Massachusetts Boatyard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-09-2017 Thread Starter

Massachusetts Boatyard

I did a little submerged rock surfing... oooops! It would be easy to blame someone else but I was in charge so it's my responsibility. I realized we had gone wrong but wasn't quick enough to avoid the impact. Yes, I feel really stupid. Anyway we hit the keel and the rudder - the steering is now stiff, so I suspect that the rudder shaft is bent. 'Won't know what other damage there is until it is hauled. I did try to take a look but the water was so murky I couldn't see much.

'Looking for somewhere that can haul the boat, drop the rudder and repair any other damage. Either a full service yard or somewhere to haul with good onsite/nearby contractors that can do the necessary repairs. The nearest place is Boston Harbor Shipyard but I had a bad experience there so I am looking for somewhere else and the place I would like to go is just too far with a damaged rudder. I am looking for a recommendation and/or anywhere to avoid within about half a day or so of Boston. I did an online search and there are several possibilities but I thought I would ask before I picked one at random.

I have reported my indiscretion to the insurance company as I think it's going to be expensive but they weren't very helpful about where to get it repaired. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Geoff

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Massachusetts Boatyard

I do recommend Brewer's Hawthorne Cove in Salem based on personal experience, nice people, reasonable cost in boat dollars. Dions in Salem has a good local rep. Marblehead Trading is good, maybe more boat dollars.

Custom Fiberglas in Weymouth does good quality work, from personal experience. Avoid Hewitts Cove in Hingham.

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-10-2017 at 10:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingfool For This Useful Post:
Geoff54 (08-10-2017)
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2017

Take it to Marina Bay, If you have Sea Tow (I don't know why anyone wouldn't spend the ~$200 a year for the piece of mind) have them tow you to Marina bay. Call the Marina first and let them know what you need. Aaron is the head mechanic I think (If hes still there), he's very nice and helpful when I had my boat there and needed it pulled a few times.
They have plenty of storage and a huge lift. Their shop is on site too with a dry dock yard on the property. Hope this helps.
-Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to FULLSEND For This Useful Post:
Geoff54 (08-10-2017)

post #4 of 14 Old 08-10-2017

Dions in Salem.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleemus For This Useful Post:
Geoff54 (08-10-2017)
post #5 of 14 Old 08-10-2017
Captain Obvious

superslomo may be away from his computer. But he had work done on his boat at this place Buzzard Bay and Cape Cod Boat Sales, Boat Service, Dockage, Mooring and Storage - Neds Point, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

He had nothing but good things to say about them. It was a nice yard,and they treated us well when we were there.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Geoff54 (08-10-2017)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I do recommend Brewer's Hawthorne Cove in Salem based on personal experience, nice people, reasonable cost in boat dollars. Dions in Salem has a good local rep. Marblehead Trading is good, maybe more boat dollars.

Custom Fiberglas in Weymouth does good quality work, from personal experience. Avoid Hewitts Cove in Hingham.
Thank You! Salem looks good but Custom Fiberglass/Tern Harbor is much easier to get to - both initially with the boat and back & forth by land while there. I think I'll give them a call and see what they say. I like the idea of a short gentle motor, just in case the damage is worse than it appears.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #7 of 14 Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLSEND View Post
Take it to Marina Bay, If you have Sea Tow (I don't know why anyone wouldn't spend the ~$200 a year for the piece of mind) have them tow you to Marina bay. Call the Marina first and let them know what you need. Aaron is the head mechanic I think (If hes still there), he's very nice and helpful when I had my boat there and needed it pulled a few times.
They have plenty of storage and a huge lift. Their shop is on site too with a dry dock yard on the property. Hope this helps.
-Mike
I assume that you are referring to Brewer Marina Bay. I don't think that I'll need a tow - I was able to bring it back to Boston and put it on a mooring without assistance but I have BoatUS if necessary. Marina Bay is also close so I'll call them as well. Thanks!

post #8 of 14 Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Dions in Salem.
Another vote for Salem. That sounds like a good option if I decide to go a bit further. Thank you!

post #9 of 14 Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
superslomo may be away from his computer. But he had work done on his boat at this place Buzzard Bay and Cape Cod Boat Sales, Boat Service, Dockage, Mooring and Storage - Neds Point, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

He had nothing but good things to say about them. It was a nice yard,and they treated us well when we were there.
Thank you for that suggestion but it a bit further than I want to go. I don't want to push things so it would be a day down to the canal and half a day or so to Mattapoisett. I initially thought that I would take it to Fairhaven but then decided I really didn't want to go that far. I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Another vote for Salem. That sounds like a good option if I decide to go a bit further. Thank you!
And if youneed sail work done Brad and Jack at the North loft at Dions are good blokes.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in