Any Mirage 26 with outboard?? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-06-2017 Thread Starter

Dock
Exclamation Any Mirage 26 with outboard??

Hello!

I purchased a Mirage 26 as a starter boat late in the season last year... the few times ive been out on it I had a blast. However my season has been in a downward spiral since issues last year. This year I have water in a cylinder and after replacing all gaskets it's still there and i have come to terms of mounting an outboard out back.

Just wondering who has an outboard mounted on the back of the 26 and what size HP ? I did some reading and saw a 6HP should be sufficient. Thoughts?

Also wondering about the mounting brackets (which models are good do people reccomend?)

Any input is greatly appreciated! I have spent way to many hours pulling the motor apart and repairing and just want to sail!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-07-2017

Re: Any Mirage 26 with outboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRye View Post
Hello!

I purchased a Mirage 26 as a starter boat late in the season last year... the few times ive been out on it I had a blast. However my season has been in a downward spiral since issues last year. This year I have water in a cylinder and after replacing all gaskets it's still there and i have come to terms of mounting an outboard out back.

Just wondering who has an outboard mounted on the back of the 26 and what size HP ? I did some reading and saw a 6HP should be sufficient. Thoughts?

Also wondering about the mounting brackets (which models are good do people reccomend?)

Any input is greatly appreciated! I have spent way to many hours pulling the motor apart and repairing and just want to sail!!!!
Is that the Canadian built Mirage? Does it have one of those OMC saildrives?

Regarding outboards, I would think that a larger OB would be better - 9.9HP long shaft would probably do it. Probably need to reinforce stern on inside to take bracket loads.

Hopefully you can find other owners who have dealt with same problem.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2017
Doesn't sail enough

Friend used an old Johnson 7.5 long shaft (based on the common 6) on his Tanzer 26, was plenty.

'78 Dolphin 31

post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

Inland lakes, the mirage would be nicely driven by a 6hp long shaft outboard... if only semi protected waters, I'd be looking towards 9.8hp.

Lets talk Tohatsu, as they actually make the Merc so the motors are the same (essentially).
The 6hp is 55lbs
The 8hp is 81lbs
The 9.8hp is 81lbs..
So if you are going to 8hp, might as well go 9.8

Also there is a substantial weight difference between the older used 2stroke motors of various horsepower, and the newer 4 stroke motors. Pay careful attention to the actual weight of the outboard. Modern garelick outboard mounts will have designations by HP rating, and will define that rating as either for 4 stroke or 2 stroke... you'll note that a 4stroke outboard bracket rated for 8-12hp will have beefier springs than a 2 stroke outboard bracket for same. Most will now show ratings for max weight as well as type of outboard, make sure you don't exceed the rating for the bracket.

Agreed with others, you'll need to beef up your tramsom with some kind of heavy duty backing plate.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2017

The Mirage 26 and the Mirage 27 (same boat updated) originally had a 15HP OMC saildrive. That was their Achilles heel. Many replaced with outboards (easier on 26) or new inboards. The diesel option was usually a Yanmar 2gm, I believe. So about 12HP?

This is a bigger boat than a Tanzer 26 and with possibly more windage. I would use a 9.9 longshaft. Try to find examples with outboards installed and see just where they mounted bracket so there is no interference with rudder.

The Mirage 26/27 is a pretty good boat for the price and Mirage were one of the best Canadian builders when it came to fiberglass work. Sometimes a bit cheap on deck hardware, but that can always be upgraded.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2017

This one had a 9.8HP Tohatsu -stroke with remote controls and alternator. Add-ons make sense!

http://sailingtexas.com/201301/smirage26102.html
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

Thanks for all the feedback! I will be getting a 6HP. However a miracle happened and i was able to revive my inboard OMC Zephyr! I wasn't patient enough when I thought all the water was gone from the crank when it flooded. However, I don't want a scare this season so I will be purchasing a dinghy and throw a 5 or 6HP on it for emergencies / increase the amount of things to do while anchored.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRye View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I will be getting a 6HP. However a miracle happened and i was able to revive my inboard OMC Zephyr! I wasn't patient enough when I thought all the water was gone from the crank when it flooded. However, I don't want a scare this season so I will be purchasing a dinghy and throw a 5 or 6HP on it for emergencies / increase the amount of things to do while anchored.
So the 6HP you will be getting is for the dinghy? Or are you going to mount it on the boat? For dinghy you will need a standard shaft. For boat you will need a long shaft plus remote controls. If a permanent installation, go for a bigger engine and make sure prop is submerged to proper level. Even still it will come out of water in waves.

Hope that OMC saildrive keeps working. They not considered too unreliable! Good links here: The omc zephyr saildrive Make sure the drive to hull seal is good!
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2017

If you are planning enjoy that boat for a long time, like a decade, it would be good to replace that awful OMC "boat anchor" with a modern Betamarine sail drive.
You would get back some of the $$ outlay in reliability, some in enjoyment of the boat, and some in resale value.
Remember that an OB bracket on a boat with a deceased IB engine murders the resale value.

(We love our boat, but.... while the Wind might be 'free' everythingl else costs time or money!)

post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
If you are planning enjoy that boat for a long time, like a decade, it would be good to replace that awful OMC "boat anchor" with a modern Betamarine sail drive.
Had to look that up! Sounds like it is a Kubuto diesel. Looking at drawings, do you think that would fit in same place as an OMC saildrive?

I recall that the Volvo/Honda hybrids were at one time a good unit. Seems at least one OMC drive owner used one as a replacement: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...nt-unit.25426/ It seems that the current unit is called a Saildrive 330 MkII

An electric saildrive would be a neat addition! Deep Blue saildrive - Saildrive from Torqeedo Or even an electric outboard with batteries further forward to balance weight. Not exactly inexpensive options!

With used sailboat prices where they now are, it is probably hard to justify swapping the saildrive for a new one. I haven't looked, but this must be a common dilemma for those with OMC saildrives. Seeing some early Mirage 26s had outboards, that is probably way to go. But don't under power .

Tags
mirage 26 , outboard , outboard mount

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in