PS 37 with Scheel keel. love it and sails very well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 99 Old 08-02-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Re: What Kind of a Keel do you Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Beautiful boat the Col 50. I have raced on one back when they were the newest thing out and it was a blast. love those boats. but as the bow man I had my life on the line on every downwind leg. the bow was way out there and that boat would swing from port to starboard so much it was not a place to stay for very long. and the number of broaches ,well i lost count every race.
33' boat with big weights hung 15' out on each end.
Recently raced my boat which is a 31' loa and 31' lwl against a COL50 with its 33' lwl and the boats were very close in speed all around the course. both boats have a PHRF of 96. they would get us going up and we get it back going down. It was fun watching them from behind steering all over the place trying to keep the boat under their spinnaker. saw three broaches one one leg. we sail the downwind a bit higher then the 50 with our asymmetrical and would just pass them by the leeward mark. that was a fun race, racing the old and new design head to head. we did give them room at the leeward mark once when we did not have to but I though the wiser was not to be looking at the bow of a 35K lbs boat with our 8k lbs boat. so they won by 7 seconds.
Great story, and very much spot on. Driving DDW is just not something I like to do on this boat. I avoid it entirely, and even then I rig a pretty heavy preventer just in case. I did not push my boat, ever, I'm no racer, although when two boats are on the same tack in close-ish proximity it's always an informal race.. An old friend of mine locally had one until he sold it last year, and we would get his C-50 really going, and have had it up to 12 knots, which is well above theoretical hull speed. But boy what a chore at the helm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #53 of 99 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
... I'm no racer, although when two boats are on the same tack in close-ish proximity it's always an informal race.. .
We hear this all the time. I don't think it's an informal race. But every sailor is or should be trying to get the max speed out of their boat. Why wouldn't they? When two boats are sailing the same course the skippers can see how much slower or faster their boat is sailing. If they are the slower they might be inspired to trim and see if they can get more speed. That's not a race.. that's what they should be doing.

There's usually many reasons why your performance is not what it should be or another boat is performing better... including a fouled bottom, old sails, towing a dink, poor trim and so on. It's rarely apples to apples and so whose winning is elusive.... and often meaningless. Sailors should know how well their boat can sail in the conditions... and go for that!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #54 of 99 Old 08-02-2019

Me thinks someone loses those informal races too often.......
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #55 of 99 Old 08-02-2019

I race against my sailing polar. Never changes. Donít need another boat in sight.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #56 of 99 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Me thinks someone loses those informal races too often.......
My boat seems to sail quite well compared to boats of similar size... Wifey commented on this this past weekend and wanted to know why the other boats were not sailing as well. Hell if I know.. just be happy that we'll get home sooner. ;-)
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #57 of 99 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My boat seems to sail quite well compared to boats of similar size... .....
These informal races are never handicapped, either.

We blew past a 30 something footer in the Bay last weekend, who was only flying their genny. No matter. Winner.

There was a time, when I was sailing conservatively between the Vineyard the Nantucket and just enjoying myself. A very similar LOA gained ground and was about to pull ahead. I hadn't trimmed in 30 minutes, I was just sitting back on auto pilot. Just as I thought I would take a pass, my 15 yr old (at the time) daughter sees the boat abeam and, with a forlorn look, says "Daddy, you're not going to let them pass us, are you?" Race on for the next two hours. It was clear that both crews were racing. We beat them to ACK by hundreds of yards. It was neck and neck, trading places all the way to Tuckernuck shoal, when we could come higher on the wind and smoked them.

On the other hand, we were sailing up East Passage many years ago, in very light wind on the aft quarter, which is our toughest point of sail and there is a ton of traffic to manage. From behind comes this swarm of little planing dinghies that just weave in and out of everyone and blow by us. I told my entire crew that we'd never speak of this again.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #58 of 99 Old 08-02-2019
Administrator

ArcB:

Your question sparked a lively discussion, lots of information shared and some interesting sidebars, but I was wondering if there was something in particular that you were hoping to find out.

Jeff
Arcb likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #59 of 99 Old 08-02-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. No, it was just intended as a conversation starter.

I do want to go for a ride on a Columbia 50 on a Lake Michigan gale now though Sounds like fun.
SanderO and SV Siren like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-02-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #60 of 99 Old 08-02-2019
One of None

Just for the reason of seeing one I looked at a endeavor 32 about two weeks ago, I didn't realize they had encapsulated keels,

10 minutes after looking at the boat I realized I don't want another boat, but I needed to see it to "know"

Anyway, what's the word on Irwin's encapsulated keel design?

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in