post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2017

Re: Any Mirage 26 with outboard??

Posted this in another thread, but may be worth reading:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/3972057-post23.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 06-25-2017

Regarding the OMC Saildrive, I have come to the conclusion after owning and relying on one for 22 years, that the more critical a persons opinion of them, the less they know about them...this includes outboard mechanics.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-10-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
So the 6HP you will be getting is for the dinghy? Or are you going to mount it on the boat? For dinghy you will need a standard shaft. For boat you will need a long shaft plus remote controls. If a permanent installation, go for a bigger engine and make sure prop is submerged to proper level. Even still it will come out of water in waves.

Hope that OMC saildrive keeps working. They not considered too unreliable! Good links here: Make sure the drive to hull seal is good!
Question regarding that... I was going to get the 6 for the dinghy and then use it to move the boat in emergencies by hip backing

However I had an epic fail and the boat motor failed this past weekend (water in cylinder again). Long story short I'm trying one last thing before giving up. But now i was thinking of mounting the the bracket on the back of transom and use the motor for the dinghy or sailboat depending on the situation for use.

I did some research and understand that the cavitation plate has to be just below the water. Now with the adjustable height bracket, why does it make a difference to buy a short or long shaft if you can mount the bracket at an appropiate height to achieve the depth in the water? Or am i missing something stupid and obvious here... haha

post #14 of 14 Old 07-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRye View Post

I did some research and understand that the cavitation plate has to be just below the water. Now with the adjustable height bracket, why does it make a difference to buy a short or long shaft if you can mount the bracket at an appropiate height to achieve the depth in the water? Or am i missing something stupid and obvious here... haha
Possible reasons?
- Access - being able to pull the starter cord. The motor bracket can usually be raised, so perhaps you can start motor with it up and then push it down? Hopefully still get at controls?
- Mounting the bracket low so it does not interfere with rudder when both are turned toward each other could be a challenge depending on transom geometry. I have seen too many rudders with prop gouges!
- Prop needs to be in clear flow of water from under boat.
- Prop needs to be submerged more than on a power boat so it will stay submerged in waves.

You can/could get motors designed for sailboats that have the exhaust outlet higher than standard. The engine can be mounted deeper without excess back pressure on the exhaust. On those motors, the normal exhaust outlet behind the prop is blocked off so when going astern gases are not sucked into the prop. Regular motors don't work well in reverse. Prop pitch is normally lower on these motors.

Have a walk around a few marinas and have a look at boats with similar transom height. Might give you some ideas of just what will work. I found the picture below. That boat has a 9.9HP Yamaha, but doesn't say if it is a long shaft/ This looks like same boat: 26 foot Mirage Sailboat East Regina, Regina. Looks like the bracket gets the motor far enough back so it doesn't interfere with the rudder.

One of thos electric outboards might be better, but kind of expensive for one big enough.
Attached Thumbnails
mirage 26 outboard.jpg  
DaveyRye likes this.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 07-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Tags
mirage 26 , outboard , outboard mount

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in