Old sails - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 11-17-2019

Re: Old sails

You might be able to sell your main on eBay. Someone else might want your sail.

Also, people who know how to sew are often looking for sail material that can be repurposed. A local Craigslist ad for the sail might get you some bucks to help finance the purchase of a new sail.

Look online for good used sails for your boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 11-17-2019 Thread Starter

I'll be a while before I can get me a new main. I plan on replacing it within my next few paydays. I'm holding off on the jib as it's still in great shape. Unless I find a really good deal on one with some good colors to it.
post #13 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
....with some good colors to it.
I see it's not purely about saving money.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Assuming your sails show no visible damage to the clothe or grommets etc... and no obvious distortion / bagging out...it seems that aging.. stretching of the cloth is a slow continuous process.... and one you may not notice as it's gradual.

How would you determine the shape has reached the point where the sail can't perform well? Would you seek the advice on a sail with a sail maker or another sailor? What would inform your decision to but a new sail?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #15 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So, here's the question should I go ahead and purchase a new sail and hold onto it or wait until my current one finally goes out?

I was in the Caribbean and had sun damage on the main and looked like I needed a new one pronto. But I didn't have any money so I bought a litre (quater gallon) of contact cement glue and a few feet of free sail cloth from the trash.

I sailed from the Caribbean to panama.... 1,000nms
Panama to Galapagos... 1,000 nms
Galapagos to Australia.... 6,000 nms
Bought a new mainsail in Thailand but kept the old one up
Australia to TURKEY,.... ummmm, a long way....

The mainsail finally blew out 40 nms from marmaris, Turkey on the passage from Egypt... a full 2 years after the first patch was done.

So your UV damaged sail might last half a circumnavigation. Mine did!

By the way, sailmakers have a rip-off trick they use to scare you. The fold a bit of your sail between their thumb and forefingers and pull it apart with the leverage of both thumbs along a grain line of the sail. This put a small rip in your sail and they go "AHHH! See? You need a whole new sail!" The reason why this is BS is that the force they use is much higher than the wind and the wind goes across the sail and across the grain not with it.

Mark
SanderO and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Dock

I'm milking my main along too. It's original kit to my 1976 boat, and this Saturday was my 348th sea day on it. I have literally sailed the numbers off of it. I've had it patched six times and it has more seams and spots taped than I care to count. Keith, my sail maker, has priced a new one for me and I'll probably pull the trigger on that this winter. Every time Keith looks it over he is amazed at how well it is holding up, but he swears that one day it will just burst into tatters.

I'm attached to it. Keeping it alive is kinda fun. It's baggy and ugly, and there is no question of degraded performance. But I'm no racer that doesn't bother me much. It's days are numbered, but with all our history, it will be hard to make the change.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #17 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Stitching may go first...no?

post #18 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

I had a set of old sails in my basement for years. I had replaced the original-to-the-boat (Oday 23) sails as they were very soft and baggy with a custom set from a local sailmaker. I kept the old sails as emergency back ups, and never touched them in the 17+ years they sat there. When I decided to sell the boat, I was going to include the old set with the package, but I ran across this place:

https://seabags.com/our-company/sea-...e-program.html

I emailed them, and they came to my office, picked up the sails, and made me two bags made from my actual sails as "payment" for donating the material. They included the original "O23" logo from the main on each bag. So instead of taking up room at a landfill or sitting in someone's basement, my old sails provided me with two new bags (a tote and a duffel) that are personally meaningful to me. Noice.

When I get around to replacing the sails on my "new" boat, I'll probably do the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstern For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (11-28-2019)
post #19 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I had a set of old sails in my basement for years. I had replaced the original-to-the-boat (Oday 23) sails as they were very soft and baggy with a custom set from a local sailmaker. I kept the old sails as emergency back ups, and never touched them in the 17+ years they sat there. When I decided to sell the boat, I was going to include the old set with the package, but I ran across this place:

https://seabags.com/our-company/sea-...e-program.html

I emailed them, and they came to my office, picked up the sails, and made me two bags made from my actual sails as "payment" for donating the material. They included the original "O23" logo from the main on each bag. So instead of taking up room at a landfill or sitting in someone's basement, my old sails provided me with two new bags (a tote and a duffel) that are personally meaningful to me. Noice.

When I get around to replacing the sails on my "new" boat, I'll probably do the same thing.
Did the same!

post #20 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Dock

I love this idea and absolutely plan to use it! Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in