Making it easier to solo sail. - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 03-03-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Making it easier to solo sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I always found a downhaul for the foresail combined with some lifeline lacing was useful, meant I could get the genoa down and stowed without leaving the cockpit when things got a little snotty out there (assuming you don't have furling which you haven't mentioned).
I don't have furling. By downhaul you mean a line to pull the jib or genoa down instead of a furler, correct? I hadn't thought of that. I probably could rig something like that up super easily until I feel the need to upgrade to a furling genoa. Should be nothing more than a block at the front with a line from the top of the genoa running through the block back to the cockpit, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 03-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I don't have furling. By downhaul you mean a line to pull the jib or genoa down instead of a furler, correct? I hadn't thought of that. I probably could rig something like that up super easily until I feel the need to upgrade to a furling genoa. Should be nothing more than a block at the front with a line from the top of the genoa running through the block back to the cockpit, right?
Exactly, but you may not need one.

I had one rigged for a while, but later removed it. My jib drops nicely without needing a downhaul. I just ease the jib sheet out until there's very little pressure on the sail, then pop the clutch. Usually it drops to the deck, sometimes depending on the wind angle it might end up in the water.

I think the effectiveness of this will vary from boat to boat. Give it a try on yours.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #43 of 47 Old 03-05-2019

Dock

You would need a downhaul to bring the headsail down when heavy wind won't let the sail drop. Most of the time it's just an extra line to manage, but the times you do need it are exactly those times when you don't want to go forward on a pitching deck to wrestle a flogging sail under control.

post #44 of 47 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
You would need a downhaul to bring the headsail down when heavy wind won't let the sail drop. Most of the time it's just an extra line to manage, but the times you do need it are exactly those times when you don't want to go forward on a pitching deck to wrestle a flogging sail under control.
I think that varies from boat to boat. As long as I can head up at least a close reach mine will drop in heavy wind.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #45 of 47 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Main I don't see being that much of a problem unless the slugs stick in the mast. The jib/genoa I could see being a bit of a problem being at an angle and up front where it's hard to get too. The main, on my boat, I can reach from either the cockpit of from within the cabin if I leave the companionway hatch open. I don't have to worry about going forward to drop that. The jib/genoa though I can see as a bigger issues as I'll have to go forward to do pretty much anything with it. I looked into setting up a downhaul on it. I think I'll do that before I take it out on my first sail. For now I'm focusing on what absolutely needs to get done first. I don't have to run any kind of headsail, main I do. I think for starting out I'm going to run just the main until I get a feel for how the boat's going to react. From there I'll add on the small jib and once I'm comfortable soloing that I'll move up the the 150% genoa in light winds. By then I think I'll be good to maybe invest in a spinnaker but that'll most likely be a year or two from now. I'm not in any kind of a hurry for that.
post #46 of 47 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

I don't think I need to worry about a downhaul for the main right now. I can reach that just fine from the cockpit or cabin so long as I leave the hatch open. I will be rigging one for the jib/genoa before I start using that as I must have that or go forward to drop that sail safely. That's not a problem. I think for now I need to focus on what I need to make it sailable for me.
Looks like I won't be able to use a tiller tamer or the like with my boat's tiller. Too narrow. I can use bungies though and that'll work just fine. That or rig up some other contraption.
Here's a question. I'm currently working on a better way to transport the mast. the previous owner just tied it to the rear rail and the pulpit on the front. I made a crutch for the rear that turned out really good. I was wondering what to do about the front. I was thinking of taking the boat in and getting a pair of stainless steel tabs welded onto the pulpit so that I can set the mast between them and use the mast pin to hold it in place. Would that be a good idea or is there something better I can do?
post #47 of 47 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Did a few boat projects today. Mainly I worked on the outboard. Got to start it for the first time. I had a lot of broken parts that needed replacing and I have most of them. I'm still waiting on a couple more to make it complete. However I got it to run, and it purrs like a kitten. I don't think this engine has ran more than a few hours in it's life. Started right up and once it warmed up idled smooth. I'm gonna enjoy that. From there my attention turned to the boat itself.
For starters I set up my mast crutch. I then removed the boom and set that inside for storage and from there I lowered the mast. My homemade crutch works beautifully. I've even got a couple of pictures to share as well. Sorry if they turned sideways. Don't know how to fix that. The crutch is made mostly from scrap that I had laying about. All I really needed was a roller. That makes moving the mast forward and back much easier. I have several coats of paint and clearcoat on it to seal it up. My next project is the windows.
I just happened to have quite a bit of 1/4" clear plexiglass. Scraps from something or other. I don't remember. It's still good and not a sign of crazing. So I'm hoping to be replacing the windows tomorrow if the weather allows. The current ones leak, one's cracked but the other is in good shape. I'm going to use the good one as a guide for how I'll cut the new pair. I may increase the size a bit. Before tackling this I did a fair bit of reading. I read that Dowsil 795 was the go to adhesive to use as it'll stick to both the glass and the fiberglass without either being eaten or eating either surface. Chemical are fun, aren't they?
Anyways, once I get the windows replaced I'm planning on fabricating a mast raising system. Then I'll move on to getting my boat itself ready to come off the trailer. I'm thinking of putting it in a marina for a week or two while I work on the trailer. I'm going to replace the bunks and possibly repaint it. I was also thinking of doing some basic modifications including a step or two on the front and maybe those pole things you use to guide the boat on. Once I get that taken care of then I can focus on what I need to do to make it safe and easier to sail.
Oh, I'm also going to make a pigtail for the boom I think. If anyone has a picture of one or know where I can see one That'd be a big help. Eventually I'd like to set this up with a simple boom tent to give me extra room inside while sail camping.

I really appreciate all the advise y'all have been giving. I'm so glad I found this place. If I ever get a chance to meet y'all I'd like to buy you a beer or the like.
Attached Thumbnails
20190309_161427_HDR.jpg   20190309_161410_HDR.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in