Love a good boat chore day - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Locke
  • 2 Post By SteffanieS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Love a good boat chore day

So, I can't get my boat out because of the rain. My yard's too wet from all the rain and I don't want to leave ruts in my yard pulling the boat out. At any rate this was a beautiful weekend. I couldn't just waste it so I got to work. I fabricated a mast raising system that at most has cost me $20. I did that on Saturday. I have a couple of adjustments to do to make it work right but I need the boat up by the house in order to do that. After that I started digging around in the boat taking assessment of everything inside.
I found some bumpers, a swim ladder, and lots of various lines. However, I found something very interesting. The old boy I got it off of seemed to be thinking the same thing I was about running the lines to the cockpit. Back in the aft under the cockpit I found a bag. Inside was a pair of blocks for a deck organizer, and a pair of deck mounted pulleys to turn the lines aft. They work perfect with my cam cleats. So Sunday I installed them. LUCKY!!!! All I've left to do is run my new halyards and I'll be set.
Hopefully this next weekend if I'm not stuck I can take it out sailing again. If I'm still stuck then it's more boat chores. I'm rewiring it as I don't like the hack job that was in it. I've never see so much bare wire put together so haphazardly in a wet environment before. Gonna add a battery kill switch on the back wall next to the keel winch. I think that'd be a good idea. Also going to add a fire extinguisher. Need to get it refilled. Accidentally set it off.....
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2019

Re: Love a good boat chore day

It is good to love boat work as it's a steady part of boat ownership.

When I first owned my boat, I wanted to be sailing all of the time. I felt like the boat work interfered with the sailing. It finally occurred to me that boat work will take as long as it does and I should enjoy it. I was still on the boat. I was still spending time with my SO. Once I learned this, I learned to love boat work. Glad you already know this.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-18-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Love a good boat chore day

Just an update cause I'm still stuck inside this weekend too. I wasn't able to go sailing last weekend due to a sever lack of wind. otherwise it was a beautiful day. Instead I spent all weekend fooling around with that boat. I rewired it from end to end. I put in new tinned marine grade wire. Changed all the lights out for LED versions. I'll be adding another interior light as I have a spare one. And all I have left electrical wise is installing the battery cut off switch, battery, and securing the wires back out of the way.
I then got to work on the trailer. I took a pair of jack stands and lowered the front of the boat as far as I could. I then stretched a pair of 2x6s across the back with some padding on it. I made sure that it as far forward as I could make it and still be able to work. I then lifted the front of the boat with a floor jack and a large block of cedar. I was able to lift the boat just high enough to get the old bunks out one at a time. From there I put in new bunks made of 2x8x10 treated lumber wrapped in some good carpet. The old bunks were just normal 2x6's. I'll be adding a pair of bunks off to the sides for more stability soon.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in