Singing ships???? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-21-2019 Thread Starter

Singing ships????

So, I took my Mac 22 out for her first sail. Just under main alone. Had a great time. Set up was easy and got her out without problems. Winds were fairly light for only having the main up but fun none the less Sailed to the other end of the lake and turned around. When I turned though something strange happened. I went from a starboard beam reach turned and went to a port beam reach. While on starboard it was quiet and normal. However once on port, it started singing, for lack of a better word. There was what sounded like a neighbor's lawnmower coming up from beneath. I tried adjusting the swing keel but that didn't fix it. Can't figure it out for the life of me. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I checked under the boat but didn't see anything unusual. The shrouds and stays weren't vibrating nor was the mast.

Oh, and my first sail was great, gonna try again this next weekend weather permitting. Spent today rewiring the boat and adding a compass and level. Got her cleaned up a good bit and I'm going to attempt to drill some holes in some stainless steel mast caps I got. I'm going to plug both ends of the mast to keep wasps out. And I'm going to have to find the missing batten for the main. I have it somewhere but didn't know what it was at the time. It's the upper most batten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-21-2019

Re: Singing ships????

Itís the hum of the swing keel cable. Perfectly normal. I owned a Venture 222 as my first boat. Congrats on the first sail. They are great boats to learn on imho.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-21-2019
arrgh!

Dock

I had a Chrysler LoneStar 13 several years ago when it was tuned into the wind just right the rigging would hum. At first, it made me nervous, but I got used to it and realized I was probably at my top speed when it was hummmmming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

post #4 of 23 Old 04-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Itís the hum of the swing keel cable. Perfectly normal. I owned a Venture 222 as my first boat. Congrats on the first sail. They are great boats to learn on imho.
Is there a way to quiet it? It was fairly loud to be honest. I've been on other swing keel boats and never heard it before. I tried loosening the cable all the way but it still did it.
Thanks Ken, I found the boat to be very forgiving and surprisingly responsive. I could make small adjustments to the sail and get an immediate response, I played with the sail and where I sat in the cockpit. Each thing changed the handling just a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I had a Chrysler LoneStar 13 several years ago when it was tuned into the wind just right the rigging would hum. At first, it made me nervous, but I got used to it and realized I was probably at my top speed when it was hummmmming
I thought it was the rigging at first but when I reached up and grabbed them the noise continued. I know I was nowhere near top speed as I only had the main out and the winds were not that strong.

Oh, one other thing that I discovered. The rudder floats. If I didn't have a pin to hold the rudder in I would have lost it completely. It actually bent the pin I was using. Next time out I'm going to try putting a couple of washers under the pin to take up the slack. If it doesn't have a chance to jump then it can't build the speed and force necessary to bend or break the pin.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-21-2019
arrgh!

Dock

I have taken to using a string tied to the pin on the rudder so if I drop it while installing the rudder, it doesn't go under, but I would guess it would help you from losing off the boat

why not get used to the singing and play your harmonical with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #6 of 23 Old 04-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I have taken to using a string tied to the pin on the rudder so if I drop it while installing the rudder, it doesn't go under, but I would guess it would help you from losing off the boat

why not get used to the singing and play your harmonical with it...

It's not the harmonica I'm worried about. It's my singing....
post #7 of 23 Old 04-21-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Lots of boats have a "sweet spot" where the boat vibrates at a harmonic frequency. It sings. I've often thought that it is when the boat is really moving, like Titus said. Sometimes you can feel it and not hear it. At any rate, I usually like it.

In my current boat it drove me crazy. It was going on all the time ... well, a lot of the time. I took the prop off and had it checked for pitch at Bay Propeller in Alameda. They said it was way off. It came back shinny and new looking, and I put it back on the boat. Hum gone. Actually every once and a while it comes back for short periods and very much less noisy. Now I like it!!
titustiger27 likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
Lots of boats have a "sweet spot" where the boat vibrates at a harmonic frequency. It sings. I've often thought that it is when the boat is really moving, like Titus said. Sometimes you can feel it and not hear it. At any rate, I usually like it.

In my current boat it drove me crazy. It was going on all the time ... well, a lot of the time. I took the prop off and had it checked for pitch at Bay Propeller in Alameda. They said it was way off. It came back shinny and new looking, and I put it back on the boat. Hum gone. Actually every once and a while it comes back for short periods and very much less noisy. Now I like it!!
That does make sense. The keel is awfully rough so that could contribute to the singing. Without the ability to lift her and drop her keel I can't do anything about it. I'm not about to risk a 500lb keel falling on me out where I live. I'd never get out from under it and no one is here to worry about me either. I'll play with it a bit more and see if I can't figure out the range on where she does this. I was going fairly slowly so that could be why she's sing all those bass notes.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-21-2019

Lots of boats hum, its a resonant frequency. Generally nothing to worry about. Some times going faster or slower will eliminate the hum.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-21-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It's not the harmonica I'm worried about. It's my singing....
I hear you, if I would have tried to harmonize....

....I would have had the coast guard all over me

Vector X Y

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in