Calling all Mirage 27 owners - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 08-08-2016

Re: Calling all Mirage 27 owners

I'm looking to buy a mirage 27 for 8000CDN. I'm to have it surveyed, what are thoughts on this price point? It has some upgrades and extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 08-08-2016

Mine is 1980 with many upgrades, paid 10K cdn about 3 years ago. where is this, what upgrades and what kind of shape? do you have the survey and what if anything are they suggesting wrong with it?

I want to be a sailor when i grow up, my wife says i can't do both.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-08-2016

mine is 1980, hull 323, auto pilot, 2 burner propane stove and heater, full instrumentation with repeater in cockpit, came with 7 sails (2 spinnakers), self tailing winches, anchor, swim platform, pressure water, 3 batteries, Yanmar diesel (re-powered at some point as original was saildrive), wheel steering, all cushions including cockpit, bimini and sides for cockpit, electric cooler, vhf radio, stereo, all lights changed to LED bulbs and/or fixtures. since purchase have added 8'dingy, extra LED lights throughout cabin, holding tank with Y valve to make me legal, steel cradle. Depending what $8000 cdn gets you, as long as hull and deck in good shape, sail inventory, what works and what doesn't.................................??

post #14 of 16 Old 08-09-2016

It's got 2 marine batteries, two redundant gps systems, solar trickle charge, extra battery charger vhf, and a hand held unit that does all the vhf does and more. Main, Genoa, spinnaker. 4 anchors, a cradle, deck box, head, electric water pump for sink, stove. Self furling for Genoa. Helm steering with. Wheel . 2 electric bilge pumps. Atomic 4 in great shape. Was maintained over the years. Some of the engine was rebuilt in 2010. Bimini, led tv and blue ray, icebox, cushions in good condition. Auto helm. It's in the water at port Stanley Ontario.

I want to have it pulled for a survey. The last one was done In 2014, and there wasn't much wrong with it. Some problems with the stantions which seem fine to me. Some reporting about possible de lamination on the rudder...this was all taken care of though I believe. The current owner has had it for 3 years and loves it. Has to sell because of divorce. Has had minor problems and fixed them along the way. The hull and bilge is bone dry.

Last edited by Vecctron; 08-09-2016 at 01:24 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-09-2016

Is it called "sunkist"? if it is, i read the scope of it and looks real good. The gear as described sounds good, expect some replacements as you start to sail because as i found, what one person thinks is ok, you may not. Coming from a safety background and my family is on the boat, I replaced a lot of rope and shackles and went through the entire electrical system. found some "extra splices" in wiring that were fixed in 30 minutes and just makes you feel a lot calmer.

I had to re-bed half the stanchions on my boat first season. Small leaks, did my deck hardware as well, small jobs but no leaks afterwards. butal tape works wonders and they haven't leaked since. My only challenge has been my stuffing box and attached stuff. Mine leaks a little more than it should and this winters project is to pull the shaft, replace the hoses and re-stuff the box to make it dryer. Last winter re did the exhaust system, and motor mounts for the yanmar diesel. not hard, just a lot of thinking before you turn a nut.

My biggest issues, not really big, but have been from previous owners who did a "fix" but it was a sham job at best and 30-60 minutes and the right stuff and it is as good as new. some people just don't get it.

Dan Faulkner, lives in North Bay, has sailed Mirages for a long time. Has a 33. He was a great source of expertise to me when i first purchased. [email protected]

I was directed to him by Robert (Bob) Perry, original designer of Mirage 27's. [email protected]. Bob is still active on Sail Anarchy website and seems to answer lots of questions I did a lot of research on my Mirage before i purchased. I sent him a copy of my survey and asked him about it. Both he and Dan said "...sight unseen, looks like a good boat...:.

I also tracked down Dick Steffen, who started and owned Mirage Boats. He directed me to a guy living in Halifax who worked the production line at Mirage. Wolfgang has a lot of knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
ATT63533.jpg  

post #16 of 16 Old 12-15-2016

Hello Koinonia M27 323.
Sounds like you have done a fair bit of work on yours. Have you ever pulled the ruder?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in