SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Reattach the head stay, Heat strip bottom paint, Power tools to use

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
There is no easy way to remove all the bottom paint, but heat stripping might be an alternative.

#2 ·
I do wonder what grade toxic material that would be and whether you'd need proper breathing apparatus to do the job safely?
Sanded bottom paint is bad enough, but you want to heat it up? No thanks.

#3 ·
He apparently had limited options. I'd also be very uneasy about using a heat gun on toxic paints without a full respirator. There are sanding meshes that don't clog the way sandpaper does--but he may not have had access to them. I think my first choice would be a jelly paint stripper, let it do the heavy lifting all by itself. Something else he might not have had access to.

and there is also dry ice blasting, like sand blasting but with crushed dry ice. The dry ice evaporates and all you've got left is the actual paint sitting on a tarp under the boat, easy to dispose of and not really scattered around. That's fairly new even on the US market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.