Making it easier to solo sail. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Making it easier to solo sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
The mast sits on the boat in a pretty usual way: the base on a bracket on the bow pulpit, the head on a crutch that fits into the rudder gudgeons.

I leave the halyards rigged through the mast, the deck organizer, and the clutches. I secure the halyards to the mast with some stretch wrap, pull them taught through the clutches, and toss the extra line into the cabin.

Iím not really sure that I need to do the stretch wrap thing, just pulling them taught would probably be enough. But Iím already up there securing the stays and shrouds with the stretch wrap, so I wrap the halyards up while Iím at it.
That's about what I was planning on doing. Simple, easy and I don't have to keep running lines every time.

If cam cleats are going to be enough then I'll go ahead and order a few.

While I'm at it and asking questions. Is there supposed to be a line to hold up the boom while the sail is down? I know the larger boats have topping lifts that'll hold up the boom. Mine doesn't even have a block for that. I was thinking of adding one so that I can keep the boom up while anchored or beached. I am planning on several overnighters this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 02-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is there supposed to be a line to hold up the boom while the sail is down? I know the larger boats have topping lifts that'll hold up the boom. Mine doesn't even have a block for that. I was thinking of adding one so that I can keep the boom up while anchored or beached. I am planning on several overnighters this year.
My boat came with a little bridle that connects between the split backstays. The boom rests on it.

For a single backstay you can get a pigtail connected that clips on to the boom:

My boat had two external halyards and they tied off on cleats at the mast, so you had to be at the mast to raise the sails. One of the first things I did was replace the masthead sheaves and add exit blocks so that I could run four lines inside the mast, then out to a deck organizer and back to the clutches at the cockpit.

Two lines exit the top of the mast towards the front of the boat; one is the jib halyard, the other is a spare. Two lines exit the top of the mast towards the back of the boat; I use one for the main halyard and the other for a topping lift.

I prefer the topping lift over the pigtail for several reasons. You donít have to remember to unclip it before you go sailing, the boom doesnít have to be centered to be supported, I fly a flag from it, and itís handy when removing the boom for trailering. Iíve never had to do this, but it could be used as a spare main halyard in case of emergency.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #23 of 47 Old 02-21-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
<<snipped>> I would expect a rope clutch on the cabin top might be a collection point for highway grit.

Then when you get to the boat ramp, you are going to need to feed your halyards bitter end through your dirty rope clutch.

<snipped>>
Trailering has never caused a problem with any of my rope clutches that I knew of, in more than 20 years. I hose the boat off after each long trip of more than 500 miles. I don't bother after short trailer trips. The boat gets dirtier just sitting in the marina, because planes fly over. UGH.

Judy B
Minnesail likes this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

post #24 of 47 Old 02-21-2019

We have a short pendant attached to the back stay because it is very easy to use. However, I also installed a regular mast head line because it really helps when reefing. The mast head topping lift is stored running along the back stay and clips to a shackle near the bottom.
Minnesail likes this.
post #25 of 47 Old 02-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I also installed a regular mast head line because it really helps when reefing.
Oh yeah, I didnít think of this. I installed my reefing setup after the topping lift, so it never even occurred to me how youíd do it without a topping lift. Thatíd be a chore.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #26 of 47 Old 02-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
Trailering has never caused a problem with any of my rope clutches that I knew of, in more than 20 years. I hose the boat off after each long trip of more than 500 miles. I don't bother after short trailer trips. The boat gets dirtier just sitting in the marina, because planes fly over. UGH.
Thats good. Maybe it won't be an issue for the OP.

I find when trailering down to Florida in the winter, that mist of liquified road salt permeates absolutely every thing. Ropes, the lacing on my tramp, blocks. Everything.
post #27 of 47 Old 02-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Thats good. Maybe it won't be an issue for the OP.

I find when trailering down to Florida in the winter, that mist of liquified road salt permeates absolutely every thing. Ropes, the lacing on my tramp, blocks. Everything.
We use plenty of salt here in Minnesota, but I guess by the time I'm trailering my boat any distance we've had at least one good rain to wash it off. I suppose if I were hauling it in the early spring when all that slush is still on the road it would be an issue.

It's funny in Minnesota. I don't have to worry about saltwater corrosion on my boat, but I do on my bicycles.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #28 of 47 Old 02-21-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

In my experience, docking and departing are where most mishaps happen. So I heartily recommend that you take a couple of days to practice docking.

IMO, one of the most valuable tool for single-handed docking and leaving is a spring line. A spring line can control the boat when you leave or approach the dock so that you never need to jump onto a dock, or use muscle power to prevent crashing into the dock or another boat. There are Lots of different ways to use spring lines, depending on whether you're docking in a cross wind, onto a side tie or into a slip, etc.

Google "docking with a spring line" for lots of videos.

I almost always use a spring line or bridle from the midship going aft to a cleat on the dock(when coming into a dock in forward). As you approach the dock, you slow down to an idle or stop within 5 feet- 8 feet of a dock cleat towards the aft end of the berth, and then throw the line over and around the cleat.

I do a variation of that technique when I come into an unfamiliar dock. Instead of using a spring line with a loop, I rig up a bridle going from midships aft to a cockpit winch. I fix one end and loosely wrap the other end around a winch, then back towards helm and my outboard controls. That way I can shorten or lengthen the doubled spring line as I come into the dock, by adjusting the length of the spring line.

Another thing I do differently is that I don't "drop the loop around a cleat", per se. I throw a bunch of line onto the dock, over the cleat, with a tail on each side of the cleat. As the boat moves and the line gets taut, it catches itself around the cleat.

Judy B

ON EDIT: I found a link to a video that shows what shows how to use an adjustable bridle to spring onto a dock.

https://vimeo.com/110882884
Minnesail, Burninern and Locke like this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 02-21-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Found a great video
The Following User Says Thank You to jblumhorst For This Useful Post:
Locke (02-24-2019)
post #29 of 47 Old 02-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post

Judy B
Not sure I understand the comment about planes.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #30 of 47 Old 02-23-2019

When jets fly over or near a marina like San Francisco or San Diego the boats get a film of jet exhaust soot all over the boat.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in