When The Boatyard Doesn't Know How To Put Your Max Prop Back Together - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Re: When The Boatyard Doesn't Know How To Put Your Max Prop Back Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
PYI does not recommend doing this in the water!
This is not so. I have done many, many underwater installations and repitches of the Classic model and almost every one of those jobs has come from a PYI referral.

Quote:
However, IIRC, the newer MaxProps allow for an easier adjustment in the water. I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the prop in the video is a newer model that has a much simpler adjustment process that still needs a diver, but does not require a haul-out.
This prop is the now-discontinued Eco-wind model (I mistakenly identified it as an Easy model in the video.) It does have an external pitch adjustment feature. However, PYI has recommend that the prop be shipped to them for reassembly as they believe it was done incorrectly at the yard. That said, no Max Prop, regardless of model, requires hauling the boat for repitching.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 05-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
fallard (05-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
This is not so. I have done many, many underwater installations and repitches of the Classic model and almost every one of those jobs has come from a PYI referral.
I stand partially corrected. When I had a prop casualty about 18 yrs or so ago, my son disentangled a concrete block that had been winched up, ripping and dog-earring all 3 blades. In the process, he dismantled the prop and placed the parts on the dock. That’s when I called PYI for help.

PYI’s response was that they did not recommend in-water assembly, but that there were a limited number of divers nationwide that had their confidence and could be recommended to assemble/reassemble the MaxProp Classic. Fstbttms is apparently one of those divers. Unfortunately, none of them were anywhere near me.

PYI did provide the instructions for setting the pitch and my son, who is an accomplished diver, properly pitched the prop and reassembled it in about 90 minutes. Luckily, the damage was symmetrical and we were able to get to our marina without a lot of vibration at low speed. I am assuming he reused the short cotters that lock the setscrews, which would explain why it took him so long—especially as a first-timer at this.

The newer MaxProp designs seem to be far friendlier for underwater assembly than my Classic model. We’ve had our MaxProp back to PYI twice for major overhauls and I was the one the reassembled it on the hard when we got it back. I can understand why PYI did not recommend assembly in-water by an unqualified diver/mechanic.

Last edited by fallard; 05-06-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Typo
post #13 of 15 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
The newer MaxProp designs seem to be far friendlier for underwater assembly than my Classic model.
The newer Max Prop models do not require in-water assembly/disassembly for installation or repitching.

post #14 of 15 Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
The newer Max Prop models do not require in-water assembly/disassembly for installation or repitching.
Exactly. You can check out the instructional videos on the PYI site and see for yourself how complex the installation of a Classic model on the shaft is, comparedófor exampleóto the Easy model. Anyone who thinks installing or even repitching the Classic model in the water (which requires partial disassembly) isnít a nightmare hasnít done it or looked at the 3-blade installation video: https://www.pyiinc.com/max-prop-classic.html.

Kudos to fstbttms if he has worked the Classic model multiple times in the water, but I still believe the PYI advice not to try this yourself.

BTW, PYI customer support is absolutely the best.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-07-2019

It would have to be a serious emergency for me to ever consider working on my max prop in the water. I've done it ashore and wished I had a third hand. Some of the pins are so small, I can't imagine having the dexterity to manipulate them underwater. Let alone, with our water viz, there is no way I'd see the lettering, among all the grease, to make the proper adjustment.

If there was a diver that was good at it, this is a guaranteed hire-out job. Or a short haul.

As to the OP, my imagination has me thinking the actual mechanic that did the work had never done one before. If you follow the directions, it's not brain surgery, it's just awkward, at times. I can see the yard giving the new guy the job, who didn't have any perspective on whether they did it right or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in