Old sails - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 11-18-2019

Re: Old sails

Here ya go... we got a few in different sizes and they were made from where the sail numbers were.
Attached Thumbnails
bag.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 11-22-2019

This may be what you're looking for? (This is from a C&C 30, 1974.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I believe they actually had a vang that worked w/the boom furler. It was a big horseshoe shaped hoop with rollers on the ends that went over the sail, but allowed it to roll up inside the hoop. There was a point mid-horseshoe to attach a block and tackle. You might find one in a used boat parts store if there is one near you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2787.jpg  
capta likes this.
post #23 of 35 Old 11-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Tom View Post
This may be what you're looking for? (This is from a C&C 30, 1974.)
Exactly. Every now and then, someone posts a picture of one of those here, says they found it on their boat and asks "anybody know what this is?"

All of the examples of this kind of reefing system that I've seen have been non-functional; some part has always been broken or missing, and the boat converted to slab reefing.

post #24 of 35 Old 11-22-2019
Senior Moment Member

Those are called Boom Claws.

That whole system sucked - it was nearly impossible to get a good sail shape even after a lot of fussing.

Converting to slab reefing is the way to go.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #25 of 35 Old 11-22-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

My wife tooK our old 155 and made a number of bags from it.

Two totes
60 “x 18 “ Duffle big with handles and zipper ( like a stackpac)
Under seat dinghy bag with Velcro loops so it hangs.
Anchor cover for the winter -

I use a carbon fiber Mylar bag made from Stars and Stripes USA11. Three years ago we went to San Diego and took a sail around the harbor on Dennis Connors famed monohull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #26 of 35 Old 11-22-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Those are called Boom Claws.

That whole system sucked - it was nearly impossible to get a good sail shape even after a lot of fussing.

Converting to slab reefing is the way to go.
Originally these systems were used on wooden spars and the boom was shaped for rolling the sail onto it. As my system had the gooseneck in the cockpit (long before the first roller furlers were available) it was a lifesaver (literally) in heavy weather and the sail shape was quite sufficient in 40+ knots of wind at sea.
Once folks converted them to alloy booms I can see how the systems may have been less practical, but that's what happens when folks take it into their head to change things without understanding the hows and whys of the original. I'd much rather have one of those systems properly set up than the modern boom furling systems, from what my research on them has revealed, though I have not used a modern one, so I'm not speaking from personal experience on this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 35 Old 11-23-2019

I've always felt that sail cloth (stiff, no stretch, hard to sew) was exactly the wrong material for everything other than sails. Thus, trying to make anything out of old sails is a waste of labor using the wrong material for the job. You wouldn't make sails from Cordura, Sunbrella or cotton canvas, would you? Thus, the only reason to sew a bag out of old sails is to be cute or cool, neither of which make any sense to me.

Racers don't have bags made from sailcloth, so they don't look racy either. Just "cute." Just sayin'.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #28 of 35 Old 11-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I've always felt that sail cloth (stiff, no stretch, hard to sew) was exactly the wrong material for everything other than sails. Thus, trying to make anything out of old sails is a waste of labor using the wrong material for the job. You wouldn't make sails from Cordura, Sunbrella or cotton canvas, would you? Thus, the only reason to sew a bag out of old sails is to be cute or cool, neither of which make any sense to me.

Racers don't have bags made from sailcloth, so they don't look racy either. Just "cute." Just sayin'.

Well we didn’t make the bags to be “cute or cool “ as you mentioned. We decided that we could either just throw the sail away ( it was 20 yers old) or do something with the material. Since it was Haleakulas old sail, that was our own uniqueness.

Throwing things away when not necessary when you can repurpose it is just another example of wasteful thinking our society has become.

As far as a waste of labor, that’s ridiculous. We have a Sailrite machine and my wife is a expert seemstress. She makes her own scrub suits, our house curtains etc, even if she only had average self taught sewing ability, little projects like this help to make her feel involved in the boat, it’s upkeep and the adventure we share with Haleakula. So many of our friends have wives/ significant others who just barely tolerate their “husbands “ sailboat. This keeps her involved. I have amateur sewing skill compared to her and can make a handled duffle bag in about 2 hours. No real “waste” of labor.

As far as the “wrong material” , that’s a matter of opinion. It’s indestructible and easy to clean.

The sail cloth is a perfect cover for our detachable engine lift and blocks to our Garhauer radar pole. It’s a perfect “ bag “ to load all our dry goods for a aweekend to transfer from the dock, dinghy to put onto the boat safely with a zipper and handles. Then it’s just folds up and stores easily with no bulk. We have even put mini wheels on one end of it.

One of things we noticed when traveling on our longer cruises was when we went into towns to do some reprovisioning using the dinghy, was that we needed bags to take the foods back on the dinghy and back to Haleakula. Taking this made bag with wheels made it easy. All folded up when we left the boat to the store. Easy to roll back from the store to the dinghy and easy and safe to lift back up into the boat. Then fold up small again when empty.

Again for 2 hours total work , reused sails ( ours) , not a bad investment. My wife has a seemstreess eye so she can trip the bag out so it looks professional, but even without that, my sewing attempts do look bad either and are very functional.
Minnesail and JoCoSailor like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #29 of 35 Old 11-23-2019

I've seen old sails lashed over a frame as a sun awning. Naturally, it was at a beachside restaurant. Grommets were added to the edges, so line could be woven around the frame. Thought it was a pretty cleaver re-purposing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 35 Old 11-23-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My wife tooK our old 155 and made a number of bags from it.

Two totes
60 “x 18 “ Duffle big with handles and zipper ( like a stackpac)
Under seat dinghy bag with Velcro loops so it hangs.
Anchor cover for the winter -

I use a carbon fiber Mylar bag made from Stars and Stripes USA11. Three years ago we went to San Diego and took a sail around the harbor on Dennis Connors famed monohull.
Wow! that must have been something!

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in