Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 01-25-2020

Re: Coppercoat Application, Screw Up or Did I Do Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Google it. They exist. Unless all hulls are the same shape, they buff off paint and miss big areas. And the prop needs cleaned.
My prop doesn't need much cleaning... and the drive thru can have a diver to catch the small missed areas... no problem mon

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-26-2020
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My prop doesn't need much cleaning... and the drive thru can have a diver to catch the small missed areas... no problem mon
Yeah, except you actually have to take the boat somewhere to have it cleaned. And that's just issue number one.
post #33 of 38 Old 01-26-2020
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Yeah, yeah- you're the old salt who knows more than everybody else about all things nautical because you've been at it so long. Believe me, I get it. I run into your type on the dock all the time

Here are my bonafides:

25+ years as a professional hull cleaner
35,000 in-water hull cleanings performed
Board member- California Professional Divers Association
Certified hundreds of hull divers, boat owners, harbor staff, LEOs and water quality policy makers in state-recognized in-water hull cleaning Best Management Practices
Testified before state senate regarding legislation banning copper-based anti fouling paints in California
Co-authored a proposed amendment to said legislation
Consulted with state agencies and regional water quality control boards on anti fouling paint regulations
Worked with major paint manufacturers on in-situ testing of new anti fouling paints
Etc., etc.

I know it makes you feel like a big man to infer that I don't know what I'm talking about but I assure you, I've forgotten more about the subject than you ever knew.
Wow! You are THE man! Wowie Zowie!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #34 of 38 Old 01-27-2020 Thread Starter

We have been sitting in this very nutrient rich estuary water, in Richards Bay, S.Africa, for 6 weeks now. Part of the prep for departing in a few days for East London, then onto Cape Town, was to go into this muck water, with 4 inches of visibility, and give the hull a wipe with a large, flat, soft sponge. I worked more by feel. What little I could see and what I could feel, Coppercoat is appearing to be working as it should. There were 3 little barnacles on the hull, at the tight junction where the drive shaft enters the hull. Actually I was happy to see and feel those barnacles as it shows what could have happened if the Coppercoat was a fail on the rest of the hull. The wipe with the sponge took a fraction of the time it would have taken to clean traditional antifouling free of sediments. It appears we are off to a good start.

One reason I hate going into suck muck water, and polluted marina water, is the near certain sinus infection to result. Immediately after finishing the underwater work, I stand on the dock and wash down with dish soap and lots of water. Nearly drowning my sinuses with faucet water, has helped to reduce or prevent a sinus infection. Not this time though. I wonder what the pros do about such health issues after scrubbing a boat bottom in a marina. Fstbttms, do you have any suggestions?
post #35 of 38 Old 01-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
I wonder what the pros do about such health issues after scrubbing a boat bottom in a marina. Fstbttms, do you have any suggestions?
I wear a full face mask. Water in my sinuses? What's that?

Seriously though, nobody I know in this business has a problem with sinuses, full face mask or no. Ear infections either, although some guys do take precautions against that.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-27-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
I wear a full face mask. Water in my sinuses? What's that?

Seriously though, nobody I know in this business has a problem with sinuses, full face mask or no. Ear infections either, although some guys do take precautions against that.
I guess I will have to get a better mask. I will miss my 12 year old mask which has been patched with silicone. It had never leaked too badly but I didn't use antifog (spitting never worked that well) so I had let a little water in to wash away fog and could not keep it out of my nose before purging. Darn.
post #37 of 38 Old 01-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
I guess I will have to get a better mask. I will miss my 12 year old mask which has been patched with silicone. It had never leaked too badly but I didn't use antifog (spitting never worked that well) so I had let a little water in to wash away fog and could not keep it out of my nose before purging. Darn.
When I started my business 25 years ago and still wearing a standard half-mask to dive in, I was also working nights in the pre-press department of the local newspaper. I spent a lot of time bending over light tables to register photo separations etc. Invariably water would come pouring out of my nose onto the light table. But even though I was obviously getting a lot of marina water in my sinuses, I never got an infection or any other kind of sickness. I suspect the marinas I work in are cleaner than most people give them credit for being.
post #38 of 38 Old 01-28-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
When I started my water would come pouring out of my nose onto the light table. But even though I was obviously getting a lot of marina water in my sinuses, I never got an infection or any other kind of sickness. I suspect the marinas I work in are cleaner than most people give them credit for being.
Funny. Yes, I know about faucet nose, and it can suddenly turn on at embarrassing moments. The cesspool marinas we have been at for the past decade are tropical, with water temperatures around 85F (29c) so the soup of microbes would probably be much different than found in the much colder water along the west coast of the U.S..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in