Mirage 33 (and similar) spreaders - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 01-31-2019 Thread Starter

Mirage 33 (and similar) spreaders

I should have posted this last fall but here goes. Something to watch for when inspecting your rig, specifically the Mirage 33\35 from the 80's, possibly others if they use similar mast configuration.

After I pulled the stick in the fall I was taking my standing rigging off for inspection and I noticed on BOTH spreaders the trailing edges were cracking\split. The crack started at the base (closest to the mast) and went up almost 1.5-2inches. The boat has not beeng abused and these were not new, they have been travelling for a few years now (noted by the slight corrosion) which leads me to believe it's a failure spot in the design as opposed to a one off from a storm or a bad rig tune.

I can do alot of things but welding thin aluminum is not my game so I brought them to a machine shop. I worked with them for a decent fix and the best way was to stop drill the cracks, then fold over a piece of aluminum and tig weld it in place. This will beef up the trailing edge, stop the crack from re-appearing, and once I paint them you won't even notice the patch from the deck.

Just a heads up for anyone with a mirage of any vintage or size that has an isomat mast with the flat "wing" style spreaders. If in a good gust or tack the spreader(s) would have snapped backwards or collapsed due to the crack it may have been...real bad.

Pics attached, I totally forgot to snap pics of the cracks before the fix was applied, but it's not hard to see if you have them.
Attached Thumbnails
20181222_134808.jpg   20181222_134754.jpg   IMG_20181222_172831.jpg  

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in