Heave To - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 85 Old 07-29-2019

Re: Heave To

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
I have found our C22 heaves to best with no jib, just a main. Believe it or not. I discovered this by accident one day when the wife was changing headsails while we were hove to in 17-ish knots.

The boat presents her bow quarter to the seas rather than her stern quarter, creates a better slick, and moves much slower. Makes no difference in benign conditions of course, but definitely better in a blow.
That makes sense to me. Instead of having the main sheeted in pretty tight to balance out the jib, you could drop the jib and leave the main quite a bit looser.

Of course one of the nice things about heaving to is that you don't have to drop or raise a sail.
Arcb likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 Old 07-30-2019

I would starve on your boats.
post #83 of 85 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter

Sailing in even moderately dirty weather, which could include F5 or 6 for some very light craft, can be a pretty high energy activity.

Doesn't matter if its for a week end or a month, if your crew (including yourself) is crashing, you need to feed and water them in my opinion. Prefereably with something nutritious, ideally with something hot.

Here is an article on Vendee Globe Racer nutrition, so figure they are on watch for most of 100 days or so. Much of it can be in quite heavy weather. According to the article they average between 3800-5000 calories per day.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/...e-skippers-eat

post #84 of 85 Old 07-30-2019

Everyone looks at passage food differently. Part of our routine on the crew questionnaire is about food allergies, preferences and dislikes. We start preparing food for passage about a month in advance. Dinners are precooked and wrapped in foil as single portion servings then frozen. Buy the small aluminum disposable baking trays and just aluminum foil depending on what it is. Soups and stews are homemade and placed in heavy gauge sealed bags so they can be just dropped in boiling water. Lunches are assembled as needed being mostly sandwiches. Contains are determined by crew likes. Breakfast depends on weather. Everything from French toast, pancakes, eggs over easy to oatmeal or cereal if there’s weather. We try to have dinner together. All other meals are dependent upon watch schedule. We carry rock climbing/ mountaineering MREs for weather. We have several Tupperwares filled with protein bars of crews liking and a junk draw of nuts, dried fruit, trail mix and sweets for snacks during watches. Hydration is something I watch as captain. I have on more than one occasion handed crew a bottle and said “drink this you’re dry”. I stock up on fresh bread, fruit and as much fresh veggies as possible as it’s so much better on multiple levels.
Other than talk eating is the major entertainment. People start out with buds in their ears but that behavior drops off quickly as the days go by.
Minnesail likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #85 of 85 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
That is a "Rich man's 'poor man's autopilot'" . A real poor man's autopilot is simply made of a heavy length of shock chord (or an old bicycle inner tube if you are really poor) stretched tightly across the cockpit. To engage the 'autopilot', take 2 or 3 wraps around the end of the tiller. To fine tune adjust the 'autopilot' rotate the turns around the tiller slightly one way or the other until the boat balances with the sail plan. On old boats with lots of weather helm the 'autopilot' can be set so that it pulls the tiller to windward and takes some of the load off the helmsman.
I have been playing with this and got it working pretty well.

Except I use a nylon cleat on top of my tiller. I can set it with a half figure 8 for light tension or full 8 for full tension.

Today, saw a rainstorm coming and set it up before the rain hit and steered the boat (Bay Hen) from inside the cabin about 2 hours. I just had to sneak out a few times to adjust sheet and "autopilot". This was light wind river sailing.

My Hen Has 5 opening ports plus the companion way, so good 360 vis from the cabin.
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in