SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance/How-to Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/)
-   -   One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/329182-one-worst-fouled-bottoms-ive-ever-come-across.html)

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 12:40 AM

One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across

There is nothing visible below the waterline that indicates this is a boat! :grin
https://youtu.be/eOFx47M9DIg

CVAT 04-14-2019 12:52 AM

Re: One Of The Worst Fouled Bottoms I've Ever Come Across

That's not a bottom it's a botanical garden and zoo.....

SV Siren 04-14-2019 07:13 AM

I hope you got it clean before the state found out and declared it a "marine sanctuary"! :devil

I cannot imagine how long that took to clean..

Slayer 04-14-2019 07:19 AM

Needed a machete to clean that!!

hpeer 04-14-2019 09:28 AM

Could not watch whole video, slow connection, but saw enough to get the idea.

I see the video was labeled ďinspectionĒ. That raises some questions. Was this an insurance inspection, pre-sale, to get a quote on cleaning, a miss label?

But why even bother with an in water cleaning, obviously the anti-fouling is long gone and the boat needs to be hauled for a complete bottom job.

One also wonders about the topside ship condition.

Iím hauling tomorrow. Very interested to see what growth we have. Only 6 months but my diving says it looks pretty good.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 2051595844)
I see the video was labeled ďinspectionĒ. That raises some questions. Was this an insurance inspection, pre-sale, to get a quote on cleaning, a miss label?

"The customer is considering taking over ownership" is probably the best way to describe why I was asked to look at the bottom.

Quote:

But why even bother with an in water cleaning, obviously the anti-fouling is long gone and the boat needs to be hauled for a complete bottom job.

I don't believe that is being considered, near-term.

Quote:

One also wonders about the topside ship condition.

Topsides don't look too bad, surprisingly.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Siren (Post 2051595828)
I hope you got it clean before the state found out and declared it a "marine sanctuary"! :devil

I cannot imagine how long that took to clean..

I haven't yet been asked to clean this boat. My $10/foot quote gave the prospective owner pause. But were we to do the job, I suspect a couple of hours with a heavy duty scraper would get it done.

Tom Crookston 04-14-2019 11:26 AM

14 Attachment(s)
How long does it take to see growth like this?! ..i'm a dry sailor but plan on taking a sixth month trip in the next few years. Curious if I just keep up with scrapping that anti fouling paint would just be a waste. Especially if anti fouling is rendered useless when kept out of the water for any short period. I wouldn't want to do a costly paint job for just 6 months of use. But I also wouldn't want to see this by even the end of my trip.

Fstbttms 04-14-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Crookston (Post 2051595858)
How long does it take to see growth like this?! ..i'm a dry sailor but plan on taking a sixth month trip in the next few years. Curious if I just keep up with scrapping that anti fouling paint would just be a waste. Especially if anti fouling is rendered useless when kept out of the water for any short period. I wouldn't want to do a costly paint job for just 6 months of use. But I also wouldn't want to see this by even the end of my trip.

If you keep a boat in saltwater, you absolutely need anti fouling paint and you absolutely need regular cleaning. I was told this was ten years of deferred maintenance.

hpeer 04-14-2019 02:37 PM

It all depends. In Newfoundland we see very little bottom growth in a season, 4 months, almost nil. In Luperon, DR I swear the growth move faster than the moon. At first you see nothing, have a beer or two and look back, and itís moved! A month there and you need a cleaning.

Clean flowing water is fairly OK. Sitting in a port with little water exchange and you can get a lot of growth quickly, especially if itís warm.

Tom Crookston 04-14-2019 05:30 PM

I'm in the great lakes fortunately. But say, eventually I wanted to try America's Great Loop, and journey into the Gulf via Mississipi/Louisiana and around florida up the east coast and back into the lakes...anyone think I need antifouling for the saltwater half of the journey?

RegisteredUser 04-14-2019 06:21 PM

I think much of this depends on how long you hang about in places.
Rolling stone gathers no moss kinda thing.

