Stronger Anchor Tackle, All The Way To The Locker - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By overthehorizon
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2019 Thread Starter

Stronger Anchor Tackle, All The Way To The Locker

I prefer not to deal with Chinese Chain; something European or American made for me, thanks. But everything on the retrieval and storage end must be strong and reliable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=A4Qf04exvnw
RegisteredUser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-05-2019
Old soul

Re: Stronger Anchor Tackle, All The Way To The Locker

Uhmmm … yes?

Seems like you’re just trying to promote your youtube vid. Maybe ask a question, or start a discussion. This is a discussion forum after all.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Uhmmm … yes?

Seems like you’re just trying to promote your youtube vid. Maybe ask a question, or start a discussion. This is a discussion forum after all.
But the youtube vid is nice and informative.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-07-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
But the youtube vid is nice and informative.
Good to hear. So… how about discussing what’s so informative, or what you learned.

Again, this is a discussion forum. Sure, people can use it to promote their own pet projects, but I still think people should at least pretend to contribute here as well.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-07-2019
Master Mariner

I doubt you will find what you are looking for. I did a lot of research about chain before I bought this chain and I could find no American made chain and nothing in Europe with better numbers than plain old BBB galvanized chain sold through American (ACCO) or Canadian venders manufactured in China. I even investigated the $44.00 a foot SS German chain (trouble at the welds, which is why I gave that a pass), but dollar for dollar found that ACCO was the best I could do.
But strength in chain is a fallacy because no matter how strong your chain, it will never be strong enough to hold the weight of the boat once it is tight between the anchor and boat's bow. Never! That's why those who understand how chain works use snub lines and the heaviest chain (not strongest) for max cantenary effect.
As for disparaging the Chinese manufacturers these days, that's totally unfair. The Chinese manufacture to their buyer's specs exactly, so if a product is inferior, then you must blame it on the company that supplied the specs.
I should think we all learned that lesson from the Rocna debacle. Who won't buy a Rocna today, if the can afford one?
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in