Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19 - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

Re: Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken111 View Post
We’re coming to Martha’s Vineyard to go cycling and sightseeing, if your persistent pestering is an indication of the local hospitality we’ll encounter while there, we will be quite content to avoid and not patronize any local businesses.
By the way, if you decide to anchor in Lake Tashmoo there has been some shoaling since it was dredged last year so enter with caution. Around the end of the inner end of the jetties there is a hump that at last report was around 4' MLW. The harbor master also asks that you not anchor in the grass in the central harbor. There is a sign and map on one of the channel markers when you first enter the harbor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

https://c.o0bc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.57.54-AM$large.png

Current phases in Massachusetts re-opening. Think there’s a disconnect in some some people’s thinking between what governments will allow and commonsense.

Throughout my sailing life some of my family and close friends thought I was nuts. Never could understand why I preferred ocean sailing or near shore to close coastal. Single or short handed to full maximal complement. Sail over motor. As with everything looked at the statistics and tried to discern the reality. In a well found boat with skilled crew and good weather routing/decisions believe ocean is as safe as coastal . Depending on health and fitness believe there’s no more risk with a small competent crew. As I’ve aged I have avoided single handing but would have no reluctance in doing coastal jumps or inter island jumps that way. But try to distinguish my wants from my needs. Try to not place myself or others at risk. I live in a place with very high tick disease prevalence. I like to wander through the woods to get to that perfect fly fishing stream or tree stand in season. I’ve been successfully treated for Lyme twice in spite of my best efforts to decrease risk. I strip in the mud room and do a check. I carry my clothes to go into the machine immediately and run it. No one except me has gotten Lyme. At the first sign of Lyme I’ve been treated. No lingering effects. Also at times I’ve treated various infectious encephalitis and meningitis patients. Not infrequently several at one time.I’ve never gotten ill nor been a vector.

But covid is different. First, my household and first order relatives contain high risk people. Unlike Lyme there’s a risk of lethality with covid. Unlike when I was actively exposed to infectious material ( CSF, body secretions) with covid my exposure times are unknown. Unlike simplex or other encephalitides there’s no known effective therapy commonly available. I love my family. I care about others. I worry about my country. So regardless of what reopening rules exist I will continue to try to not be a vector nor get infected. In absolute terms risk maybe low but can be made negligible with minor inconvenience. Benefit of not being infected nor serving as a vector is huge. Fight against internal immediate gratification, egocentric thoughts. Look at risk/benefit of your behaviors. Realistically the new normal is a minor inconvenience you can surmount and have great fun. I’m still hoping that by the fall I can safely get back to the boat. In the meantime “life is good”.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 1 Week Ago at 09:13 AM.
post #73 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
If we’re met by judgmental people wielding pitchforks like yourself, we simply won’t spend any money at their establishment. There’s always plenty of food onboard, cycling is enjoyable, we can buy things on Amazon or ebay if the locals don’t want our money. Simple solution.
Quote:
We’re coming to Martha’s Vineyard to go cycling and sightseeing, if your persistent pestering is an indication of the local hospitality we’ll encounter while there, we will be quite content to avoid and not patronize any local businesses.
Perhaps Nantucket would be more to your liking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #74 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I am sure they will be very happy to do without your presence.

The money is irrelevant, I'm not sure why you would think others would prioritize economics over public health as you seem to.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.
post #75 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Please chill.

Slagging off people and places earns a ban. The rules have not changed.

Read my lips.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 AM.
post #76 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

For the rest of us that don't speak UK-ish;

"To slag someone off means to criticize them in an unpleasant way."

And, yes, I had to look this up.
oldfurr likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #77 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Ah but Mark speaks Strine which is a sub-dialect of UKish.
eherlihy likes this.
post #78 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

I had to look it up also....though he was referring to us as lewd or promiscuous women and had gone on a long walkabout😁

Definition of slag (Entry 1 of 3)
: the dross or scoria of a metal

slag noun (2)
Definition of slag (Entry 2 of 3)
slang, chiefly British
: a lewd or promiscuous woman
slag verb
slagged; slagging

Definition of slag (Entry 3 of 3)
transitive verb
chiefly British
: to criticize harshly

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #79 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

And, back to the original subject of this thread. Here's a link to the latest official guidelines for visiting the Cape and Islands.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1590165543

Here are a couple of excerpts.

Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, and the Elizabeth Islands are small year-round communities whose residents appreciate, welcome, and depend upon you, our seasonal residents, non-resident homeowners, seasonal workforce, and visitors.

During the COVID-19 pandemic and the upcoming summer season, we all understand the desire to return to visit, work, or live on the Cape & Islands. So far, we have been successful in limiting the extent of the impact of COVID-19 on our communities by implementing early and vigilant social distancing measures per the guidance of the public health officials.

• The Governor of Massachusetts has:
Issued an order requiring that you protect yourself and others with a face covering/mask in public places where social distancing is not possible.
− Advised that individuals practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from others
− Stay vigilant for symptoms and stay home if you’re sick

• If you are planning to travel here, please be advised that the Governor of Massachusetts is urging all travelers to the state to self-quarantine for 14 days through Phase 1. Please visit Mass.gov/reopening for details and updates.
chef2sail likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to skipmac For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (6 Days Ago)
post #80 of 114 Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
And, back to the original subject of this thread. Here's a link to the latest official guidelines for visiting the Cape and Islands.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1590165543

Here are a couple of excerpts.

Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, and the Elizabeth Islands are small year-round communities whose residents appreciate, welcome, and depend upon you, our seasonal residents, non-resident homeowners, seasonal workforce, and visitors.

During the COVID-19 pandemic and the upcoming summer season, we all understand the desire to return to visit, work, or live on the Cape & Islands. So far, we have been successful in limiting the extent of the impact of COVID-19 on our communities by implementing early and vigilant social distancing measures per the guidance of the public health officials.

• The Governor of Massachusetts has:
Issued an order requiring that you protect yourself and others with a face covering/mask in public places where social distancing is not possible.
− Advised that individuals practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from others
− Stay vigilant for symptoms and stay home if you’re sick

• If you are planning to travel here, please be advised that the Governor of Massachusetts is urging all travelers to the state to self-quarantine for 14 days through Phase 1. Please visit Mass.gov/reopening for details and updates.
I am assuming with part two that cruisers who decide to come ashore that the 14 days quarantine goes into place no matter how they have felt they have previously quarantined. Course I would think this doesn’t apply to those passing through stay on their boats.

Do you know if the harbormasters will try and enforce this? I have some friends traveling up that way in the next three weeks.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in