Man dies after falling off sailboat headed to Mexico from Keys - Miami Herald - SailNet Community

LinkBack Article Tools

Old
Man dies after falling off sailboat headed to Mexico from Keys - Miami Herald
by NewsReader 05-13-2015

Man dies after falling off sailboat headed to Mexico from Keys
Miami Herald
A man died after falling into the ocean while sailing with his wife on his way to Mexico from the Keys Monday morning. The man, who the U.S. Coast Guard is not identifying, fell off his 38-foot sailboat. He was tethered to the starboard side of the ...

More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 865 Comments 9
Total Comments 9

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015

Re: Man dies after falling off sailboat headed to Mexico from Keys - Miami Herald

Wasn't there a new-ish member of SailNet that wanted to sail with his wife to Mexico from the Florida Keys?
Old 05-13-2015

Re: Man dies after falling off sailboat headed to Mexico from Keys - Miami Herald

Oh man. Really?

Old 05-13-2015

Like this example; https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...y-west-fl.html

Just bought a 1967 Morgan 34, and was trying to get there by a certain date.

I HOPE it is not him...

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2015

Does not look like the same boat/person. Awful story, for sure.
I wonder exactly how he died (drowning, blunt trauma, or something else).
And seems like it would be a good idea to train with your partner how to retrieve someone who fell overboard. With all the blocks, winches, boom, and other stuff, there ought to be a way to haul someone on deck even by a relatively weak person.
Old 05-13-2015

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

Training your partner is key here. There was a similar story of a Pacific crosser last year where the man/captain fell off the boat and his female companion had no clue what to do, so the boat sailed off without him.

I give my new sailors a one minute 'what to do' if I fall over. Simply put, release any lines holding sails up. That will at least slow the boat and give someone a chance for rescue. I'm also a shore/daysailor, so it's not that complicated to get help.

It's also easy to make a phone call where we sail!
Old 05-13-2015

I know of several cases where men have been pulled to a drowning death by the harnesses that were intended to save them and in two cases even with knowledgeable crew aboard the yacht that could not react quickly enough to stop/slow the boat in bad conditions. Because of this the latest thinking in terms of tethers, is one that connects both to the front at the chest, with a snap shackle and the second at the rear, between the shoulders. In extremis, the victim can at least release his/her front fastening after which he/she will be dragged backwards, on his/her back, with the head/nose/mouth facing away from the on-rushing sea. It is something we've been looking into.

FWIW...

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-13-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 05-13-2015

I can easily see how this could happen.

Example; I was giving a docking challenge (part of ASA 103) to two students last weekend, on a newer boat. We are undocking the boat in a stiff breeze, probably 15kts, I tell the challenger handling the lines that they need to move quickly when they remove the spring (final) line, yet the wind blows us off before the line handler can get aboard.

I am trying to get the words "STAY THERE" off my lips when the challenger jumps to the boat, and grabs a stanchion. The challenger then pleads that we should return to the dock because they are loosing their grip, to which I clearly tell the helmsperson (who was also challenging docking); "Do NOT return to the dock!" I help the person at the stanchion get more settled with both hands on the stanchions, and have them hang on.

I then grab a bow line, bring it under the challenger's butt, and rig an elevator, by running the line around a winch, and haul their butt back on board. There is more to this story (a prop wrap/narrow channel/running aground/advanced line handling), but that is the relevant part to this thread...

The net is that the elevator technique is not discussed until ASA 104, but it will be a part of all of my classes going forward.
Old 05-13-2015

...and that MOST sailors do not know how to do this.

I believe that if I fell in, that my wife would probably not know how to bring me back aboard, unless I taught her BEFORE we left.
Old 05-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
...and that MOST sailors do not know how to do this.

I believe that if I fell in, that my wife would probably not know how to bring me back aboard, unless I taught her BEFORE we left.
Two observations. Couples really shouldnt be going offshore without both being able to operate boat. But perhaps more important tethers need to be rigged short enough to keep you In the boat. My boats small so my static line runs up the center of the boat and my two tethers are set up to impede my going past the gunnel! I know its not always convenient but once Im in the water my chances go down dramatically solo or not! Anyway its still easy to make that one mistake...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in