How to Steer Using Sail Trim and Centre of Lateral Resistance - SailNet Community
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Arcb
  • 1 Post By JoCoSailor
  • 1 Post By Arcb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2019 Thread Starter

How to Steer Using Sail Trim and Centre of Lateral Resistance

A vid on how to steer using rig and hull balance. Vessel used in the demo is my sailing kayak, but may be interesting to anyone with a skeg, centre board or dinghy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (01-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2019

Re: How to Steer Using Sail Trim and Centre of Lateral Resistance

Thanks for posting...it was very informative
Arcb likes this.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
The Following User Says Thank You to JoCoSailor For This Useful Post:
Arcb (01-09-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2019

Arcb,
I checked out some of other your videos. That sailing a kayak looks like fun. Can that falcon sail be added to most any kayak?

TIA,
Lew

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter

It is fun, and way faster than the sail area would lead you to beleive. I did some speed trials with the boat and it ripped along at 4 knots in not all that much wind and I have had her up to 4.8. I will post the speed run when I get around to editing. I have been told by several race organisers I cant play with my sail rig installed because kayak sails are too "dangerous" (meaning too fast, unfair).

The answer to your question is yes. The Falcon sail will go on nearly any kayak. Sit on top, sit in, fibreglass, plastic, carbon fibre, recreational, touring or sea kayak. Boat specific deck step adapters and support struts come included with the kit at no additional cost. I have heard that the shorter wider recreational kayaks are easier to sail than my Sea Kayak (I only have a 23 inch beam). But, at this time, I have only sailed sea kayaks, mine and a 22 ft seaward.

My sail is a 1 square meter, I chose the small sail because I do a little bit of racing and the 1 meter sails are more widely accepted. However, Falcon also makes a 1.4 meter sail, which I suspect can be quite a bit faster.
JoCoSailor likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (01-12-2019)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2019 Thread Starter

I put together the speed trial vid. I did a back to back experiment. First I measured my paddling speed in as realistic conditions as I could come up with. 2 miles against wind and current, 2 miles with wind and current, then took the average. I came up with an average paddling speed of 3.0 knots including water breaks etc.

Then I repeated the experiment at a beach on Lake Ontario. I found an offshore wind, pretty close to perpendicular to a straight beach 1 mile long. wind was forecast 15 knots, but I estimated actual wind to be closer to 10-12 knots with gusts. I reached up and down the beach 4 times. Moving average over 4 runs, including gybes and my moving average came to 3.0 knots. Peak speed on the day was a beam reach of 4.4 knots. During the 4 runs I only used my paddle to rudder through gybes and for one paddle brace when a gust threatened to capsize me.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-17-2019 Thread Starter

Arcb, I'm anxious to see more from you on sailing Kayaks. How high can they point? Can you sail into the wind at all without skeg?

I watch one of your videos last night, where you went to Milton Island...where is that?

I am answering off the other youtube thread

Thats great, I am having fun making them.

My boat will point pretty high but I havent measured tacking angles yet. Its a great idea for a vid though. I am going to put it at the top of my video idea list for when the water softens up here. The best way I can describe the feel of kayak sailing in terms of pointing angle and acceleration is it feels like a beach cat, the beachable beach cats with no boards (hobie 16, hobie wave, Prindle 16, Hobie 14). However, if you throw in some paddlestrokes you can increase relative wind and they point really pretty high. I estimate they tack through about 120 degrees maybe a bit better.

I havent sailed a skegless kayak, but I have seen videos on facebook of both skegless skin on frame and skegless recreational kayaks sailing pretty decently upwind. I dont know how to share FB vids here though. I would say I get very little lift from my skeg, I think it more helps with steering. I would think a hard chine or v bottom would help the boat upwind, but I have only sailed sea kayaks at this time. I am guessing most skegless boats could probably make some ground to weather.

Milton Island is in the Thousand Islands on the St Lawrence Park. The Canada/US Border runs right through the middle of the islands, so some islands (including Milton) fall inside Ontario, and some Islands are in New York State. It is awesome cruising grounds on both sides of the border for boats big and small.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in