Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Re: Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
The best example is about washing off sanding dust prior to the application of Coppercoat. Coppercoat says to wash dust off with fresh water. Yes, but how? With a brush, rag, just hose it… One can take a 3,000 psi, pressure washer, and wash a car and still have a layer of residual dirt left on the surface. Using a soft bristle brush, while washing the car, will be equally ineffective. A soft rag has to be used during washing to get that car clean. We found the same rag method was necessary when washing all the sanding dust off our boat in between sandings and fiberglass layups or more puttying. So following the Coppercoat directions might not be the best method for some boat owners. Just relying on wiping down with clean paper towels, or very clean rags, and alcohol, I felt was not enough.
While residual dust might interfere with adhesion, it wouldn't have any bearing on antifouling performance.

If one doesn't follow the manufacturer's explicit instructions, then what recourse does one have with the manufacturer?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 01-25-2020
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Look chief, there are some constants regarding anti fouling paints and one of them is that there is no reason to annually renew a paint that has a useful lifespan measured in years.

You don't even believe there is such a thing as an effective anti fouling paint, so your opinion about them is barely worth the electrons you used to post it here.
You're the guy who didn't even know that there are antifouling paints formulated for specific areas, as I remember. Back to the tiny microcosm.
I use antifouling paint and have done so for more than 5 decades, all over the world, including your tiny microcosm. Since I'm the one paying for poor performance, I believe I am in a position to make statements based on my experience. It just so happens that there are many others out there who also find the "antifouling" paint thing a con.
As for annual haul outs, again, your tiny microcosm springs to light, there are other reasons an intelligent boat owner may want to haul annually, other than to paint the bottom. But that is probably beyond a non sail boat owning bottom cleaner's knowledge base.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Why...?
Bad mood...?

post #24 of 38 Old 01-25-2020
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
But that is probably beyond a non sail boat owning bottom cleaner's knowledge base.
Yeah, yeah- you're the old salt who knows more than everybody else about all things nautical because you've been at it so long. Believe me, I get it. I run into your type on the dock all the time

Here are my bonafides:

25+ years as a professional hull cleaner
35,000 in-water hull cleanings performed
Board member- California Professional Divers Association
Certified hundreds of hull divers, boat owners, harbor staff, LEOs and water quality policy makers in state-recognized in-water hull cleaning Best Management Practices
Testified before state senate regarding legislation banning copper-based anti fouling paints in California
Co-authored a proposed amendment to said legislation
Consulted with state agencies and regional water quality control boards on anti fouling paint regulations
Worked with major paint manufacturers on in-situ testing of new anti fouling paints
Etc., etc.

I know it makes you feel like a big man to infer that I don't know what I'm talking about but I assure you, I've forgotten more about the subject than you ever knew.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-25-2020 at 02:28 PM.
post #25 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

stop the squabbling... it serves no purpose.

Anti fouling paints are biocides and do have an impact. My limited experience... 30 years with Shiva... is that they are not what they claim to be. I started having my bottom cleaned by a diver 3 or 4 years ago and realized it was money better spent and healthier. I got regular bottom inspections... and could... though never needed it... a change of zinc.

+++++

I would like to see a new bottom cleaning business model. It would be a floating twin hulled device with rotating bushes you slowing tow your boat through... like a car in a car wash. I don't see why the machine can't have arms with rotating brushed which could do almost any hull shape... including the keel... no foils ;-). The clean would be inexpensive and could take 10 minutes. Why not?
Skipper Jer likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #26 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

Anti fouling paints are biocides and do have an impact. My limited experience... 30 years with Shiva... is that they are not what they claim to be. I started having my bottom cleaned by a diver 3 or 4 years ago and realized it was money better spent and healthier. I got regular bottom inspections... and could... though never needed it... a change of zinc.

+++++

I would like to see a new bottom cleaning business model. It would be a floating twin hulled device with rotating bushes you slowing tow your boat through... like a car in a car wash. I don't see why the machine can't have arms with rotating brushed which could do almost any hull shape... including the keel... no foils ;-). The clean would be inexpensive and could take 10 minutes. Why not?
I would like to see them pull a 140 ft tanker through your device.😄
Bottom paint is an effective remedy for most of us.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #27 of 38 Old 01-25-2020
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
These already exist. Shall I tell you all the easily identified reasons they are inferior to having a human clean your boat's bottom?

And again, if you do your boating in a place where anti fouling paint is an option rather than a necessity because the fouling progression doesn't warrant it , hey, go without it. But for the very, VERY great majority of boats that live in the water, that simply won't cut the mayo. Effective anti fouling paint and regular in-water hull cleaning are two basic aspects of boat maintenance for most of us.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-25-2020 at 02:27 PM.
post #28 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post

Normally, scenes should be 3 to 5 seconds, to keep ones attention.
I beg to differ, quite vehemently. Maybe that is the case in a sitcom but not in a video that is supposed to inform the viewer about how to perform a certain procedure, at least if the procedure takes more than 3-5 seconds. I don't say that you have to show 9 hours of you guys painting the bottom but I don't see a serious 'How to' video as shallow entertainment with scenes never longer than 5 seconds.

Please do not underestimate the attention span of at least some of your viewers. If something takes a minute to do, and it is necessary to show this for a minute to understand what is going on, please do so instead of interrupting it by 'filler material' to keep every scene under 5 seconds. Maybe you lose some viewers that come for the entertainment value but you don't do a favor to those that are really interested in what you are trying to do.

Thank you.
post #29 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would like to see them pull a 140 ft tanker through your device.😄
Bottom paint is an effective remedy for most of us.
No no no.... for recreational boats with beams less than 15'

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #30 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Quote:

+++++

Google it. They exist. Unless all hulls are the same shape, they buff off paint and miss big areas. And the prop needs cleaned.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in