Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19

It looks like this is going to be, at best, a shorter and limited sailing season in the Northeast.
https://vineyardgazette.com/news/202...g-season-looms

ETA - Maine is struggling with the issue too; http://www.islandinstitute.org/worki...dents-we-worry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 1 Week Ago at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard and Covid-19

Before covid our plan for the year was to sail to BVI then Naragansett Bay in the spring once the usual end of winter early spring fronts settled down. Spend the summer meandering up to northern Maine. Then work down to Norfolk VA to pick up the fall SDR. Now we’re stuck. Boats in St.Lucia and we’re in MA. Have many friends in the same boat with variations in where in the Caribbean their boat is and which state they are in. We’ve decided to skip the summer season. Have sailing dinghy will use that. Others have their boats in their home states but have deferred launching. Concerns I hear from them are the same regardless of situation:
Additional expenses secondary to change in plans. Not worth the additional expenses to go cruising given current situation.
Worries about safety and risk of infection. Not while sailing but rather while going in and out of various harbors. For many sightseeing, walking around, shopping, trying local cuisine is a big part of cruising.
Worries about how they will be received as they travel. Will they be looked at as potential vectors and be shunned.
So those who are wet say they will just daysail. Those who are dry say they will skip the season and not launch.
Personally expect a lot of movement initially as people try to get their vessels to their home states. Then a very quiet season with occasional day sails.
Hard on the coastal tourist towns. I live in one. Normally start to see a lot of out of state license plates by now. That hasn’t occurred.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Out's analysis is a good one. I do think people will sail, weekend cruise but limited the tourism and shore side activities. We sail to Newport to enjoy the town... and that ain't happenin' till the coast is clear re C19. We will sail there.... hang on the hook and sail locally... more SAIL then "cruise".... but nut day sail... boat is too far to drive to for a day sail.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago
Banned

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Out's analysis is a good one. I do think people will sail, weekend cruise but limited the tourism and shore side activities. We sail to Newport to enjoy the town... and that ain't happenin' till the coast is clear re C19. We will sail there.... hang on the hook and sail locally... more SAIL then "cruise".... but nut day sail... boat is too far to drive to for a day sail.
Not what Maryland seaside resorts are experiencing nor Cape May. Pent up energy has people starting to open up the towns.

I think it may have something to do with the tourist cities for the wealthy vs most of the other ones.

Scenes from Ocean City, Maryland boardwalk last weekend showed it very crowded. Scenes from Myrtle Beach, SC and California Beaches surely are not showing desolation.

I would expect to see some substantial drop off but I don’t think the resort areas will be completely dead. It will take time for people to work out the social distancing thing when they are public as many have been isolated sequestered in their homes.
post #5 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Hope you’re right Chef. Our Water Street and Main Street as well as the hotels BnBs, motels make nearly all their money between late spring and into the fall. I had a bumper sticker “so they call it tourist season- so when can we shoot them”. Still, the tax base of my town depends on tourism.
Unfortunately don’t see it going that way.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Sensible people will continue to be very cautious
jephotog likes this.
post #7 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago
Banned

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hope you’re right Chef. Our Water Street and Main Street as well as the hotels BnBs, motels make nearly all their money between late spring and into the fall. I had a bumper sticker “so they call it tourist season- so when can we shoot them”. Still, the tax base of my town depends on tourism.
Unfortunately don’t see it going that way.
Yes understand. NE is markedly different that where I am where most boats are in marinas. They don’t depend on transients for profitability. In fact many are like yacht clubs and don’t even have transients .

I agree many will be very cautious. I will be for sure.
post #8 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

If things go well, I expect to see something that resembles a season near Jul 1 around here. Most boats are either already in the water or on the hard being heavily prepped. Not seeing many take a season pass, but I'm sure there will be an exception or two. I suspect our Canadian neighbor will pass.

Personally, I can't imagine taking a pass on the season, just because the towns are not accepting transients. I enjoy cruising the coast as much as the next guy, but my boat is far more than a vehicle to get to dinner on Sat night.

I bet I sail the Bay more than usual, anchor out and BBQ more. I never day sail, I always anchor out. This year may be different. Perhaps there will be a tad more time at the slip, but it's still totally worth it for me to have the boat in the water and staying aboard.

I do not think the seasonal house rentals are coming back in strength all summer. Maybe last minute. Maybe. In RI (MA too I believe), out of state renters are still subject to 14 quarantine. They're the majority of the crowds in some towns. It will be quiet. Maybe the upside is it will be easier to distance.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

Had not read the specifics about the delayed launching and opening of the harbors and yards on the Vineyard but last word I had was there are no restrictions on who is allowed to travel on the ferries, no requirement to quarantine for any visitors and as far as I know, no restrictions on boats entering Vineyard Haven harbor, the Lagoon or Tashmoo. I think there are restrictions for now on short term rentals IE hotels, BnBs, etc.

There are strict rules on wearing masks, limits on number of customers in stores, restaurants and all the usual.

By the way, word is that after a major dredging project in Tashmoo, currents over the winter made a 3 1/2' MLW hump in the entrance channel. Soft and at high tide you could probably plow through with 5 1/2-6' keel.
post #10 of 114 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
....no requirement to quarantine for any visitors and as far as I know, no restrictions on boats entering Vineyard Haven harbor, the Lagoon or Tashmoo......
Why would you say that? The entire State of Massachusetts requires a 14 day quarantine for visitors. I thought the islands were even more restrictive. I know that Block Island was initially requiring quarantine of anyone, even those from it's own State to quarantine.

I think these will begin to loosen slowly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in