SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance/How-to Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/)
-   -   One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/329182-one-worst-fouled-bottoms-ive-ever-come-across.html)

Tom Crookston 04-14-2019 05:30 PM

Re: One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across

I'm in the great lakes fortunately. But say, eventually I wanted to try America's Great Loop, and journey into the Gulf via Mississipi/Louisiana and around florida up the east coast and back into the lakes...anyone think I need antifouling for the saltwater half of the journey?

RegisteredUser 04-14-2019 06:21 PM

I think much of this depends on how long you hang about in places.
Rolling stone gathers no moss kinda thing.

Tom Crookston 04-15-2019 07:16 AM

Good point, I have heard growth doesn't settle nearly as badly on boats in constant motion. The extent will be something I just have to experience first hand.

Captain Canuck 04-15-2019 10:03 AM

I saw a bottom like this in St. Maarten. It was so bad you could see the seaweed moving with the tide.

Fstbttms 04-15-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Crookston (Post 2051595910)
...anyone think I need antifouling for the saltwater half of the journey?

You will regret it if you don't and anybody who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

Terry L 04-15-2019 11:57 AM

I donít know where that constant motion idea comes from. Did any of you see the condition of the Golden Globe boats bottoms? And that was with antifouling.

scubadoo 04-15-2019 12:32 PM

Wow, is there a hull in there somewhere? What were you supposed to "inspect"?

Sailormon6 04-15-2019 01:37 PM

Many years ago I towed a Catalina 22 without antifouling to Florida for a Gulf coastal cruise, and in a little over two weeks, I saw a few tiny barnacles just beginning to develop. It doesn't take long.

fallard 04-15-2019 04:11 PM

I keep a RIB dinghy out of the water when it is not in active use. If we are weekending, there is no significant attachment of biologicals. If we go out for a week, keeping the boat moving in coastal New England waters, we will see seed barnacles start to attach themselves, so it is easy to image that you would want to used anti fouling paint for a great circle cruise, where you will see much warmer water.

Fstbttms 04-15-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubadoo (Post 2051596058)
Wow, is there a hull in there somewhere? What were you supposed to "inspect"?

Mostly just to check if there was any running gear left or significant damage that could be spotted.