Making it easier to solo sail. - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 02-24-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Making it easier to solo sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
My boat came with a little bridle that connects between the split backstays. The boom rests on it.

For a single backstay you can get a pigtail connected that clips on to the boom:

My boat had two external halyards and they tied off on cleats at the mast, so you had to be at the mast to raise the sails. One of the first things I did was replace the masthead sheaves and add exit blocks so that I could run four lines inside the mast, then out to a deck organizer and back to the clutches at the cockpit.

Two lines exit the top of the mast towards the front of the boat; one is the jib halyard, the other is a spare. Two lines exit the top of the mast towards the back of the boat; I use one for the main halyard and the other for a topping lift.

I prefer the topping lift over the pigtail for several reasons. You donít have to remember to unclip it before you go sailing, the boom doesnít have to be centered to be supported, I fly a flag from it, and itís handy when removing the boom for trailering. Iíve never had to do this, but it could be used as a spare main halyard in case of emergency.
looking at that picture, wouldn't that limit how much the boom can travel? Seems like you wouldn't be able to swing the sail out very far from backstay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 02-24-2019

You unhook it once the sail is raised.
post #33 of 47 Old 02-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post

welp.....i'm an idiot..........

post #34 of 47 Old 02-25-2019

Quote:
Or you forget to unhook it.

You're sailing along just fine close-hauled, then you head down to a beam reach and suddenly things get very exciting.

Not that this has ever happened to me.
CKeenan likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #35 of 47 Old 02-25-2019

Hasn't ever happened to me either.
post #36 of 47 Old 02-25-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Hasn't ever happened to me either.
Nor to me, er....at least it hasn't happened all that many times....or at least not recently.

Rigging a topping lift for a boat the size that we are talking about is cheap and easy. The line does not need to be high tech or very large diameter. When I have done this, I have rigged the line so that it was tied at the masthead fitting with a simple bowline (and tape the tail so it does not get sucked into the sheave by the main halyard. The other end I pass through an eye on the end of the boom. On the last boat I had where I did this, I got a little fancy and had a snap hook on the end of the line. I had tied a bowline with a small loop in the line perhaps a foot or two above the end of the boom in sailing position. When the sail was down and I was hanging about the cockpit, I would hook the snap hook into the look to hold the boom about a foot higher than I needed it when sailing. When I was getting read to raise the sail I would move the hook to the end of eye on the end of the boom, (or in one case, simply wrap the line around the end of the boom and snap the hook to the line. Either works as long as there is enough slack in the topping lift that its not tight when you are sailing.

Small race boats often don't have topping lifts so they hang the boom from the main halyard when the sail has been dropped,

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #37 of 47 Old 02-25-2019

I don't think Jeff's solution is always a good one. On our boat this would result in the topping lift continually chafing against the mainsail. The solution would be unhooking it and clipping the end to a toerail or something...now it's becoming a hassle. That is why I went for the short easy to use pendant and the mast head lift is used only when reefing.
post #38 of 47 Old 02-28-2019

You mean we should not use the Captain Ron docking technique. 🤣😂https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNxLjCBJc
post #39 of 47 Old 02-28-2019

Dock

Any sailor or boater should learn to use spring lines. There are many variations. I like Chapman's explanations and diagrams. If you get the idea of how they work, one can single hand almost any boat in and out of a dock, berth, side tie, alongside another boat(s) etc. Even it you do not have an engine, the spring line will save you butt. On the SF Bay, water is going one way, the tide the other, the wind yet another, and the idiots on the dock trying to hold your boat with their hands after you have thrown them a line.

Practice, practice, practice.
post #40 of 47 Old 03-01-2019
Remember you're a womble

I always found a downhaul for the foresail combined with some lifeline lacing was useful, meant I could get the genoa down and stowed without leaving the cockpit when things got a little snotty out there (assuming you don't have furling which you haven't mentioned).

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in