For Crew: How to Handle Docklines - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 55 Old 12-23-2016

Re: For Crew: How to Handle Docklines

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Over the years I've found that help from strangers on a dock can be more of a problem than help.
Bowlines tied to a mid-dock cleat while entering a slip, knots that don't hold, lines dropped into the water, etc. We do it ourselves, and just say, "Thanks, but we've got it".
You simply ask the good sameritan if they own a boat and what size. If they pass your minimum size perhaps they can handle the bitter end... if not it's, not worth the risks.

Many boats can be "docked" along side with no help ie single handed. Use a mid ship line and tie off to a pile or cleat and that secures the boat. With the bow and stern lines set up over the mid ship position... once on the dock you can grab them one at a time and set the bow and stern. This is probably OK for a quickie stop... longer add spring lines.

Color coded lines help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 Old 12-24-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
You simply ask the good sameritan if they own a boat and what size. If they pass your minimum size perhaps they can handle the bitter end... if not it's, not worth the risks.
Cute. I'm guessing by the time you've had that conversation, most would have been able to get her alongside, secure her and begun their wash down. lol
SVAuspicious likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #43 of 55 Old 12-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Cute. I'm guessing by the time you've had that conversation, most would have been able to get her alongside, secure her and begun their wash down. lol
And by the time the washdown is done, the whole marina has been warned about the jerk that just pulled in.

I've had "helpers" who made things worse too. I politely decline help except in special circumstances where I ask for it over the radio. Interrogation not required.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #44 of 55 Old 12-24-2016

It seems to me that if you need help, you'll accept whatever help you can get. If you don't need help, then you say so, and thank the samaritan for his offer. When I'm on the dock, I usually don't offer to help a docking boat unless the conditions are challenging, and it looks like they need help. In that case, I've never had anyone ask for my qualifications before they allowed me to take a line or fend their boat off from hitting the dock or another boat. Most folks are grateful for the offer.
post #45 of 55 Old 12-24-2016
al brazzi

If Im going to help I pick up a line and say "this is the one you want right"? knowing its the right one for the wind etc. By the time they figure out how to respond they have the lineIi gave them and the Boats tied up.
post #46 of 55 Old 12-24-2016

When offering help, I am always passive. If it's a regular slipholder coming in with his lines already pre-adjusted on the dock cleats, I will offer to hand it to them. If it's a transient, I will offer to take a line from them, and ask instructions on where/how they would like me to attach it. I never take a line off their boat without them instructing me to do so.

One thing that really irks me is when people offer to help me depart and start removing lines from my boat or dock. First, I want them removed in a certain order. Second, and equally importantly, I want them left on the dock in a specific configuration, with the midship spring going to the end of the finger pier so we can grab it as soon as the boat starts to enter the slip. I also want the loop oriented a certain way to facilitate grabbing it with the boat hook.

Occasionally I come back to my slip and someone has moved my lines around. That is particularly annoying, especially when I have to have the boat halfway into the slip before we can reach the spring line. By then it may be too late for it to do any good, because the wind will have blown us away from the finger pier already.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #47 of 55 Old 12-24-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
I've heard a lot about monkey fists causing serious injuries.
True, and use is regulated or banned in some places as @Arcb noted. I still keep the first one I tied, more as a souvenir than anything else.

In my experience if you get some practice you can heave a line to it's full extent out to about 70' without a weight. The difference between what you can do by hand and when you need a shotgun line thrower is pretty small. If you are so far off as to need a shotgun you should consider putting a dinghy in the water to run a line ashore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
There is a lot that I disagree with in the video (the lifeline gates should not be dropped, tying a bowline through a cleat guarantees chafe on the line and should only be done for very short stays or until the boat can be tied up properly, I disagree with not doing more than a 270 degree wrap if the line unless the is going to be on the cleat very short time due to chafe, the lines running perpendicular are specifically called breast lines, etc.) but I think that the video is helpful for a novice.
No. Yes. No.

Open lifeline gates are a huge help. They help with line handling and dock access. If you have a lot of freeboard on a floating dock you can sit on the deck edge before easing down to the dock (a tactic I use even single-handed - remember "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" (me)).

The only time I use a bowline in docking is as a temporary measure when I have an overloaded cleat and don't have a dockline with an eye or if I have to get a spring around a piling and don't have a long enough line to double back to the boat.

I completely disagree with what I think your are saying about cleat hitches. From the standing part run to the far side of the cleat and under the horn. Go under the opposite horn and then across the cleat and under the first horn. Put a lock turn on the second horn and you are done. Find something useful and tidy to do with rest of the working part that does NOT include more turns on the cleat. Ever. Not. Don't do it. You're done. There is no place in boating for "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot." Just stop.

Not mentioned anywhere in this thread is when to put out finders. I rarely put out fenders until I'm tied up. There are too many scenarios where catching a fender will damage life lines or stanchions. If a dock has issues (exposed nails, concrete, steel) that won't let you approach without fenders go somewhere else.

Quote:
Color coded lines help...
I don't understand. How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
It seems to me that if you need help, you'll accept whatever help you can get.
That depends on whether you stay in charge or the guy on the dock is in charge. I've certainly been "in charge" of dockings from the dock but how do you know if it is me on the dock or the owner of some marina queen? Do you want to take the chance that the person on the dock is more experienced than you? Absolutely do not assume a marina dockhand knows anything.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #48 of 55 Old 12-24-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
And by the time the washdown is done, the whole marina has been warned about the jerk that just pulled in.
I'm with you. Much is in the presentation both from the boat and the dock.

From the dock:

"How can I help?"

From the boat:

"Thanks for the offer. We have a plan. Give me a second and we'll hand you this line which you could leave there."

post #49 of 55 Old 12-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I don't understand. How?
Color codes help when you have a bunch a lines all in the same place.... such as lines under the dodger on the coach roof for reefing, halyards, topping life, outhaul, vang.... all coming thru a stopper...

My dock lines are of different lengths Bow the longest, stern the shorts and mid ship in between. Easier for anyone to set up the line on the right cleat when they know the color!

And for the person who doesn't know the proper name it's easier to say, "the red line"
post #50 of 55 Old 12-25-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
My dock lines are of different lengths Bow the longest, stern the shorts and mid ship in between. Easier for anyone to set up the line on the right cleat when they know the color!
Ah. I've never seen anyone color code dock lines. Running rigging sure.

Generally I see "regular" dock lines and long ones. Usually bow and stern lines are half a boat length or so and spring lines are a boat length or more.

For myself I buy line in a reel, cut to length, and splice eyes in one end. Obviously all the same color off a reel. I happen to like Navy blue 3-strand but that's just me.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in