Mirage 33 good and bad - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-17-2018 Thread Starter

Mirage 33 good and bad

Hi all,

Have just taken the plunge on a 1982 Mirage 33. I'm looking for advice on the boat in terms of the good and not so good points of the boat. What to watch for, what might need attention (other than the stem plate). Where any leaks might come from, any mods to make the boat more liveable etc.

I have a dozen years sailing experience and have owned 2 sailboats previously so am looking for specifics on the Mirage 33.

Any and all advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-17-2018

Re: Mirage 33 good and bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973TR6 View Post
Hi all,

Have just taken the plunge on a 1982 Mirage 33. I'm looking for advice on the boat in terms of the good and not so good points of the boat.
Really, you're going to ask this crowd to tell you the bad points of a boat you just bought? It seems like the time to inquire about bad points, is before you buy it. After the sale, could end up feeling depressing.

I found this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/WiGZhqdlDZY

And there have been discussions on this site:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...king-info.html
olson34 likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-17-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, Yes, the bad and the good.... I have briefly sailed a Mirage 33 before and found it a bit tender and also had a tendency to round up with the wind off the stern quarter (just like my Hunter 31). Had to be quick on the mainsheet with the Hunter also. I did quite a bit of research before buying her but am interested in other peoples experiences and what they found worked / didn't work. It's all personal experience but sometimes someone comes up with something that makes you think "that's obvious, why didn't I think of it"

Storage solutions, what modifications were made, extras added, bells and whistles that were (or not) worthwhile. All good info......

post #4 of 28 Old 11-17-2018
Barquito

Welcome to Sailnet. Can't go wrong with a Bob Perry boat! If you are interested in cavorting with other Perry boat owners (and the Maestro himself), there is a Facebook page.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 28 Old 11-21-2018

I too have a 1982 Mirage 33, going on 3 years now. So far I haven't found any problems other than what would be expected from an older boat. Construction seems above average for the type of boat and always has a dry bilge. What type of sailing do you plan on and where?
post #6 of 28 Old 12-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShock33 View Post
I too have a 1982 Mirage 33, going on 3 years now. So far I haven't found any problems other than what would be expected from an older boat. Construction seems above average for the type of boat and always has a dry bilge. What type of sailing do you plan on and where?
Apologies for the late reply. We will be cruising in the Pacific Northwest - San Juans, Gulf Islands, Vancouver, Desolation Sound etc, also possibly a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. I have done quite a bit of club racing so that's a possibility also.

We are currently making the boat more "livable" which involves updating some electronics, adding lighting, storage solutions, and so on. The current project is chasing down rain water leaks and I need to re bed one of the salon fixed portlights but can't figure out how to get the old ones off as there are no visible screws.

Any suggestions ?
post #7 of 28 Old 12-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973TR6 View Post
Apologies for the late reply. We will be cruising in the Pacific Northwest - San Juans, Gulf Islands, Vancouver, Desolation Sound etc, also possibly a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. I have done quite a bit of club racing so that's a possibility also.

We are currently making the boat more "livable" which involves updating some electronics, adding lighting, storage solutions, and so on. The current project is chasing down rain water leaks and I need to re bed one of the salon fixed portlights but can't figure out how to get the old ones off as there are no visible screws.

Any suggestions ?
It would help to know the make of the ports. The exterior trim rings on some plastic ports are just glued on with silicone sealant.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-11-2018

Another guy bought one here this last year, GuyFromtheNorth I think. He replaced the stem fitting as it is a known week point with a custom made one. From what I have read about the boats they are well made. I wanted to look at a M35 when I was in Canada last summer but the timing did not work out.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-11-2018 Thread Starter

It would help to know the make of the ports. The exterior trim rings on some plastic ports are just glued on with silicone sealant.

They are the originals with the boat, I can't see any makers' name. The exterior is aluminum and doesn't appear to be thick enough to support hidden screws. The inner trim is plastic and may be hiding fasteners from the inside but I don't want to do any damage prying them off.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-12-2018

For the salon fixed portlights repair on sailing anarchy a guy named dan33 or you can look up by his boat name gatekeeper, he posted a good step by step on his portlight repair. I need to replace my as well but thinking on doing it a different way than his, not better just faster. So far in the time I have owned my boat most of my repairs have been wiring, factory boat wiring leaves much to be desired and even worse were the PO attempts at adding to it. I haven't done it but behind the salon seat backrests there is what seems like a large void between the hull and liner you could cut access holes in there for storage other than that there doesn't seem to be and excess use of interior liner. I have been thinking about sound insulation for the engine compartment but haven't spent much time coming up with a plan but seems like it could be beneficial.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in