Tom Crookston 04-15-2019 07:16 AM

Good point, I have heard growth doesn't settle nearly as badly on boats in constant motion. The extent will be something I just have to experience first hand.

Captain Canuck 04-15-2019 10:03 AM

I saw a bottom like this in St. Maarten. It was so bad you could see the seaweed moving with the tide.

Fstbttms 04-15-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Crookston (Post 2051595910)
...anyone think I need antifouling for the saltwater half of the journey?

You will regret it if you don't and anybody who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

Terry L 04-15-2019 11:57 AM

I donít know where that constant motion idea comes from. Did any of you see the condition of the Golden Globe boats bottoms? And that was with antifouling.

scubadoo 04-15-2019 12:32 PM

Wow, is there a hull in there somewhere? What were you supposed to "inspect"?

Sailormon6 04-15-2019 01:37 PM

Many years ago I towed a Catalina 22 without antifouling to Florida for a Gulf coastal cruise, and in a little over two weeks, I saw a few tiny barnacles just beginning to develop. It doesn't take long.

fallard 04-15-2019 04:11 PM

I keep a RIB dinghy out of the water when it is not in active use. If we are weekending, there is no significant attachment of biologicals. If we go out for a week, keeping the boat moving in coastal New England waters, we will see seed barnacles start to attach themselves, so it is easy to image that you would want to used anti fouling paint for a great circle cruise, where you will see much warmer water.

Fstbttms 04-15-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubadoo (Post 2051596058)
Wow, is there a hull in there somewhere? What were you supposed to "inspect"?

Mostly just to check if there was any running gear left or significant damage that could be spotted.

bergsy 08-12-2019 12:57 PM

I would worry a lot about how the rest of the boat, and equipment, were maintained.

Fstbttms 08-12-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergsy (Post 2051619700)
I would worry a lot about how the rest of the boat, and equipment, were maintained.

The buyer decided to take a pass on this boat.

ImGary01 08-12-2019 02:56 PM

I think I saw Michael Jackson's missing glove in there. And not the blue one the diver is wearing either.

SanderO 08-12-2019 08:44 PM

speaking of fouling.... speedos do suffer from it. I now have a paddle wheel type whoch replaced an impeller which was a mini propeller thingy. Both do get fouled but I think the paddle wheel is a worse design... as I cleaned it last week. The critters make a home inside the housing in addition to setting up shop on the paddle wheel itself. Impeller would get weeds and crusty, but did not have a colony or micro shrimp. Now I remove it when I am not aboard.

Minnewaska 08-13-2019 07:11 AM

I find I can get away with leaving the speed wheel in, until about mid July. Then the growth is too much, if it sits for more than a few days. I hate to remove and replace, as it lets several cups of seawater enter the bilge, which I then clean out.

Even when I've neglected it and the speed stops reading, I've never found the wheel won't turn. I'm not certain how they work, but I think they are magnetic, not mechanical and the sensor notices the cups go by. The critters or slight fouling seems to interfere with the sensor, more than interfere with the cups spinning. If I don't have time for it to dry out and fall off, I find myself digging in there with a toothpick.

SanderO 08-14-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051619842)
I find I can get away with leaving the speed wheel in, until about mid July. Then the growth is too much, if it sits for more than a few days. I hate to remove and replace, as it lets several cups of seawater enter the bilge, which I then clean out.

Even when I've neglected it and the speed stops reading, I've never found the wheel won't turn. I'm not certain how they work, but I think they are magnetic, not mechanical and the sensor notices the cups go by. The critters or slight fouling seems to interfere with the sensor, more than interfere with the cups spinning. If I don't have time for it to dry out and fall off, I find myself digging in there with a toothpick.

Airmar has a thru hull with a "valve/flap" which reduces the inflow to way less than a cup of seawater... so pulling and popping it in is not biggie.

Minnewaska 08-14-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051620058)
Airmar has a thru hull with a "valve/flap" which reduces the inflow to way less than a cup of seawater... so pulling and popping it in is not biggie.

