Heave To - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 85 Old 07-25-2019

Re: Heave To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Tiller cclutch? I am intrigued. Sounds useful.
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

Yes similar to the above; "poor man's autopilot". It's real nice, made of solid feeling metal. Simple to set up and use. Makes it easy for me to tack, without making my wife put her wine down..
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

Last edited by Scandium; 07-26-2019 at 07:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scandium For This Useful Post:
Arcb (07-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 85 Old 07-25-2019

Always preferred tillers. Think that it’s unfortunate that other than the Dystra designed boats they’re not commonly seen on boats in the 45-55’ range.
An interesting wrinkle is to have the tiller pilot control the windvane. I bought my Hydrovane off another Outbound. It came with a tiller pilot and the fittings to attach it to the vane. We also had a RM below deck AP from the get go. So never rigged the tiller pilot. Still an interesting concept. Suspect the tiller pilot would use less wattage than the below deck unit. Wonder if anyone has experience using a tiller pilot on a windvane?

Agree many cruising boats will be continuing to be actively sailed in force 7. (We would and have). However was trying to define the term “heavy weather” for general usage.

Now returning to the scheduled program.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 07-25-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #73 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Here’s my version of the tiller tamer. Uses heavy bronze belaying pins instead of line. Works well!
Dude! That's wicked old school awesome.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (07-26-2019)

post #74 of 85 Old 07-26-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

Yes similar to the above; "poor man's autopilot". It's real nice, made of solid feeling metal. Simple to set up and use. Makes it easy for me to tack, without making my wife put her wine down..
That is a "Rich man's 'poor man's autopilot'" . A real poor man's autopilot is simply made of a heavy length of shock chord (or an old bicycle inner tube if you are really poor) stretched tightly across the cockpit. To engage the 'autopilot', take 2 or 3 wraps around the end of the tiller. To fine tune adjust the 'autopilot' rotate the turns around the tiller slightly one way or the other until the boat balances with the sail plan. On old boats with lots of weather helm the 'autopilot' can be set so that it pulls the tiller to windward and takes some of the load off the helmsman.

Jeff
MarkofSeaLife, Minnesail and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #75 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

Didn’t slocum tie the sheet to the tiller to achieve the same thing. There wasn’t an AP on Spray.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #76 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
That is a "Rich man's 'poor man's autopilot'" . A real poor man's autopilot is simply made of a heavy length of shock chord (or an old bicycle inner tube if you are really poor) stretched tightly across the cockpit. To engage the 'autopilot', take 2 or 3 wraps around the end of the tiller. To fine tune adjust the 'autopilot' rotate the turns around the tiller slightly one way or the other until the boat balances with the sail plan. On old boats with lots of weather helm the 'autopilot' can be set so that it pulls the tiller to windward and takes some of the load off the helmsman.

Jeff
Sure, fair enough. But in the sailboat world $70 is basically zero..
Minnesail likes this.
post #77 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Didn’t slocum tie the sheet to the tiller to achieve the same thing. There wasn’t an AP on Spray.
Sort of. Sheet to tiller steering is a bit different from what I understand. More of a poor man's wind vane? Too complicated for me to bother figuring out
post #78 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

Sheet to tiller steering has a long tradition, yes. Webb Chiles (self-portrait in the present sea journal) used it extensively in his most recent solo circumnavigation. There's a good explanation on https://www.blueanarchy.org/selfsteering/ (ignore the SSL error).
post #79 of 85 Old 07-26-2019

The Tiller Tamer was the best $35 gadget I ever bought. With the sails balanced, I could go quite some time without having to tend to the helm. A great boon while I was single handing; I could set the helm and go forward to raise or lower the main, go below to hit the head or get a drink or something to eat. Or just hang out.

And even though I've only recently swapped my tiller-steered Oday 23 for a wheel-steered Catalina 28, I do miss some things about the tiller. As someone here mentioned, there's that immediate feedback from the rudder. No wheel gives you that. I also miss being able to raise the tiller completely out of the way while just hanging out in the cockpit. There's a lot of room to be had that you will never get with a steering pedestal and wheel in the way.

On the other hand, I no longer impale or goose my passengers while steering....
post #80 of 85 Old 07-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I can (and do) heave to in my Catalina 22. It tends to oscillate back and forth, so even with my main sheeted in the boat will often be beam to the wind, so I don’t think I’d want to use the technique in large waves.

I have found our C22 heaves to best with no jib, just a main. Believe it or not. I discovered this by accident one day when the wife was changing headsails while we were hove to in 17-ish knots.

The boat presents her bow quarter to the seas rather than her stern quarter, creates a better slick, and moves much slower. Makes no difference in benign conditions of course, but definitely better in a blow.

Sorry if you already knew this.
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in