Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19 - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken111 View Post
As registered nurses, we are exempt from the 14 day quarantine requirement, we have copies of our license onboard. We are exempt in other states as well, Rhode Island being another.

https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-poli...e-resources-to

http://www.townofberlin.com/home/new...antine-14-days
Again trolling us.

Sorry this doesnít fly. You arenít on medical business where your being a nurse supersedes the law of the land. What hospital are you working at in Cuttyhunk or Marthaís Vineyard. Nurses traveling on 62 ft Oysters really does make sense.

Should you decide to come into port and get off the boat, Iím sure the authorities who will find you are there, wonít find your rationalization even reasonable since your intended purpose is sightseeing, reprovision etc as you have stated here in print.

Why would You would potentially put us all in danger , a sailing community which you so care for or even other humans which professionally you care about supposedly. I have to think you are continually trolling for a reaction.

Trolling is not allowed on this site. I am not posting this as slagging, but you are continually to troll us all .

If you are going to break the law, please stop posting about it throwing into our faces. To use your arguments about newbies, I would hate for a newbie to think we all do what we want when we want to and not follow laws just because we disagree with them. Most of us in this SN community follow the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Self justification knows no bounds.

Combined with sociopathic lack of concern for others' welfare

a dangerous combination.
post #93 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

You know, guys, if someone is trolling, the worst thing you can do is keep biting.

You are giving someone great satisfaction.
eherlihy likes this.

post #94 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
....That's the problem with sailors, they don't all fit in a nice, neat little box.
Thatís for sure. There simply arenít enough of us to make a statistical difference either. It cracked me up to read the local press on St. Thomas who bemoaned having a few hundred boats in the harbor. An island, with 50,000 residents!

Most measures, including wearing our masks are only designed to reduce spread, not eliminate it. I donít think there are any enforcement fines for not wearing one in R.I. In fact, there are exceptions to being asked at all: children, claustrophobia, breathing disorders, etc. A local mayor suggested people publicly shame those not wearing, but the Governor rightly pointed out you canít know exceptions. Thereís a reason we donít allow vigilantes.

We canít achieve 100% compliance, just like 100% compliance wonít prevent 100% of transmission. Just knocking it down significantly. I simply stay well separated from those not wearing one. No drama.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #95 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I think there are legal remedies for those who are asked to quarantine for 14 days and outright refuse. I know in Maryland they detained someone who was from NY when the virus was at peak there. He was stopped in Maryland and asked to quarantine , which was the governors order, he refused on some constitutional grounds and said he would not comply and was taken away in cuffs. It was all over the news stations.

A law without teeth or enforcement is useless.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #96 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Typical gov move...opportunity lost
Should have been promoted in advance
Could have put 20k people in landover with 2 seat and 1 row social distancing at $40 a ticket.
Handcuffs are silly. A roofing company and broiler farm wouldve donated the tar and feathers.
Not counting lost tv advert revenue...and memorial face masks
The tailgating opps too...jeez, what a loss
post #97 of 114 Old 5 Days Ago

Throughout this event think we all should do what makes sense in terms of known science and current situation. Unfortunately we cannot expect our government to be always in accordance to that. If one follows known science and current situation think it highly likely you wonít ever violate rules nor law.
Itís sad that so many in our country are egocentric and not concerned about others. Itís sad on both right and left this event has been politicize. Leading to unnecessary lock down quarantine in some isolated localities and absence of minimal public health measures in others. Itís tragic the lack of leadership that would make us able to balance covid against economic impact to achieve a reasonable balance. Absence of such balance will lead to otherwise preventable death, illness and hardship.
I donít think we are being trolled. Itís worse than that. He just doesnít care to be inconvenienced. See the same behavior in the local supermarket, drug store, local park and gas station. Think it particularly important be mindful of transmission risk as we reopen has a second wave will be exponentially worse economically as well as the human toll.
skipmac and capecodda like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #98 of 114 Old 5 Days Ago

"I am of the tribe that thinks X"

becomes more important than being sensible.
post #99 of 114 Old 5 Days Ago

On Friday May 22nd the Nantucket Harbormaster allowed boats on moorings. The boat basin is open and a few boats came in over the weekend. As of an hour ago one boat is on anchor...people are wearing masks/buffs etc., and saying hello which is good!

Not sure about how the quarantine is or could be enforced? Regardless, people should come to the island and wear their mask when six feet cannot be maintained, wash your hands or carry hand sanitizer, do take out food, the fried clams at Sayles, tuna poke, Indonesian chicken drumsticks at Nautilus or other restaurants, don't depend on groceries or provisioning on the island (s) "because its like winter and the shelves are not filled cause the harbor is frozen and boats can't get in", stay out of public restrooms and go for walks, go fishing and enjoy the island, the island(s) is here for all of us, just respect it!
chef2sail and outbound like this.
post #100 of 114 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
......Think it particularly important be mindful of transmission risk as we reopen has a second wave will be exponentially worse economically as well as the human toll.
I guess weíre going to find out, because the virus will continue until a vaccine is found. Iím a bit more optimistic.

As far as virus transmission goes, I think enough got an education, during this round, that I would think it would be lower next go around. We should be quicker to the masks and distancing next time. Not everyone will do it, but literally no one did it early last time, not even congregate care facilities.

I think a spike would need to be exponentially worse for any government to so drastically shut down again. They should have been smarter the first time, but next go around they should be more focused on the vulnerable, indoor density, distancing protocol, etc. The predictable human toll, from the shutdown itself, is only beginning to reveal itself.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in