Rub Rail part - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2017 Thread Starter

Rub Rail part

All,
Another question for those who have a N28-2. On the outside edge of the deck, starting below the outside bottom edge the toe rail, my N28-2 is missing something. The bottom fiberglass edge of the deck overhang is exposed. There is a line of rivets or rivet holes spaced about four inches apart along the entire length of the boat. At the bow, there was a short piece, maybe a couple of inches long, that looks like a piece of plastic corner moulding that is still attached by rivets . This piece is attached flush with the fiberglass deck edge, and closes of the gap between the outside edge and the hull side.

The first question, is this the correct piece that is supposed to cover this area, or is this a PO installed part that failed? I have seen another N28-2 that did not have the piece either, but also no rivets/holes.

Second, if this not the correct part, what should be there?

Third, does anyone know of a source for the correct part?

And finally, does anyone have a picture of, or can take a picture of the correct part installed on their N28-2?

Just for reference, my boat is a N28-2 1982 model, hull number 461.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2017

Re: Rub Rail part

Mitch,
A picture would help a lot!

Once you make ten posts you can attach pictures, so just make some comments on any thread of interest to you to get your count up, then give us a pic or two.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Deina. I'll read through some of the other posts and make some comments. The rub rail part is not critical, but it would look a little better with it repaired.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2017 Thread Starter

OK, time to get back to this issue. As previously stated, I am searching for the plastic piece that encloses the deck to hull flange area. Anyway, here are some pictures of the part I am lookin for on my boat, a couple of pictures of a different boat with the same type of edge, and a third boat that is using a different type of edge piece. Hopefully the pictures will explain what I am looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCI1261a.jpg   DSCI1263a.jpg   IMG_4334a.jpg   IMG_4338a.jpg   IMG_4336a.jpg  

post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2017 Thread Starter

Here are the last two with the different type of edge. I can actually locate this type of edge, and have even found a supplier for this edge strip. Of course to get it in the necessary length, I will have to purchase a 250ft piece. Way more than I need, but at least it is available.

Judging from these pictures, this does not look like and original piece. The reason I say this, is the presence of what appears to be evenly spaced holes drilled through the edge that look like the rivet holes on mine.

If I end up going with this type of edge, I will probably inject some black 5200 into the piece before I install it in an effort to make sure it stays put. Any thought on this idea?

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
P4250047a.jpg   P4250052a.jpg   P4250053a.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in