The Morgan 43? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Question The Morgan 43?

In the process of looking to purchase one(mid 80's to 90), what can be expected from this model in comparison to other models similar to it?

From actual experience, what are it's pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-15-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Re: The Morgan 43?

I don't have any experience on this design, but a search yielded some good input. Check out these threads:
Morgan 43 for Offshore Cruising - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...cockpit.71144/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
Dispatch (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I don't have any experience on this design, but a search yielded some good input. Check out these threads:
Morgan 43 for Offshore Cruising - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...cockpit.71144/
Appreciate it...

post #4 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I’m not sure the differences between the Morgan 43 and the Morgan 44 but looking at the data on Sailboatdata.com, they’re seemingly pretty similar.

I have owned the latter for 12 years and have done extensive passages with her. She’s a solid seaworthy boat with a reasonable turn of speed (I budget 150nm a day on a passage and am rarely disappointed) and for the current price of a mid-eighties model, the accomodation is excellent. We have taken a severe beating in serious weather out at sea and the most stable element was the boat - she never faltered.

Just remember that most of these boats were built for the Caribbean charter market and are thus not that fully specced. I have done a lot of upgrades to mine over the years and will do a lot more offshore cruising over the next decade if my age/health permits. The age/health of the boat are not at all in question.

Also, when I got mine, the genoa cut was 100% and the boatspeed suffered a little. Now have 135% and the difference is significant.

The only con I have with mine and all other centre cockpit boats is that unless you have decent protection, the forward position of the cockpit can very wet and unpleasant in bad weather on the wind. We have a full enclosure that provides great protection from the elements and is in my view absolutely essential (see my avatar/profile pic).

Last edited by Cassidy; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cassidy For This Useful Post:
Dispatch (4 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in