Mine has the flap. They probably wear out or get fouled themselves. Itís not a gusher, but it is a few cups of water, as I said. Could also be a factor of only being able to reach one hand down to it. You canít do a cups and balls two handed magic swap. You have to pull one out, drop it and pull your hand back to pick up the other and then reach back in to install.

The biggie for me is that the water takes off, under an inaccessible part of cabin sole, which is around the mast. I have to wait for it all to drain through a limber hole and then pick it up out of an accessible compartment. Just a PITA. I do it, but I do try to get away with not making the swap, as much as I can.

SanderO 08-14-2019 04:35 PM

It's a matter of technique..... have the plug ready.... unscrew the nut, pull the speedo with one hand.. and shove the plug in with the other.

Minnewaska 08-14-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051620140)
It's a matter of technique..... have the plug ready.... unscrew the nut, pull the speedo with one hand.. and shove the plug in with the other.

Re-read. You can’t fit both hands in the space, so you still need to extract one hand, before inserting the other. Its also off to the side, so it’s unbalanced. One of your hands is holding you up, while you reach. It’s a one hand job.

SanderO 08-14-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051620152)
Re-read. You canít fit both hands in the space, so you still need to extract one hand, before inserting the other. Its also off to the side, so itís unbalanced. One of your hands is holding you up, while you reach. Itís a one hand job.

I apologize as I didn't understand your situation. I moved the location of my speedo to CL forward of the keel where the most accurate reading can be taken... no keel effects. I also placed it under a section CL where I can get to it easily. This was considered in the placement. So I have two hands free and can kneel down and swap them lickity split.

You might consider a new convenient location for the speedo next time you haul.

Minnewaska 08-15-2019 06:34 AM

SO, thanks for the suggestion. Moving the speedo might make it easier. However, thatís quite an exercise to drill a new hole in the boat and patch the old one. The cure might be worse than the disease.

SanderO 08-15-2019 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051620204)
SO, thanks for the suggestion. Moving the speedo might make it easier. However, thatís quite an exercise to drill a new hole in the boat and patch the old one. The cure might be worse than the disease.

Minnie... this is not a difficult project. 30 years ago I decided to added a back up system which had a tri-ducer. I drilled the hull on CL in the Ve berth.... Used it for a number of years and then it went south along with the company which made it.

So I removed it and filled the hole one spring. Again not a big project.

This Spring I decided to move by speedo which was next to the keel... and to get to it required removing all the gear stored under a settee. YUCK and a pain in the ass if underway and heeled. It was easy to reach once all the stuff was removed... then of course replaced. So I drilled out the plugged hole... the old and new were actually the same diameter so that worked out well. I have two transducers so I left the old one in the unused location... but with a plug in place.... and ran the new cable through the center of the bilge... again an easy task.

Now I lift up a small floor board for access. Easy peasy. The hardest part is getting up from kneeling on the sole!

This is better from many reasons... consider doing it at your next haul out.

SanderO 08-15-2019 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051620204)
SO, thanks for the suggestion. Moving the speedo might make it easier. However, that’s quite an exercise to drill a new hole in the boat and patch the old one. The cure might be worse than the disease.

Minnie... this is not a difficult project. 30 years ago I decided to added a back up system which had a tri-ducer. I drilled the hull on CL in the Ve berth.... Used it for a number of years and then it went south along with the company which made it.

So I removed it and filled the hole one spring. Again not a big project.

This Spring I decided to move by speedo which was next to the keel... and to get to it required removing all the gear stored under a settee. YUCK and a pain in the ass if underway and heeled. It was easy to reach once all the stuff was removed... then of course replaced. So I drilled out the plugged hole... the old and new were actually the same diameter so that worked out well. A bit of a sloppy job routering out the liner to get to the hull. It's hidden by the holly and teak sole. My bad. I have two transducers so I left the old one in the unused location... but with a plug in place.... and ran the new cable through the center of the bilge... again an easy task.

Now I lift up a small floor board for access. Easy peasy. The hardest part is getting up from kneeling on the sole!

This is better from many reasons... consider doing it at your next haul out. You won't regret it.

Photo shows transducer before wire was run under the sole.