Two women lost at sea for five months on small sailboat rescued - The Globe and Mail - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Article Tools

Old
Two women lost at sea for five months on small sailboat rescued - The Globe and Mail
by NewsReader 10-27-2017

The Globe and Mail

Two women lost at sea for five months on small sailboat rescued
The Globe and Mail
A planned voyage from Hawaii to Tahiti aboard a small sailboat didn't start off well for two Honolulu women. One of their cellphones washed overboard and sank into the deep blue water on their first day at sea. From there, things got worse. Much worse.

and more »

More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 2314 Comments 25
Total Comments 25

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017

Re: Two women lost at sea for five months on small sailboat rescued - The Globe and M

beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/women-lost-at-sea-for-five-months-on-small-sailboat-rescued-by-navy/article36748215/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

"All four looked remarkably fit, and Appel credited that to veteran sailors who had warned them to prepare well for the voyage. They had packed enough food for a year, mostly dried goods like oatmeal and pasta.

"They said pack every square inch of your boat with food, and if you think you need a month, pack six months, because you have no idea what could possibly happen out there," Appel said. "And the sailors in Honolulu really gave us good advice. We're here."

Appel, who has been sailing the Hawaiian islands for 10 years, said she had been planning the Tahiti voyage for more than two. But she acknowledged that perhaps she and Fuiava, a novice at sea, weren't as ready for the crossing as they could have been.

"I had no idea what I was getting myself into," she said. "When I asked Natasha, I told her I have no idea what's going to happen out there and she said, 'That's OK, I've never sailed."'

Planing for over two years and the idea of having an EPIRB on board never made the list?

MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by mbianka; 10-27-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2017

Re: Two women lost at sea for five months on small sailboat rescued - The Globe and M

Half the stuff they say in interviews doesn't make much sense. I can't help but start to wonder whether this is some weird performance art publicity stunt.
MarkofSeaLife and oysterman23 like this.

Old 10-27-2017

Could be worse, but another pair of ill-prepared Darwin Award aspirants "living the dream" detected all the same...

Old 10-27-2017

On today's television news report, it appeared as though the boat was ready to sail. Mast was there, sail was there, they spent 5 months looking at it? What am I missing.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 10-27-2017

Dock

Somebody please God tell me the boat lost steering and I'd feel better that we rescued these um... folks.
Old 10-27-2017

In 2000, while powering through the Pacific High, we hit a small piece of fishing net and took out our transmission. With no wind we wallowed around for a few days until we used gennaker in light winds to get us moving. We sailed back 1000 miles to Vancouver Island. The only problem occurred when the winds died at the mouth of Juan de Fuca and we spent 1.5 days drifting before we could sail into Port Renfrew. The only time we asked for any help was asking Tofino traffic to warn ocean going ships of our presence.

That might explain my cynicism.
Faster, oysterman23, CVAT and 1 others like this.
Old 10-28-2017

Yup! Just as detected, XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX no business being out there unattended.

Hopefully someone competent will be able to use what looks like a perfectly fine boat once the patchouli and dog smell's been aired out of the cabin.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-28-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed per forum rules- Jeff_H SailNet Moderator
Old 10-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgemaster View Post
Yup! Just as detected, [Removed] with no business being out there unattended.

Hopefully someone competent will be able to use what looks like a perfectly fine boat once the patchouli and dog smell's been aired out of the cabin.
I think there is going to more of these stories from now on. Perhaps more people will feel "empowered' as blondie was to make this journey. Maybe it's from the educational system where everyone gets a medal school instead of hard knocks. Except now they will think everyone gets rescued! So let's just buy a boat and go cruise around the world.

Last edited by Donna_F; 10-28-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Removed already edited URL from previous message.
Old 10-28-2017

How sad is it - when before the facts are in, indeed when very few facts are in - the first reaction is what is sadly becoming the fakakte reaction du jour: skepticism/conspiracy and worries about "the cost to taxpayers". A waste of electrons...

Another round for my well lubricated barstool expurts...

Last edited by Capn Jimbo; 10-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in