SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance/How-to Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/)
-   -   Offshore Sailing Tips (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/maintenance-how-videos/332642-offshore-sailing-tips.html)

overthehorizon 02-06-2020 01:28 PM

Offshore Sailing Tips

RegisteredUser 02-08-2020 08:37 PM

Re: Offshore Sailing Tips

The way i use my boat, it would be worth the effort to run fresh water pump switch to the galley
All of my plumbing is hose clamped and had a hose come off the pump outlet..took me a while to learn that sound, at that time.
I depressure the line after each use..or try to
Its 2 steps back and forth between galley snd panel

capta 02-08-2020 09:10 PM

If you are still bumping into rocks, you aren't far enough offshore to call it offshore sailing.

Minnewaska 02-09-2020 07:20 AM

I'm sure a wrap of tape would keep a pelican hook closed, but if the pin has been pulled, I don't think it will be very strong. I think I'd rather see it was open, than accidentally fall into a gate that was only held by one wrap of tape. Then again, I've never had a sheet accidentally pull a gate open.

I was originally taught to keep the fresh water pump off on passage and used to be more disciplined about it. I've even had a fresh water hose split and dump a good portion of fresh water into the bilge, while underway, because it was still pressurized. However, needing to turn the pump back on, from the galley or any head is a PITA. I hate using the head and finding no water, when trying to wash hands and it's too late.

I've tried to think of other solutions. Maybe a light at the helm that illuminated, when the fresh water pump was running. My bilge pump used to have an alarm that sounded, if it ran continuously for more than a specified number of seconds. I found it to be fluky and disconnected that feature in favor of a standard float alarm.

Don L 02-09-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051652182)
If you are still bumping into rocks, you aren't far enough offshore to call it offshore sailing.

:devil:devil:devil:devil

Minnewaska 02-09-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051652182)

I didn't follow this? Was there something in this vid or some other exchange?

overthehorizon 02-11-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051652222)
I've tried to think of other solutions. Maybe a light at the helm that illuminated, when the fresh water pump was running. My bilge pump used to have an alarm that sounded, if it ran continuously for more than a specified number of seconds. I found it to be fluky and disconnected that feature in favor of a standard float alarm.

The Seven Seas Cruising Association, did a questionnaire of people who were in ARC (Atlantic Rally to the Caribbean) concerning water usage. The results showed those boats that had only pressure water, went through far more fresh water than those which also had foot pumps at the head and galley. Foot pumps are so easy to use with so many advantages. A foot pump in the galley for salt water to wash and rinse dishes, then rinse with fresh water, from a foot pump saves a ton of water. I think Capta is of the age when this was the norm....long before anyone had thought of the term "reverse osmosis".