SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to Make Popcorn on a Boat

6K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Ineptune 
#1 ·
A very basic video I made on making popcorn on a boat.

Old hat for many sailors.

There are a lot of good reasons to use popcorn as snack on a small boat, or even a bigger boat. Weight, density and cost are a few good reasons :)

#4 ·
Paul, the little pot is a bit tricky. I don't think I have spilled anything, but I have burned my fingers a couple of times. However I do really like that cook system. I think it's about the smallest I have used. The stove nests inside the pot. So the total volume of the cook system is about 1 liter and weight without fuel is about 330 grams. There are no moving parts or jets to get clogged and no tank to pressurise. It always works. Its about the same heat as my Origo, hotter maybe. It doesn't have the same safety features as an Origo though.

Jiffypop was how I started making popcorn like this. We were trying to make jiffypop on a fire in the rain and it wasn't going well. A house boater couple saw us and brought over a pot with a lid, some oil and salt and showed us this method. Do it any where on a fire, stove, could probably do it over a candle :)

#5 ·
Reactions: Arcb
#6 ·
Get the oil hot enough to boil off a drop of water. I have a teflon lined pot, which is for popcorn ONLY.
Use high heat.
Add popcorn, shaking fairly often.
If possible, it helps to cook it on a slight heel, as this keeps the unpopped kernels in the oil and the popped stays out of the oil.
When done, I add salt, Cumin and lots of Parmesan cheese.
Oh, and some heat such as a touch of Habanenero powder.
YUM !

#10 · (Edited)
Well some people's palates won't see the difference that's for sure������

The way I look at aside from me being a foodie, why should I put inferior products in my gut when for the same basic money I can put a superior product in . That's not being gourmet , that's being intelligent.

So for a little thought you can get a superior popcorn all measured with the correct amt of oil in the package. That's not gourmet.

To make it understandable since you live in Hawaii....do you want to drink Folgers or do you want to drink Kona......both are coffees.

But I do understand, especially in American home of the hot dog, where people today really aren't food conscious. They eat out, don't cook, have little variety, eat lots of prepared processed foods or fast food. I mean it's easier to eat an Eggo than make a waffle from scratch with good flour.
European and Asian cultures appreciate food and the culture of eating together.

The one improvement the newer generation ( millennials) bring to the table (sic) is nutritional values and quality sustainable ingredients. The eat much better than I did ( boomer) or the subsequent following generations. So there is hope.

All that in a popcorn discussion.������������������������������

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
Hiked in one trip, the 2278 miles of the Appalachian Trail takes about five months. I retired in 2004 with intentions of (among other things) going sailing and hiking the AT. It took me until 2017 to finish the AT as family matters and illnesses got in the way. We never made the long trip on the boat, but we have made thirteen trips from North Carolina to the Bahamas staying aboard for five or six months each time.

I have done volunteer maintenance on the trail since the 70's. In fact, that is what I'll be doing again today. It's not all that unusual to see Europeans or Australians on the trail.

#25 ·
For what it is worth, on the boat, I make pop corn with an Italian bent. I use a normal sauce pan with olive oil to pop the corn, and add dried parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. All of those ingredients except the parmesan live aboard Synergy.
Jeff