SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance/How-to Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/)
-   -   One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/329182-one-worst-fouled-bottoms-ive-ever-come-across.html)

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 01:40 AM

One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across

There is nothing visible below the waterline that indicates this is a boat! :grin
https://youtu.be/eOFx47M9DIg

CVAT 04-14-2019 01:52 AM

Re: One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across

That's not a bottom it's a botanical garden and zoo.....

SV Siren 04-14-2019 08:13 AM

I hope you got it clean before the state found out and declared it a "marine sanctuary"! :devil

I cannot imagine how long that took to clean..

Slayer 04-14-2019 08:19 AM

Needed a machete to clean that!!

hpeer 04-14-2019 10:28 AM

Could not watch whole video, slow connection, but saw enough to get the idea.

I see the video was labeled inspection. That raises some questions. Was this an insurance inspection, pre-sale, to get a quote on cleaning, a miss label?

But why even bother with an in water cleaning, obviously the anti-fouling is long gone and the boat needs to be hauled for a complete bottom job.

One also wonders about the topside ship condition.

Im hauling tomorrow. Very interested to see what growth we have. Only 6 months but my diving says it looks pretty good.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 2051595844)
I see the video was labeled inspection. That raises some questions. Was this an insurance inspection, pre-sale, to get a quote on cleaning, a miss label?

"The customer is considering taking over ownership" is probably the best way to describe why I was asked to look at the bottom.

Quote:

But why even bother with an in water cleaning, obviously the anti-fouling is long gone and the boat needs to be hauled for a complete bottom job.

I don't believe that is being considered, near-term.

Quote:

One also wonders about the topside ship condition.

Topsides don't look too bad, surprisingly.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Siren (Post 2051595828)
I hope you got it clean before the state found out and declared it a "marine sanctuary"! :devil

I cannot imagine how long that took to clean..

I haven't yet been asked to clean this boat. My $10/foot quote gave the prospective owner pause. But were we to do the job, I suspect a couple of hours with a heavy duty scraper would get it done.

Tom Crookston 04-14-2019 12:26 PM

14 Attachment(s)
How long does it take to see growth like this?! ..i'm a dry sailor but plan on taking a sixth month trip in the next few years. Curious if I just keep up with scrapping that anti fouling paint would just be a waste. Especially if anti fouling is rendered useless when kept out of the water for any short period. I wouldn't want to do a costly paint job for just 6 months of use. But I also wouldn't want to see this by even the end of my trip.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Crookston (Post 2051595858)
How long does it take to see growth like this?! ..i'm a dry sailor but plan on taking a sixth month trip in the next few years. Curious if I just keep up with scrapping that anti fouling paint would just be a waste. Especially if anti fouling is rendered useless when kept out of the water for any short period. I wouldn't want to do a costly paint job for just 6 months of use. But I also wouldn't want to see this by even the end of my trip.

If you keep a boat in saltwater, you absolutely need anti fouling paint and you absolutely need regular cleaning. I was told this was ten years of deferred maintenance.

hpeer 04-14-2019 03:37 PM

It all depends. In Newfoundland we see very little bottom growth in a season, 4 months, almost nil. In Luperon, DR I swear the growth move faster than the moon. At first you see nothing, have a beer or two and look back, and its moved! A month there and you need a cleaning.

Clean flowing water is fairly OK. Sitting in a port with little water exchange and you can get a lot of growth quickly, especially if its warm.