SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance/How-to Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/)
-   -   When The Boatyard Doesn't Know How To Put Your Max Prop Back Together (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/329498-when-boatyard-doesnt-know-how-put-your-max-prop-back-together.html)

Fstbttms 05-04-2019 10:59 AM

When The Boatyard Doesn't Know How To Put Your Max Prop Back Together

outbound 05-04-2019 12:05 PM

Re: When The Boatyard Doesn't Know How To Put Your Max Prop Back Together

D’uh. Did they charge to fix it?

eherlihy 05-04-2019 02:40 PM

I'll bet that the boat currently backs like a champ. Forward, not so much.

Minnewaska 05-05-2019 07:59 AM

Anybody remember the old AAMCO transmission repair commercials in the 70s-80s? “Hey, boss, let me try. I always wanted to work on a transmission”

tempest 05-05-2019 08:56 AM

My yard has an excellent Prop Shop, but, they don't touch Max Props. They sent mine back to PYI for me, it came back looking like, a Brand New Prop. ( and it worked)

Minnewaska 05-05-2019 09:06 AM

I sent my max prop to PYI to repair a ding in the leading edge of one blade. It came back looking new, but I still needed to assemble it and set the pitch correctly. They have a few different models. Mine requires lining up letters on the gear teeth inside the hub and it installs in pieces.

fallard 05-05-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051600138)
I sent my max prop to PYI to repair a ding in the leading edge of one blade. It came back looking new, but I still needed to assemble it and set the pitch correctly. They have a few different models. Mine requires lining up letters on the gear teeth inside the hub and it installs in pieces.

My MaxProp is an older 3-bladed model—perhaps the “Classic”—which requires assembling a lot of loose parts on the shaft, as Minne describes. You would have to deal with this if you wanted to change the pitch. PYI does not recommend doing this in the water! (We had to reassemble our MaxProp in the water once and it took my son 90 minutes on SCUBA in shallow water that allowed him to plant his feet on the bottom. It was either that or get towed to a marina for a haul-out.)

However, IIRC, the newer MaxProps allow for an easier adjustment in the water. I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the prop in the video is a newer model that has a much simpler adjustment process that still needs a diver, but does not require a haul-out. That said, there may be an assembly problem with the prop in the video that would not allow for an easy, in-water adjustment of forward pitch, but it wasn’t apparent from the video. What is obvious was that the yard screwed up and should have noticed this problem before launch.

Capt Len 05-05-2019 11:47 AM

Ive re/re'd my older stylel 3 bl Max many times, never in the water. Only problem I ever had was the nose zinc. Two models , nearly identical, one doesn't allow full blade rotation .Good to test this before launch.

SV Siren 05-06-2019 06:30 AM

The really sad thing is that the yard workers left it this way knowing it wasn't right. Once the prop is on , it is only human nature to spin it and watch how it folds, and still they left it out of pitch. I've got one of the old 3 blade classics, my daughter loves to spin it.

Fstbttms 05-06-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051600030)
D’uh. Did they charge to fix it?

It's not fixed. I'm going to pull it this week and ship it to PYI for repitching.