[Video] Will my 40 year old diesel start? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By VIEXILE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

[Video] Will my 40 year old diesel start?

https://youtu.be/2ZRAE3ZjiCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2019

Re: [Video] Will my 40 year old diesel start?

Getting close Bill.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Getting close Bill.
Seems that way, doesn't it ...

That footage was shot about 2 weeks ago. Things haven't gone so well, since

post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2019

So what's up with it? Usually a seal, a gasket, some tinkering will overcome a world of issues. Even though I've been sailing for 50 years, but not for the last 8 or 9 due to family issues, and been through half a dozen refits of various boats, I enjoy watching you while I do the same with my T37. You give this old **** confidence. Loved the masthead sheave replacement.
BillMoran likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2019

Once those new valves are underwater, they'll be under pressure, which may identify more weakness. I am a bit surprised you had any leaks. Your idea to plug from the outside can theoretically be done in the water too. I think I would only want to do so, with someone out there monitoring it. Not pound one in and then go back aboard and pull the valve. But it could avoid another trip to the lift.

Another thought would be to add a good pipe dope. I think that does better than teflon tape anyway. Also, the yellow teflon tape (max density) is much better. Some use both at the same time. Hopefully they held just fine.

You noted you ran the cooling water dry. Probably didn't matter, but I worry about impellers if run dry for any amount of time. I've had them look just fine, but fail shortly thereafter, at the worst possible time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIEXILE View Post
So what's up with it? Usually a seal, a gasket, some tinkering will overcome a world of issues. Even though I've been sailing for 50 years, but not for the last 8 or 9 due to family issues, and been through half a dozen refits of various boats, I enjoy watching you while I do the same with my T37. You give this old **** confidence. Loved the masthead sheave replacement.
Glad you're enjoying the videos. What are you asking about, regarding the seal/gasket/etc?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Once those new valves are underwater, they'll be under pressure, which may identify more weakness. I am a bit surprised you had any leaks. Your idea to plug from the outside can theoretically be done in the water too. I think I would only want to do so, with someone out there monitoring it. Not pound one in and then go back aboard and pull the valve. But it could avoid another trip to the lift.

Another thought would be to add a good pipe dope. I think that does better than teflon tape anyway. Also, the yellow teflon tape (max density) is much better. Some use both at the same time. Hopefully they held just fine.

You noted you ran the cooling water dry. Probably didn't matter, but I worry about impellers if run dry for any amount of time. I've had them look just fine, but fail shortly thereafter, at the worst possible time.
I didn't quite run it dry ... almost ... caught it just in time.

I think that's a good point about the impeller. It's the one that was on the boat when I bought it, so I don't actually know how old it is, despite the fact that it _looks_ Ok, it might be prudent to just put a new one on.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
.....It's the one that was on the boat when I bought it, so I don't actually know how old it is, despite the fact that it _looks_ Ok, it might be prudent to just put a new one on.
Mandatory. Impellers only fail at the worst moments. BTDT. I replace mine annually. A visual inspection isn't going to catch much more than a serious failure that's too late anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-11-2019)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Glad you're enjoying the videos. What are you asking about, regarding the seal/gasket/etc?
Engine tinkering. My injector pump needs a seal and heat exchanger is going to get yanked and cleaned out. I haven't even stuck my head into the engine compartment for more than a couple minutes yet. Working on rudder, pintle and rebedding deck hardware. Bow to stern, deck to centerboard, float float, go forward go forward.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIEXILE View Post
Engine tinkering. My injector pump needs a seal and heat exchanger is going to get yanked and cleaned out. I haven't even stuck my head into the engine compartment for more than a couple minutes yet. Working on rudder, pintle and rebedding deck hardware. Bow to stern, deck to centerboard, float float, go forward go forward.
I'm not having any issues with the engine at this time. She was a little lazy starting up, but I'm chalking that up to not having run for 18 months.

Just trying to do everything possible to ensure things continue to go well. Preventative maintenance and all that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in