capacity to handle the draw of an auto pilot? Are you going to make overnight passages, or long open water passages where the tiller pilot will demonstrate its greatest advantages? I use an 1/8th nylon line run across the cockpit and looped around the end of my tiller to hold the tiller for me when I am busy.
What I have right now are the factory cleats. In order for me to raise and lower the sails currently I have to get out on the deck and raise them from the mast and tie them off there. Not really a problem but I have a busted ankle and so I don't move fast and getting down off the deck takes me a second. For me it's more of a safety issue. The less I have to go forward the better. Yes it'll add more moving parts but it eliminates most of my need to forward and therefore less risk of me stepping off the deck wrong. I can't sprain my ankle, it breaks. If it breaks, then it gets amputated. It'll be awfully hard sailing, or doing much of anything, until I can get a prosthetic. Then again if I can get it amputated then I can make me a peg leg.....hmmm...... that does change things....
post #17 of 47 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

What I have right now are the factory cleats. In order for me to raise and lower the sails currently I have to get out on the deck and raise them from the mast and tie them off there. Not really a problem but I have a busted ankle and so I don't move fast and getting down off the deck takes me a second. For me it's more of a safety issue. The less I have to go forward the better. Yes it'll add more moving parts but it eliminates most of my need to forward and therefore less risk of me stepping off the deck wrong. I can't sprain my ankle, it breaks. If it breaks, then it gets amputated. It'll be awfully hard sailing, or doing much of anything, until I can get a prosthetic. Then again if I can get it amputated then I can make me a peg leg.....hmmm...... that does change things....
I agree, running halyards and reefing lines back to the cockpit is nice for single handing is nice. Anything that keeps you in the cockpit and off the foredeck of a small light boat is a good thing.

I was referring to your choice of cleats. Rope clutches are nice for quick adjustments, particularly for racers or on larger boats. If you intend to trailer the boat though, you mart want to completely derig the boat for highway travel. During highway travel boats and everything on them gets filthy, full of grit, sand and road salt, things vibrate and fall apart. I had the goose neck neck fitting vibrate right out of a boom earlier this year. I would expect a rope clutch on the cabin top might be a collection point for highway grit.

Then when you get to the boat ramp, you are going to need to feed your halyards bitter end through your dirty rope clutch.

These are not deal breaker considerations, I am sure lots of racers consider the trade off of extra pain at the boat ramp and extra maintenance woth while. I personally wouldnt like the trade off though.

I am do to replace my halyard cleats this year because lines running over them have chaffed them down to about half their original thicknes, but at $1.99 a pop, I plan on replacing them with the same nylon cleats that are on there. I could go stainless I guess.

If you plan on keeping your boat in the water, none of this might matter. My point is though, adding complexity to a small simple boat doesnt always make it better.
post #18 of 47 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
During highway travel boats and everything on them gets filthy, full of grit, sand and road salt, things vibrate and fall apart. I had the goose neck neck fitting vibrate right out of a boom earlier this year. I would expect a rope clutch on the cabin top might be a collection point for highway grit.
I donít trailer long distances, only about 400 miles per season, but Iíve never had any problem with highway grit collecting in my clutches. My boat sits kind of high on the trailer so the clutches are about 8í above the road, that might make a difference.

Quote:
Then when you get to the boat ramp, you are going to need to feed your halyards bitter end through your dirty rope clutch.
Jeff also said this, but itís not true for my boat. I leave both halyards and the topping lift rigged through the clutch while trailering. No problems with dirt or anything else.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #19 of 47 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

Jeff also said this, but itís not true for my boat. I leave both halyards and the topping lift rigged through the clutch while trailering. No problems with dirt or anything else.
For some reason I cant picture how this works. Do you derig the halyards from the mast? Or do you leave the mast attached to the boat via the halyards while you are trailering?
post #20 of 47 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
For some reason I cant picture how this works. Do you derig the halyards from the mast? Or do you leave the mast attached to the boat via the halyards while you are trailering?
The mast sits on the boat in a pretty usual way: the base on a bracket on the bow pulpit, the head on a crutch that fits into the rudder gudgeons.

I leave the halyards rigged through the mast, the deck organizer, and the clutches. I secure the halyards to the mast with some stretch wrap, pull them taught through the clutches, and toss the extra line into the cabin.

Iím not really sure that I need to do the stretch wrap thing, just pulling them taught would probably be enough. But Iím already up there securing the stays and shrouds with the stretch wrap, so I wrap the halyards up while Iím at it.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in